International Development

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, but for every one "success" story, there are 2 or 3 barely standing still.
Countries like South Africa, Iceland, Spain and Samoa have all gone backwards in the last 12 years or so.
You might even be able to throw Norway and Finland into that group.
The lesson could be to pick your 10 strongest countries and focus on them.
Pointless casting the net wide, and of course, anywhere where the local league consists of 80+% ex-pats is not worth talking about.

Countries like South Africa, Iceland, Spain and Samoa have all gone backwards in the last 12 years or so. You might even be able to throw Norway and Finland into that group.

What facts do you have to support that ?
Scandinavia would have to be considered a success since spreading from Denmark and Sweden across Scandinavia.
The Pacific is doing particularly well a.t.m.
To say South African football still running adult leagues without the previous support has to be a be a big tick.

The lesson could be to pick your 10 strongest countries and focus on them.
Pointless casting the net wide, and of course, anywhere where the local league consists of 80+% ex-pats is not worth talking about.

Do you have any concept how Australian Football is spreading and developing ?
Where there is AFL there is large numbers involved.
The rest, and the overwhelming majority of Australian Football overseas is by "organic growth".
Some of those organic growth areas have been so successful that they do now receive some financial support.
i could go on but you're only interested in negative comments aren't you.

Yeh...nah.
Samoa...defunct
Iceland....defunct
Haven't heard too much out of Norway and Finland for a while, if not defunct, pretty damn close.
Spain?
South Africa - hanging by a thread, declined massively from where it was 12 years ago.
As for comps where it's mainly ex-pats playing, well, so what, not sure how anyone could claim that as some sort of victory. Means nothing.
The above ones are the ones we know about. There are countries where nothing has been heard for many years.
Not long ago, you proved the point by referring to 10 year old web sites.
The fact is, overall, we are no better off than where we were 12 years ago.

Yeh...nah.
Samoa...defunct
Iceland....defunct
Haven't heard too much out of Norway and Finland for a while, if not defunct, pretty damn close.
Spain?
South Africa - hanging by a thread, declined massively from where it was 12 years ago.
As for comps where it's mainly ex-pats playing, well, so what, not sure how anyone could claim that as some sort of victory. Means nothing.
The above ones are the ones we know about. There are countries where nothing has been heard for many years.
Not long ago, you proved the point by referring to 10 year old web sites.
The fact is, overall, we are no better off than where we were 12 years ago.
You seem to be taking some interest in International Footy because of your unofficial tracking of various countries.
Your comments about consolidating the International effort to a few countries need expanding. Care to expand on that. Where would you concentrate on.

You seem to be taking some interest in International Footy because of your unofficial tracking of various countries.
Your comments about consolidating the International effort to a few countries need expanding. Care to expand on that. Where would you concentrate on.

I've been tracking for around 22 years.
That's why I say with confidence, on the whole, our game is no further ahead than where it was about 12 years ago.
I stand by what I said: just standing still in this space requires a massive effort.
It makes sense to me that you limit your effort, in terms of resources and energy, to a limited number of countries.
The sort of criteria you would consider:
- near neighbours (NZ, PNG, Nauru, maybe Timor Leste)
- anywhere where there is a constant stream of aussies coming and going, in particular, where sizeable numbers of local people are already involved, e.g. UK, Ireland, US, Canada, maybe Denmark, maybe Croatia, maybe France
- anywhere which makes some sense in terms of existing facilities and ties, e.g. India, but then again, South Africa fell into that category at one point, they have slipped irrevocably.
In one sense, I'm preaching to the converted because the AFL spends next to nothing spreading the game, they know it takes far, far more than we can ever afford, for meagre returns, if any.
The only option is a very narrow focus, and even then it may not be worth the trouble.

It makes sense to me that you limit your effort, in terms of resources and energy, to a limited number of countries. The only option is a very narrow focus, and even then it may not be worth the trouble.

And that's EXACTLY what the AFL has done.
In fact many fans (those looking O/S) have widely criticised the AFL for not doing more.
Your reasoning seems very misplaced.

- near neighbours N.Z.

In fact a massive investment in N.Z. with massive numbers with the AFL looking at playing out of Auckland.

