Preview Changes Dogs V Lions at Mars 10.4.21 - Rd 4, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol Dale has proven me wrong has he?

3 ok games and thatโ€™s the proof he is going to make it as a half back???

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚.
This joint never changes.
Why even consider the future? Three wins, three good games from half back, those three wins giving us a top 4 buffer even as we lose games in the rest of the season. Dale could not play another minute in the entire season, and the three games he's already played already "made it" in helping us have wins already to the flag.

Donโ€™t mind the idea of trying Schache at CHB for his last year on the list. What is there to lose?

Look how well it turned out for Liam Jones who had very similar physical attributes to schache.

Why even consider the future? Three wins, three good games from half back, those three wins giving us a top 4 buffer even as we lose games in the rest of the season. Dale could not play another minute in the entire season, and the three games he's already played already "made it" in helping us have wins already to the flag.

This makes no sense so ok

This makes no sense so ok
Dale's played three good games. If we win the flag this year, these three wins that he's had a part.

You're acting as there's some mythical future determination date about whether or not Dale will "make it" as a half back flanker, and if he eventually doesn't play half-back for seasons on end, it all doesn't matter. When in fact, three wins with him in the role has significantly increased our premiership chances. It's already happened.

McNeil doesnโ€™t look up to it just yet.

Had 9 touches in each game

Each time the least nbr of touches by a bulldog

rd 1 went at 30% or so

if he gets another game Iโ€™d walk out on the club if I was west or cavarra who donโ€™t get the same opportunities but have put more runs in the board and earnt chances

Who does the rain help more? Iโ€™m thinking Brisbane, as it hurts our handball happy style. Brisbane also have a LOT more dangerous small forwards than we do.

Wed have to change our game style but Iโ€™d prefer Libba, Dunks, Macrae, Bont in the wet over a sore Neale, Robinson and Lyons. Zorko and McLuggage Iโ€™m not so sure about in the wet. Suddenly Joe and Hipwood become not so dangerous also.

Dale's played three good games. If we win the flag this year, these three wins that he's had a part.

You're acting as there's some mythical future determination date about whether or not Dale will "make it" as a half back flanker, and if he eventually doesn't play half-back for seasons on end, it all doesn't matter. When in fact, three wins with him in the role has significantly increased our premiership chances. It's already happened.

Lol ok

Glad someone has played three ok games at the start of a season and if we donโ€™t win another game it means nothing.

Should we erect a statue to Dale for 3 ok games now or wait until he retires?

And this isnโ€™t a Dale thing. I said the whole backline worries me not just him and imo they were all poor other than Williams against the Eagles so thatโ€™s actually two ok games Dale has played and one against Norf that you or me could have probably gone ok against.

IF we can get a backline that can hold its own there is no reason we canโ€™t go very close this year but as previously stated I believe we are one KPD short and need our best 6 available

Last edited:
OUT: Gardner and Scott
IN: Cavarra and Young

FB: Wood, Young, Williams
HB: Dale, Keath, Daniel
C: Smith, Macrae, Treloar
HF: Hunter, Naughton, Dunkley
FF: English, Bruce, VDM
R: Martin, Bont, Libba
Int: McNeil, Duryea, JJ, Cavarra
23rd man: Lipinski

If it's wet I would possibly go in with Wallis over Young. We'd then back Wood against Hipwood and worst case fling Naughton back. That said, if it's wet it will be interesting to see if we go in with Bruce/Naughton/Martin/English

We are going to beat the lions there midfield is not going with ours. Neale playing injured, Jarrod Berry even if he plays will underdone, Lyon and Zorko and others are ok but you stack them up against Bont, Macrae, Libba, Treloar, Dunkley and Bailey Smith and your got a Ferrari V a Toyota.

This will be a great game.

Despite you shafting WC recently, which I didn't care for, I enjoy watching the Bulldogs. They play great football. Bontempelli is a Rolls-Royce. Wonderful player.

On paper, how do you think this side compares to the team that won a flag in 2016? Deeper midfield? Better tall talent?

I don't mean to be provocative but I reckon there's still a bit of a question mark about the defensive cover particularly if other sides can move it quickly. Daniher and Hipwood will be an interesting litmus test.

We are going to beat the lions there midfield is not going with ours. Neale playing injured, Jarrod Berry even if he plays will underdone, Lyon and Zorko and others are ok but you stack them up against Bont, Macrae, Libba, Treloar, Dunkley and Bailey Smith and your got a Ferrari V a Toyota.
It's dangerous to be overconfident. The weekend showed us that more than ever if a team is a bit off mentally, the opposition will pounce.

