Preview Rnd 4 - Carlton v Gold Coast, Saturday 10th Apr Metricon Stadium 7:25pm - Team post #931

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stocker is just as good a tackler as Fogarty. Can’t wait to see him get a go. Torn between wanting him in this week and holding him back for another 1-2 and truly unleashing him when he bashes down the door. Exciting to hear he’s going well in the 2s after plenty of knockers last season.
I haven't seen much of his VFL highlights, but I remember the last time I saw him play seniors, he was slowish.
The conundrum is, the 2's are misleading, as the intensity between that and the 1st is a canyon.

Big difference between Eddie, who has been almost perenially healthy and McGovern who's fitness levels have been questionable throughout his career.

Further, a huge difference in regards to structural importance. If Eddie went down you can adjust so much more easily than a key position player.

Playing McGovern you increase your risk of having multiple players injured which means not even a sub will save you.

I'd rather reward Oscar. Safer albeit less upside.
Mcgovern from all reports was absolutely flying in the vfl game. Cutting a fine figure and looked extremely fit. Maybe his fittest ever.

Mcgovern from all reports was absolutely flying in the vfl game. Cutting a fine figure and looked extremely fit. Maybe his fittest ever.
You can watch the footage and see that's not the case. Played 3 quarters and was barely getting out of first gear.

If we pick him it's because we're struggling for ideas or dealing with injuries.

Just putting it out there...

I saw a few tackles that Fogarty made - they were aggressive, hard and sticky - and he is a relatively small guy.
Has he learnt this from Geelong or at CFC

Because, a lot of our guys need to watch and learn how to tackle from Fogarty!

You don’t have to be a big bodied player to tackle correctly. You need to have the right technic and desire to make them stick.

8 v 6 day break indicates we probably need to bring in a few fresh faces. Stocker and McGovern would be perfect for Casboult and Dow.

I can't see casboult getting dropped when he's important to our structure and second ruck.

Just cause gc doesn't have a ruck doesn't mean we don't need a second ruck...why throw away that advantage?

Cant remember the last time cas has been dropped on form.

Without cas, Harry would have to be the support ruck, cant see gov or Jsos doing it...don't think Harry has the fitness really.

Im rapt that has crept into his game the last couple of years.

That opposition back 6 must sh1te bricks when the balls comes in high and they're caught under it. it would absolutely fk with your confidence
He goes in with knees at a precise 90deg.
That angelic face is anything but

I cant answer your question without the vision to refer to - If you have a time reference I will check it out and get back to you - what quarter was it in?
If you saying Cripps grabbed one arm forcing an incorrect disposal leading to a free and his kciking a goal is a tackle- I would say no it wasn't a tackle it was a succesful holding the ball/illegal disposal outcome of a pin. Anyway let me know when if you can remeber
10.20 mark of the 3rd. Crippa’s second goal. Fairly sure it will register as a tackle. You can scream at the wind all you like longing for smashing of yesteryear but, he tackled, got a free, kicked a goal and didn’t hurt his shoulder. All wins.

Was interesting the VFL report on Cunningham stated how he had changed his technique and tackled with intent .. maybe this coach and L power will save us
Sounds like we may be making some inroads with our development on players through Power and O’Keefe, just read Powers comments on Cunners progression so far this year really encouraging to hear...

Will win by 10 goals .. this is a non event -- looking forward to he next two week to see where we are at

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel like we’ll find out if we’re flat track bully’s after this one. Shaping up to be an interesting season for us. I don’t like the fact that we’re super reliant on our midfield winning the contest to score wins so I hope the suns bring the heat in this game and we win a little differently to the last game.

Ins Setterfield
Outs Dow

I think we need a little more grunt in the midfield for this one. Setters straight to David Swallow.

Could go either way but I’ll say Saad will get 26 possessions and a goal.
Weitering will come back to AA form.
Doch or Walsh for BOG
Blues by 26

Murph's not going to improve his defensive pressure and tackling and that's not through a lack of effort or disrespect to him. He put his body on the line for so long that it's busted and there's no amount of work that will unbust his body.

Get him to the 300, champion his career as he deserves it and let him ride off into the sunset or hang around the club in an off-field role.

Champion.
No he doesn't deserve to get to 300 games if they are going to be gifted to him. It says a lot about our club if we do. A club that has settled on mediocrity because it puts the interests of its players ahead of on field success. Teague burnt us last year by playing Murph as an on baller. Teague needs to grow some balls and hold some honest discussions with some of our senior players.

I reckon at least 3 times since joining Carlton has McGoverns fitness been described as his fittest ever.

Must be one fit bloke by now.

Dow's played all 3 games this year in a prominent midfield position and has had virtually no influence in any of them.

You can't just keep playing someone to 'build their confidence' when they aren't contributing. Dow has had plenty of chances in his career, he just hasn't taken them which has led to him getting dropped. 3 games is a decent block of games and he hasn't delivered at all. He only has himself to blame.

You're going way too easy on him. He's a 4th year, former pick 3 midfielder. He should be delivering better performances than he is by now.
I’d pick O’Brien (at this stage) every day of the week over Dow. How many chances has Dow had even when he plays ordinary?
I think the draft number is still playing way too high on some people’s minds.

Marchbank might work as defensive wing.

One of the better runners at the club and can use his intercept marking as a spare in defence. A bit iffy with ball in hand though.
You just summed up why we shouldn't play Marchbank on the wing. Play him to his strengths, his intercept marking and athleticism. Can play on tall and medium sized forwards and should be encouraged to push up the ground when we rebound.

FWIW - majority of FOX “experts” are tipping a GCS win
But the bookies aren't, like last week with Freo. There's not much in it, a good deal less than last week, but I'm not sure it's 'adjusted' enough yet to factor in them missing their best midfielder, their pretty handy ruckman and both of his understudies and their CHF (relief ruck). It's not the biggest list but it feels like a pretty substantial hit to the core of their team.

That being said, I'm not thinking 'easy win' or anything like that.

Had to look up the Fox tips out of interest too:
Carlton (5): David King, Max Laughton, David Zita, Matt Balmer, Kath Loughnan
GCS (9): Nick Dal Santo, Brad Johnson, Tom Morris, Sarah Olle, Drew Jones, Jordan Lewis, Ben Dixon, Ben Waterworth, Leigh Montagna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back