- near neighbours PNG

In fact massive progress in P.N.G. with football bouncing back due to the AFL utilising aid money.

- near neighbours Nauru.

Are you joking. Nauru is 100% Aussie Rules- it's easily the most passionate Aussie Rules place on Earth.
What more could anyone do except transplant Nauru into Australia somewhere.

- near neighbours Timor Leste

Population 1.3 million. Unfortunately tied to the $US and has no convenient connections.

- near neighbours

How about Fiji. Fiji is going great guns now with development officers. Solomon Islands also but too small.

- anywhere where there is a constant stream of aussies coming and going, e.g. UK,

The BARFL has disappeared and now you have AFL England, Scotland and Wales.
The BARFL yo-yo-ed until they got rid of the Aussie influence and started 9-a-side competitions.
There are now some junior and school leagues. great effort.

- anywhere where there is a constant stream of aussies coming and going, e.g.Ireland.

AFL Ireland is a very strong performer based on Gaelic Football and without Aussies.
Unfortunately, the Irish men love their GAA but on the women's side Ireland could produce an AFLW Celtic side.

- anywhere where there is a constant stream of aussies coming and going, e.g. USA.

The U.S.A.F.L. is slowly but surely expanding on business smartz. It has more (Australian) football variants than Australia.
Most clubs now boast metro leagues and women's team.

- anywhere where there is a constant stream of aussies coming and going, e.g. Canada.

If you had truly had been watching for 22 years you'd know that football is booming in Canada
especially the women who became world champions.

- anywhere where there is a constant stream of aussies coming and going, e.g. Denmark.

The early rise of Denmark lead to football in Sweden and then throughout Scandinavia.
You don't hear too much from them because the focus has been on other up-coming European countries.
Scandinavian football blows me away but in reality why would you propose investing majorly in these cold and expensive countries ?

- anywhere where there is a constant stream of aussies coming and going, e.g. Croatia

Croatia is a powerhouse in football because they are fanatics and widely feared.
I didn't meet any Australians playing in the Croatian league which has expanded and now includes women.

- anywhere where there is a constant stream of aussies coming and going, e.g. France

The CNFA seems to make two steps forward one step back, but it is going forward.
The CNFA has some novel approaches especially when it comes to fund raising.
The CNFA is almost totally French except for a handful in the Paris teams and now they have a French team.
The French are very passionate. I know of many who came to Australia just to play the game.
They don't look on it as Australian Football but rather a game of football that Australians happen to be good at.
You didn't mention Germany and Germany would be more of a contender than France.
Though slow on the pick-up, Germany has accelerated past France with most clubs having metro leagues.

- anywhere which makes some sense in terms of existing facilities and ties, e.g. India.

Well there seems to be exponential growth in India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
I suspect some Indian person is thinking of how to make money out of this whilst the Pakistanis seem
only to want to beat India.

- anywhere which makes some sense in terms of existing facilities and ties, e.g. South Africa.

South Africa was expanding when there was investment involved, but there was little infrastructure there.
The RSA players were overwhelming black and poor with no access to cricket ovals.
The South Africa experiment proved what could be done but as an ongoing exercise it would have been impossible to create
a self-funded league.

I'm preaching to the converted because the AFL spends next to nothing spreading the game.

Except in a few isolated were it does invest plus some sporadic moderate amounts.

For someone who's been supposedly tracking the game the game for 22 years you don't seem to have any depth of knowledge
of Australian Football development or acknowledge what progress has been made.

In 22 years there has a sustained and widespread development in Australian Football - even a troll can clearly see that.
The number of countries, competitions, players, women's football, junior football, educational football and football variants
has all advanced some levels.
What is on many people's minds is this development fast enough to make the next quantum step ?