It may be this week, it may be later but there will be a week where the opposition's intensity will be greater than ours on the day and we'll get rolled.

Then the sky will be falling down in here, melts galore and calls to sack Bevo left, right and centre.

Nothing surer.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Donโ€™t mind the idea of trying Schache at CHB for his last year on the list. What is there to lose?

Look how well it turned out for Liam Jones who had very similar physical attributes to schache.
There is a surplus of forwards and he is not getting a game as a forward. And with Gardener going down for an extended period of time. It's a nothing to lose experiment. If it doesn't work nothing really lost, may have another KPD option if it does.

Despite you shafting WC recently, which I didn't care for, I enjoy watching the Bulldogs. They play great football. Bontempelli is a Rolls-Royce. Wonderful player.

On paper, how do you think this side compares to the team that won a flag in 2016? Deeper midfield? Better tall talent?

I don't mean to be provocative but I reckon there's still a bit of a question mark about the defensive cover particularly if other sides can move it quickly. Daniher and Hipwood will be an interesting litmus test.
It isn't controversial it's a pretty well accepted fact amongst Dogs supporters, that we are one quality KPD from having a solid backline. There is hopes that L Young might come on and fill that breach but that is mostly just hope at this point. Cordy is a competitor but undersized to be the KPD that can make the difference.
We will have to rely on pressure on the ball carrier to limit the exposure to an under siege defence.

I am not convinced about Shack as a defender but there is no harm in trialling him in this role in the vfl.

He is elite by doggies standard in ball use and decision making, has a big tank. His lacks core body strength like Young and Gardner and is not as quick as Gardner. I think it is worth a role of the dice. It appears he is ticking the boxes this year with his efforts.

Hopefully Neale doesnโ€™t get up with his back. If he does heโ€™s shown heโ€™s shithouse and canโ€™t handle a tag, would be getting Macrae to play an accountable role on him like he did with Tim Kelly on 2019. They arenโ€™t winning unless he plays well.

rd 1 went at 30% or so

if he gets another game Iโ€™d walk out on the club if I was west or cavarra who donโ€™t get the same opportunities but have put more runs in the board and earnt chances
After a 21 goal win, the only changes likely are those enforced by injury.

There is a surplus of forwards and he is not getting a game as a forward. And with Gardener going down for an extended period of time. It's a nothing to lose experiment. If it doesn't work nothing really lost, may have another KPD option if it does.
Iโ€™m not against trying Schache down back but Iโ€™m sure the coaches would have thought about it by now. Iโ€™d be pretty confident heโ€™s already had a few match sims/training down there over his time with us. Granted is not the same as permanently training as a KPD. Much like Bruce suggestions in the off season, people canโ€™t seriously think the coaches never at least thought about it.

I feel like this team should be a better side because the talent seems more spread across the park. The midfield depth is obvious along with KFPs, but we didn't beat enough teams at the pointy end of the ladder last year to realise that. In 2016 when Redpath went down, we didn't have a recognised KFP, so we played small. But we also had Dickson and haven't really replaced him. We also had Picken, Morris, and Smith who were very hard at it warrior types. Only Libba seems to fit that category now.

Nevertheless, the hunger appears there. We could have easily taken the foot off the gas against norf.

The game against Brisbane feels a bit like R3 2016 against Hawthorn where we really wanted to play the best side to stamp ourselves as a genuine contender and see exactly where we were at.

Could lose the game with a poor performance. If there's any experimentation to be done, I'd hope it was done in training and through the 2nds rather than playing for points against a top 4 side over the last 2 years. Not sure there's any evidence that Schache has played or trained in a defensive role.

Seems like there will be a hard edge to selection this year, as there should be when we're ready to genuinely contend. And we are ready to genuinely contend.

On paper; much more talent with this squad. But 2016 had toughness and willingness in Morris, M Boyd, Picken, Dahlhaus(better than his is now), Clay Smith, Shane Biggs even Cordy was very tough. Add the Libba Bont and McCrae who are and were tough at the contest and you had one very tough team.
This is where is doubt Lipinski in finals?? But this squad definitely has the potential talent to go all the way.

rd 1 went at 30% or so

If you were Cav you would be walking slowly

McNeils point of difference is his pace and itโ€™s become crucial with the new rules

Thatโ€™s not to say West or Cav donโ€™t deserve a go but talking of walking out is crazy talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back