Review Round 2, 2021 - Geelong vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed, but you can only control your own kicking, not the opposition‘s. The significance of the decision is amplified by it being in last minute. Games are always decided by many moments, not one. Can’t really see how it’s as simple as you claim, but if you want it that way, it’s fine by me. Give me complexity any day. We didn’t win. Did we deserve to? Hard to say, I guess we got a number of bad calls or non calls that cost goals, but I’d prefer to not make excuses and just get better.
I sort of agree with you but when it's a clear decision 5 metres out that would make the difference then that's the game isn't it.

I don't think anyone expected that not to be paid. Even Geelong supporters. Our players in the vicinity were incredulous.

It's not just part of the game ,it's a hideous error that would be paid 99/100

If we're good enough, we'll make it to Sept & succeed. That's all there is to it at the end of the day in my opinion.

It’s a very even competition and wins/losses like this against a top side can go a long way to defining a season imo.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I appreciate him not commenting on the umpiring.

Yep.

As much as we would like Fages to unload, to do so would not only have the AFL throw the book at him but most likely result in the precious umpires deciding to give us a bit more stick just to "show him"

Even though he said he didn't comment on umpiring, I thought the tone he used barely disguised his disgust

AS HN said the "no point" comment was probably better than a full broadside.

Well played Fages

Agreed, but you can only control your own kicking, not the opposition‘s. The significance of the decision is amplified by it being in last minute. Games are always decided by many moments, not one. Can’t really see how it’s as simple as you claim, but if you want it that way, it’s fine by me. Give me complexity any day. We didn’t win. Did we deserve to? Hard to say, I guess we got a number of bad calls or non calls that cost goals, but I’d prefer to not make excuses and just get better.
It's (almost) as simple as I claim because if it had been paid, it would've been a kick for goal from five metres out as the siren went. Per the bolded, the limited amount of time left means what plays out after that point is limited - unlike changing behinds to goals and the like.

I will correct myself and say it wouldn't be at least a draw because I didn't factor in the rushed behind coming off the board, leaving a one point loss as an option in the case of a shank.

It can be both true that we should've kicked better and the non- call almost definitely cost us the game.

Yep.

As much as we would like Fages to unload, to do so would not only have the AFL throw the book at him but most likely result in the precious umpires deciding to give us a bit more stick just to "show him"

Even though he said he didn't comment on umpiring, I thought the tone he used barely disguised his disgust/

Well played Fages
Fages seemed a bit crestfallen tbh.

Understandably.

Oscar mightn't be all that flash if he got to the stage where he couldn't move . Oscar's reaction when he first went off seemed to indicate that it wasn't just a normal pain from an ankle roll.

It's (almost) as simple as I claim because if it had been paid, it would've been a kick for goal from five metres out as the siren went.

I will correct myself and say it wouldn't be at least a draw because I didn't factor in the rushed behind coming off the board, leaving a one point loss as an option in the case of a shank.
If Bails had've missed that we could have really gone off our nuts

It's (almost) as simple as I claim because if it had been paid, it would've been a kick for goal from five metres out as the siren went.

He was one meter out... c mon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Injuries might be starting to mount, that’s concerning, though Charlie is made of rubber so he’ll be right next week.

Umpire trying to be buddies instead of concentrating on the game.

Even the Vic-centric commentators were hollering for another 50.

Yet another example of an umpire lacking the cahoonies to enforce the rules against one of the home town pin-up boys

It's hard for me to make a call as to is the bigger protected species between Hawkins and Reiwoldt.

Just about a dead heat

Shame to lose the way we did. But much better performance. Really missing dizzy, him not being there might be throwing Andrews off a bit. Could explain his drop in form. The under 10 gamers all tried their very best and that's all we can ask at this stage in their development.

You blokes got the 'geelong butt*' tonight, which is defined as the umpires deciding on the outcome to get a geelong W...happens a lot, bad luck.

A little bit of urgency from Harris wouldn't hurt. No one can be that slow.

I don't understand this statement

I thought he was solid. Spoiled a lot of entries by Geelong to our advantage and took a few of his trademark intercept marks to boot.

There's not much a defender can do if the ball is delivered on a silver platter to the likes of Hawklns, especially if it's the result of a turnover or lack of pressure from the onballers.

Apart from that, when Gardiner comes back, I am confident our defensive structures will function a lot better overall

Last edited:
Back