I've been tracking for around 22 years.
That's why I say with confidence, on the whole, our game is no further ahead than where it was about 12 years ago.
I stand by what I said: just standing still in this space requires a massive effort.
It makes sense to me that you limit your effort, in terms of resources and energy, to a limited number of countries.
- near neighbours (NZ, PNG, Nauru, maybe Timor Leste)
- anywhere where there is a constant stream of aussies coming and going, in particular, where sizeable numbers of local people are already involved, e.g. UK, Ireland, US, Canada, maybe Denmark, maybe Croatia, maybe France
- anywhere which makes some sense in terms of existing facilities and ties, e.g. India, but then again, South Africa fell into that category at one point, they have slipped irrevocably.
In one sense, I'm preaching to the converted because the AFL spends next to nothing spreading the game, they know it takes far, far more than we can ever afford, for meagre returns, if any.
The only option is a very narrow focus, and even then it may not be worth the trouble.
Thanks for your comments - Everybody has a different slant on this but I think that AFL House has a strictly financial approach to the topic.
I spent 3 years exploring a while back all the lost opportunities overseas in the past not the current ones and it is a very sad tale.
You mentioned India - My favourite topic - Covid has unfortunately has put a halt to the game up there.
Australia and India are in the process of being drawn together militarily wise and trade wise by mutual problems on the horizon.
Hopefully our game can leverage of that connection with the Cricket connection as well.

In 22 years there has a sustained and widespread development in Australian Football

Bit of an exaggeration.
There are stacks of examples of countries taking one step forward, and two backwards.
Expect the same for the remainder of the century.
Let me give you another indicator.
About 10 to 12 years ago, the World Footy News site used to run a ticker tape across the top of the page, showing scores from various leagues.
I'd say it's been a very long time since we've seen that running with the same spread of countries it once showed.
These days we hear nothing from South Africa, nothing from Norway, nothing from Finland, nothing from Iceland, and the list goes on.
Why don't you do your old trick of putting up web sites which haven't been updated in more than a decade?
That'll show 'em!

About 10 to 12 years ago, the World Footy News site used to run a ticker tape across the top of the page, showing scores from various leagues.

With the growth in Australian Football overseas that simply became impractical.

These days we hear nothing from South Africa, nothing from Norway, nothing from Finland, nothing from Iceland,

That simply means they haven't heard from them. Doesn't mean anything especially with Covid19.
I'm amazed by the extent of Australian Football being played considering the conditions.

Before Covid19 silence probably meant expansion. There is a point where leagues drop the apron strings so to speak.
They feel they do not need to share their experiences and become more inward looking.
Once clubs and teams become comfortable the balance shifts.
As someone who has attempted to garner more information out of clubs the reply seems that they don't have enough time.

Everybody has a different slant on this .

Very few people are across the overseas developments in Australian Football.
Some know the the "organic" side and some work with the AFL.
Most know nothing at all.

I think that AFL House has a strictly financial approach to the topic.

You think ! The AFL runs primarily on a cost/benefit scenario and even then the 'accounting' is a bit off.

I spent 3 years exploring a while back all the lost opportunities overseas in the past not the current ones and it is a very sad tale.

What countries did you visit ?

You mentioned India.

India was seemingly experiencing great organic growth mainly because it is a big country but also because of an 'X' factor.
India is a logical favourite for many to be a country to benefit from AFL investment.

When you consider this from Wiki " The West Australian Football League toured India in 1969, playing a series of exhibition matches between East Perth and Subiaco Football Clubs, which attracted large crowds and interest.", you may consider it a lost opportunity.
I prefer to focus on the future.

Last edited:
And that's EXACTLY what the AFL has done.
In fact many fans (those looking O/S) have widely criticised the AFL for not doing more.
Your reasoning seems very misplaced.

In fact a massive investment in N.Z. with massive numbers with the AFL looking at playing out of Auckland.

In fact massive progress in P.N.G. with football bouncing back due to the AFL utilising aid money.

Are you joking. Nauru is 100% Aussie Rules- it's easily the most passionate Aussie Rules place on Earth.

Population 1.3 million. Unfortunately tied to the $US and has no convenient connections.

How about Fiji. Fiji is going great guns now with development officers. Solomon Islands also but too small.

The BARFL has disappeared and now you have AFL England, Scotland and Wales.
The BARFL yo-yo-ed until they got rid of the Aussie influence and started 9-a-side competitions.
There are now some junior and school leagues. great effort.

AFL Ireland is a very strong performer based on Gaelic Football and without Aussies.
Unfortunately, the Irish men love their GAA but on the women's side Ireland could produce an AFLW Celtic side.

