Play Nice Society, Religion & Politics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I must admit I had to google the term "Cancel Culture" as I'd not heard that term before, what a horrible, horrible thing! Will we ever get a world where people just get on with life and with each other and not have the need to feel superior to everyone else?
I guess not, unfortunately it's not human nature 😟

this is the modern driver of religion
centuries ago, arguably, it was fear of the unknown in the universe ... that excuse doesn't wash now

To be fair, they're all bogus.
Yes anyone who invents a guy in the sky who you can talk to but never receive a message from must have been a genius. Because religion has been making millions off this secret person that is invisible, mute and blesses everyone without them knowing. I mean if you actually tell people God has talked to you and you have a message for them they call you a Saint. If I said some invisible man was talking to me the TV would put me in a straight jacket and drag me off to the Loony Bin.

So whoever invented religion and sucked billions of people into believing must have been the best con man of all time

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Money. International brand

Bit gross but is what it is

Is Qatar Airways really any worse than

VW (Dieselgate, plus the obvious Nazi history)
Nike (Sweatshops, child labour)
Channel 7 (Everything + Luke Darcy)
Coca Cola (Environment)
The Star (Gambling/Social issues)

Is Qatar Airways really any worse than

VW (Dieselgate, plus the obvious Nazi history)
Nike (Sweatshops, child labour)
Channel 7 (Everything + Luke Darcy)
Coca Cola (Environment)
The Star (Gambling/Social issues)
Let's be honest. Making people listen to their commentary team could easily be treated as a war crime.

Yes anyone who invents a guy in the sky who you can talk to but never receive a message from must have been a genius. Because religion has been making millions off this secret person that is invisible, mute and blesses everyone without them knowing. I mean if you actually tell people God has talked to you and you have a message for them they call you a Saint. If I said some invisible man was talking to me the TV would put me in a straight jacket and drag me off to the Loony Bin.

So whoever invented religion and sucked billions of people into believing must have been the best con man of all time

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app
First of all I think you're confusing Christianity with Religion, and secondly this has nothing to do with General AFL discussion.

I really don't understand people's desire to deride other people's beliefs, it reeks of insecurity.

First of all I think you're confusing Christianity with Religion, and secondly this has nothing to do with General AFL discussion.

I really don't understand people's desire to deride other people's beliefs, it reeks of insecurity.
Not a single one of them is either provable or disprovable. Best left alone.

Not a single one of them is either provable or disprovable. Best left alone.
If a belief helps someone live a happy, full life and die in comfort with a belief that there is something to look forward to on the other side then who am I to question that. So long as someone doesn't use that belief to harm others or justify being an awful person then there is no harm. Unfortunately, in all belief systems, you have some that take a very literal belief, which the church (or equivalent) does not endorse and that is then used to denigrate the belief system.

If a belief helps someone live a happy, full life and die in comfort with a belief that there is something to look forward to on the other side then who am I to question that. So long as someone doesn't use that belief to harm others or justify being an awful person then there is no harm. Unfortunately, in all belief systems, you have some that take a very literal belief, which the church (or equivalent) does not endorse and that is then used to denigrate the belief system.

or continue to try to preach or shove it down your throat even after you've told them (nicely) to knock it off
or going door to door
or pushing landfill into your letterbox

Interesting proposal... it could mean that sites like this one may have to employ paid moderators in order to comply with the new laws...
Government: government shouldn't get in the way of citizens!

Also government: meanie said mad things I wanna know who so I can sue and get in the way of the citizen

Interesting proposal... it could mean that sites like this one may have to employ paid moderators in order to comply with the new laws...

If that happens, I suspect myself and many other will just withdraw from the sites that require this.

Which is exactly what the government wants.

Btw, this will be used exclusively by the AFP to protect the LNP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that happens, I suspect myself and many other will just withdraw from the sites that require this.

Which is exactly what the government wants.

Reminds me of what happened to the FriendlyJordies staff and the FPU in NSW

Yeah, don’t like the idea of these laws being used to protect those who already have power...

It's not about you, Gladys...it's about me!

another 'woman' problem for the govt, wouldn't do as she was told

another 'woman' problem for the govt, wouldn't do as she was told

Still cannot fathom how anyone can look at the liberal party in good faith and say 'yep'.

Still cannot fathom how anyone can look at the liberal party in good faith and say 'yep'.

wondered that for most of my life, but certainly the past 25 years

morrison has adapted so much of his style of public speech, his tone, his behaviour from trump ... how he's been speaking about the berejiklian/icac situation in nsw is the latest, starkest example ...
but the federal coalition has shifted this country further from what used to be accepted as basic tenets and rules and institutions of democracy ... porter, taylor, sukkar, that thug dutton, cash ... you've got the nationals who are, collectively, a frightening comedy sketch show ... and then you're getting further into the extremist rabble fringes
but it's not just this current crop of imbeciles ... every coalition figure who accepted the behaviour of tony abbott/alan jones during the gillard years is complicit
and jones should've been jailed over the cronulla riots

among the most gut-achingly outrageous examples of public hypocrisy came from the abbott supporters who publicly lamented the "cruel" and "insensitive" treatment of abbott after he lost warringah to steggall at the last election, led by certain high-profile media commentators, mostly linked to one media company

i stopped arguing some time ago that labor was much better, they're mostly a bunch of party hacks but at this stage they haven't completely abandoned the principles of integrity and democracy

wondered that for most of my life, but certainly the past 25 years

morrison has adapted so much of his style of public speech, his tone, his behaviour from trump ... how he's been speaking about the berejiklian/icac situation in nsw is the latest, starkest example ...
but the federal coalition has shifted this country further from what used to be accepted as basic tenets and rules and institutions of democracy ... porter, taylor, sukkar, that thug dutton, cash ... you've got the nationals who are, collectively, a frightening comedy sketch show ... and then you're getting further into the extremist rabble fringes
but it's not just this current crop of imbeciles ... every coalition figure who accepted the behaviour of tony abbott/alan jones during the gillard years is complicit
and jones should've been jailed over the cronulla riots

among the most gut-achingly outrageous examples of public hypocrisy came from the abbott supporters who publicly lamented the "cruel" and "insensitive" treatment of abbott after he lost warringah to steggall at the last election, led by certain high-profile media commentators, mostly linked to one media company

i stopped arguing some time ago that labor was much better, they're mostly a bunch of party hacks but at this stage they haven't completely abandoned the principles of integrity and democracy

Agree with much of your points. Over the last 30 years the country has become more mean spirited. Howard's ddog whistling, the Tampa etc were final death knell to bipartisanship on multiculturalism and refugees. The extreme right and tin shed evangelists have long infiltrated the Tories.

I am deeply depressed about the joint and I deeply regret being stuck here for inescapable personal reasons.

Agree with much of your points. Over the last 30 years the country has become more mean spirited. Howard's ddog whistling, the Tampa etc were final death knell to bipartisanship on multiculturalism and refugees. The extreme right and tin shed evangelists have long infiltrated the Tories.

I am deeply depressed about the joint and I deeply regret being stuck here for inescapable personal reasons.

yep, definitely ... hypocrisy, injustice, ignorance, small-minded self-interest, greed and dishonesty are unfettered ...
the wealthy 'haves' exploit what howard's mob cynically labelled the 'aspirations' of the under-educated 'have-nots', and the right of politics perpetuates the 'bogeymen' myths of unions, foreigners, teachers, the young, anything that maintains the 'us-and-them' fear conservatives have always invoked

Remove this Banner Ad

Back