The U.S.A.F.L. is slowly but surely expanding on business smartz. It has more (Australian) football variants than Australia.

If you had truly had been watching for 22 years you'd know that football is booming in Canada
especially the women who became world champions.

The early rise of Denmark lead to football in Sweden and then throughout Scandinavia.
You don't hear too much from them because the focus has been on other up-coming European countries.
Scandinavian football blows me away but in reality why would you propose investing majorly in these cold and expensive countries ?

Croatia is a powerhouse in football because they are fanatics and widely feared.
I didn't meet any Australians playing in the Croatian league which has expanded and now includes women.

The CNFA seems to make two steps forward one step back, but it is going forward.
The CNFA has some novel approaches especially when it comes to fund raising.
The CNFA is almost totally French except for a handful in the Paris teams and now they have a French team.
The French are very passionate. I know of many who came to Australia just to play the game.
They don't look on it as Australian Football but rather a game of football that Australians happen to be good at.
You didn't mention Germany and Germany would be more of a contender than France.
Though slow on the pick-up, Germany has accelerated past France with most clubs having metro leagues.

I suspect some Indian person is thinking of how to make money out of this whilst the Pakistanis seem
only to want to beat India.

South Africa was expanding when there was investment involved, but there was little infrastructure there.
The RSA players were overwhelming black and poor with no access to cricket ovals.
The South Africa experiment proved what could be done but as an ongoing exercise it would have been impossible to create
a self-funded league.

Except in a few isolated were it does invest plus some sporadic moderate amounts.

For someone who's been supposedly tracking the game the game for 22 years you don't seem to have any depth of knowledge
of Australian Football development or acknowledge what progress has been made.

In 22 years there has a sustained and widespread development in Australian Football - even a troll can clearly see that.
The number of countries, competitions, players, women's football, junior football, educational football and football variants
has all advanced some levels.
What is on many people's minds is this development fast enough to make the next quantum step ?
Bit of an exaggeration.
There are stacks of examples of countries taking one step forward, and two backwards.
I'd say it's been a very long time since we've seen that running with the same spread of countries it once showed.
These days we hear nothing from South Africa, nothing from Norway, nothing from Finland, nothing from Iceland, and the list goes on.
Why don't you do your old trick of putting up web sites which haven't been updated in more than a decade?
That'll show 'em!
Actually

Actually what ? Are you disputing ? Care to answer instead of the cryptic questions.

A massive investment in N.Z. with massive numbers with the AFL looking at playing out of Auckland.

Massive progress in P.N.G. with football bouncing back due to the AFL utilising aid money.

Nauru is 100% Aussie Rules- it's easily the most passionate Aussie Rules place on Earth.

Fiji is going great guns now with development officers. Solomon Islands also but too small.

The BARFL has disappeared and now replaced by AFL England, Scotland and Wales.

Football is booming in Canada, especially the women who became world champions.

Virtually no Australians playing in the Croatian league which has expanded and now includes women.

Germany would be more of a contender than France.

There is Australian Football in RSA where there once was none.

The AFL doesn't normally invest in 'organic' growth, except in a few isolated cases were it does invest plus some sporadic moderate amounts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of an exaggeration.
That'll show 'em!
Yes I thought South Africa has folded its tent but the 2019 AFL Annual Report has the following comments under International Football.
AFL South Africa continued to run FootyWILD programs in townships across South Africa and saw significant growth (51 per cent increase) with more than 52,000 participants.
The previous Annual reports some had AFL SA mentions I noted but others did not for a period.
However Covid arrived last March in Australia and no 2020 report on the AFL Report Site and Covid may have killed the game off over there anyhow.

Yes I thought South Africa has folded its tent but the 2019 AFL Annual Report has the following comments under International Football.
AFL South Africa continued to run FootyWILD programs in townships across South Africa and saw significant growth (51 per cent increase) with more than 52,000 participants.
The previous Annual reports some had AFL SA mentions I noted but others did not for a period.
However Covid arrived last March in Australia and no 2020 report on the AFL Report Site and Covid may have killed the game off over there anyhow.

At one point, South Africa broke into the top 3 of an International Cup, which is huge. When a country can do that, you are talking about real progress. Could mix it with anyone.
Not anymore.
Three ICs in a row it has dropped, and dropped significantly.
It really doesn't look like it's possible they can ever return to where they were.
One step forward, two steps backwards.
In fact, when I next see another country mixiing it with one of the top 3, then I'll recognise some progress.
One of those three is only there because they are strong at another sport.
Blokes who play zero footy for three years, can run absolute rings around every other player outside of the top 3.

First time back here in a long while, so new accy, so I will be light. I wont butt in on the convo going on too much, but there is a new group here in the USA trying to make a difference to the pretty stagnant growth of the game here, despite what you hear elsewhere. Roll in the worst country for COVID spread probably and there was a need to try and do something to help.
Its called Footy 5000. Check it out www.footy5000.com

At one point, South Africa broke into the top 3 of an International Cup, which is huge. When a country can do that, you are talking about real progress. Could mix it with anyone.

Bit of an exaggeration don't you think.

When a country can do that, you are talking about real progress.

You might think so but not really - Ireland do it comfortably all the time.

It really doesn't look like it's possible they can ever return to where they were.

Unless some of the inputs that got them to 3rd ranking return. Improbable - not impossible.

In fact, when I next see another country mixing it with one of the top 3, then I'll recognise some progress.

So your sole criteria for progress is International Cup performances and presumably 3rd ranking.
I've seen the rise and rise of standard in the International Cup.
Every event the bar gets raised higher. Most teams improve but don't 'progress' because every other team has also.
My benchmark is Nauru, because Nauru cannot get any better or bigger. Nauru is 100% AFL
IMO there are ten top teams.
I follow Canada quite closely and every I.C. I think they're going to improve their position because of how better prepared and skilled that they are.
Nope. Most of the countries also improve.

Also the mature competitions in the four provinces still existed pre Covid19.

First time back here in a long while, so new accy, so I will be light. I wont butt in on the convo going on too much, but there is a new group here in the USA trying to make a difference to the pretty stagnant growth of the game here, despite what you hear elsewhere. Roll in the worst country for COVID spread probably and there was a need to try and do something to help.
Its called Footy 5000. Check it out www.footy5000.com
Read through the info on the website - Noted all the legal stuff - Not affilliated with the USAFL.
Have to ask will you get recognition from AFL House do you think - Will you get access to any stuff they produce such as coaching etc etc.
Perhaps at this stage it may not matter because of online availability.
Found the comments about the mens game stagnant and good potential for the womens game very interesting.
Good luck in your venture.

Read through the info on the website - Noted all the legal stuff - Not affilliated with the USAFL.
Have to ask will you get recognition from AFL House do you think - Will you get access to any stuff they produce such as coaching etc etc.
Perhaps at this stage it may not matter because of online availability.
Found the comments about the mens game stagnant and good potential for the womens game very interesting.
Good luck in your venture.
Yeah I believe the legal jargon is mainly for the USAFL's pleasure ...they have a history of not collaborating or even promoting in any simple way anything they do not have full control of...so that lets them off the hook. You only have to look at all the new footy podcasts here, they dont even mention them even though they are great at spreading the word of the game, they only promote their own stuff they think of.
I dont expect the group is looking for any AFL support, but I dont know honestly. It is a pretty simple project I think, start grass roots footy, no matter what it is. The USAFL will not even mention you by name until you are a full blown club with logos, guernseys designs and all the infrastructure. So there is no support ..not even a mention until you do all that sh*t. Pretty asinine way to grow a sport that is not much bigger than it was (apart from women) in the last 10 years dont you think.?

The USAFL will not even mention you by name until you are a full blown club with logos, guernseys designs and all the infrastructure. So there is no support

I guess, if your club gets that far they don't need much more.

Pretty asinine way to grow a sport that is not much bigger than it was (apart from women) in the last 10 years don' you think.?

IMO the USAFL are trying to be professional.
I have some minor criticisms but why voice them ?
The USAFL didn't associate with a previous somewhat high flying attempt and that eventually failed.
Looking at the people involved they seems well-grounded. Good luck to them
I hope hard-working and well-intentioned people aren't criticised for their actions.

I guess, if your club gets that far they don't need much more.

IMO the USAFL are trying to be professional.
I have some minor criticisms but why voice them ?
The USAFL didn't associate with a previous somewhat high flying attempt and that eventually failed.
Looking at the people involved they seems well-grounded. Good luck to them
I hope hard-working and well-intentioned people aren't criticised for their actions.

Dont need much more? ..haha...and if it fails...?.. add one more significant lost opportunity...lol.
The USAFL is not much bigger if at all.. than a mid size Vic country footy league, spread over 5000kms..in a lot of ways its not even close..
The high flying attempt I think you are referring too was in direct conflict to their own amateur status..not surprising there was no association...
No question at all that there is hard working, well-intentioned people mate...none at all..its the model..the model for significant growth is 20 years old and has proven in the last 4 years, prior to COVID, to be outdated and to not work any more, for the betterment of the games growth...

The high flying attempt I think you are referring too was in direct conflict to their own amateur status..not surprising there was no association...

Yes.

its the model..the model for significant growth is 20 years old and has proven in the last 4 years, prior to COVID, to be outdated and to not work any more, for the betterment of the games growth...

The USA is responsible for some good developments.
From travelling traditional competition to 9-a-side to metro leagues. Variants like flag, mixed and Ausball.
Their "fitness through fun" marketing is great.
What would have been the situation without these approaches.
Hasn't one club had an oval included in local planning - that's none too shabby.
I do agree with you that the USAFL has failed to make next step. Why is that ?
IMO there are quite a few circumstantial reasons. You only have to look across the northern border.
Differences in major sports, educational differences, healthcare differences and simply differing attitudes.
Also the size and spread of the USA make it a difficult nut to crack.
Go back to the Foster's Cup - Canada drew great attendances compared to the so-so of the USA.
Again, there are reasons for that and that simply makes the task harder.
There are some things that should make it easier like "combines" and AFL games in L.A. but they are small in impact.

What is the next step ? For some it's women's football and junior football but for the USA I'd say it's educational football.
Canada has done well to get significant participation in schools. The AFL has recognised this and aided the CAFL modestly.
What is the most significant barrier to introducing football in USA schools - attitudes, fields, insurance or interest ?
I've read what you're trying to do - sincere good luck - but it does sound a little scattergun a.t.m. That will probably change down the track.
I don't think I read anything that was drastically different to what the USAFL is trying to do.
People have different ideas. Most plead investment from the AFL is what is needed.

I would like the USAFL to try something. The USAFL have national championships which are a big thing economically.
I would like the USAFL to have a national league - not like the expensive AFL but more like the NFL conference system
in that the regional premiers play off to become national premier. That would involve a minimum of extra travelling.

Yeah I believe the legal jargon is mainly for the USAFL's pleasure ...they have a history of not collaborating or even promoting in any simple way anything they do not have full control of...so that lets them off the hook. You only have to look at all the new footy podcasts here, they dont even mention them even though they are great at spreading the word of the game, they only promote their own stuff they think of.
I dont expect the group is looking for any AFL support, but I dont know honestly. It is a pretty simple project I think, start grass roots footy, no matter what it is. The USAFL will not even mention you by name until you are a full blown club with logos, guernseys designs and all the infrastructure. So there is no support ..not even a mention until you do all that sh*t. Pretty asinine way to grow a sport that is not much bigger than it was (apart from women) in the last 10 years dont you think.?
Your comments about Womens growth attracted my attention.
Here is a statement from AFL QLD for 2018/19 who operate in a Rugby Code Heartland, where every new recruit is a big win as in the USA. It says that the growth up there is driven mainly by Schools and the Womens/Girls big increase in participation. Up there Womens Participation is currently on 42/45 % of total and is the highest rate State by State.
I think you will get the story - Grow the Women/Girls as much as you can.
Quote---
AFL Queensland is the state body that is responsible for the growth and development of Australian Football throughout the state. Participation in Queensland has grown by 47.5% over the past five (5) year period to 265,760, driven mainly by increases in school introductory programs and the exponential growth in female participation across all key segments.
End Quote---

Remove this Banner Ad

Back