Review Round 7, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Port Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Port Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeez was Healy and derm wanking off to port or what!?? Then lynch gives us a “yeah they aren’t there yet”
Lynch has always gone out of his way to be pro-the-other-guys so he’s not appearing to be biased to Brisbane. It’s always been super frustrating to listen to him call our games.

Lynch has always gone out of his way to be pro-the-other-guys so he’s not appearing to be biased to Brisbane. It’s always been super frustrating to listen to him call our games.

It's kinda funny how he he'll give great insight on our team, be it in defense, forward or midfield, and then emphatically declare how the opposition needs to shut us down. He tries to double down a bit, but I think we can all tell he loves the Lions.

Have to be happy with that win, they were never in the game.

The forward line is starting to work together nicely. Daniher continues to prove to be a great pickup, his marking presences is huge for our style of play, and you have to love those long bombs.
Charlie is finding form on the back of Daniher pushing further up the ground more often. He’s so dangerous in that small Full Forward role, would like his form to translate back to the role he played against Richmond in the finals. Having the option to play him one out is absolutely great, but that doesn’t alway hold up against the better teams.

McCluggage and Lyons were awesome. Zorko has pulled his head in and getting most of those bad habits out of his game lately, really solid all round contribution from him.

I’m really enjoying seeing a physically mature side out there most weeks. It’s something that Geelong, Richmond, Sydney have been able to do so well for so long. Even our lesser experienced guys have decent size, Dev has been great to watch, and hope he gets an extended run, Prior has showed signs, Berry Jr is another who just plays his role when needed.

The team as a whole is maturing, the previous 2 years I would have had doubts we could have won without the likes of Neale, Berry, Dizzy and Rayner. Really impressive win

How can fans go from thinking they will casually dispose of another top 4 team on their home ground in the lead up to a game, to wanting to sack the coach?
His presser was a slog to watch. The contest. The contest. The contest.

Say ‘contest’ one more time, Ken.

If not to show up and play at ‘the contest’ I’m not sure what their game plan actually was last night. It’s like they were going to mimic that game where they put 110% of their focus into pestering Lachie Neale* and hope we come unraveled, but then realised that Lachie wasn’t playing. No plan B.

* LOL I just remembered how smug he was at declaring that on national TV before the first bounce too. At their home ground. That was a great game.

Last edited:
Would love some impressions of Madden from those at the game? He didn't look great on the telly. To be fair, hard when you can't see a defenders work rate/pressure/second efforts etc etc

Just my two cents on the newbies also, but Dev will be a great player for this club. Look out. Prior could be something too. Great win.

Watched on TV.

Looked a long way off it in most areas TBH.

Last edited:
Must have played well as I haven't seen a single post complaining about umpires yet

I watched the GWS v Adelaide game earlier and still had plenty of complaints about the umpiring in that game despite the score line. Our's didn't have many real howlers, so fair credit to the umpires.

It's kinda funny how he he'll give great insight on our team, be it in defense, forward or midfield, and then emphatically declare how the opposition needs to shut us down. He tries to double down a bit, but I think we can all tell he loves the Lions.

He is a genuine Lions fanatic, love him.

I'm surprised at the lack of credit Oscar got.

Even thought Lycett technically got a higher HO total, Oscar had almost double the number of hitouts to advantage (where we got clear possession as a result) and a number of other clear wins where he thumped it forward to get the contested ball further in our territory. This really ensured we weren't on the back foot coming out of the contest over and over again, and he definitely showed his improvement as a ruckman and looked like a real #1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still riding that high from Charlie's goal in the third quarter that got the crowd on their feet. Happened right in front of us, it looked like Charlie was finally enjoying the game again
Yes, it was from the same pocket and reminds me of this one, I was right behind it... but have since moved to more salubrious surroundings on the Southern wing >
UnlawfulHighAsiantrumpetfish-max-1mb.gif

I was up on my feet roaring for last night and back then.

It looks to me that in the last few games Robbo has been dropping back into defence to provide additional defensive cover and has been putting himself in front of the big forwards to help out our key backs. Unbelievably courageous and selfless effort, a great team player!

It looks to me that in the last few games Robbo has been dropping back into defence to provide additional defensive cover and has been putting himself in front of the big forwards to help out our key backs. Unbelievably courageous and selfless effort, a great team player!
Also is it just my perception or has Mitch improved his kicking this year? Seems to be only doing the hack kicks out of congestion as a last option and is now taking that split second longer to size up his options and picking out some great targets by hand and foot.

Also is it just my perception or has Mitch improved his kicking this year? Seems to be only doing the hack kicks out of congestion as a last option and is now taking that split second longer to size up his options and picking out some great targets by hand and foot.
No, it’s definitely a thing.

IMO it's perception plus a slight role change.

Mitch has always had a reasonable kick when he's got time to use it. By dropping behind the ball when it's not in immediate contest he's now getting it more space so able to size up his options. Last year especially, with the shorter quarters it felt like teams were a lot quicker on to shutting down wings receiving the ball so Mitch's hack kicks were a priority. You still see them whenever he gets the ball in congestion.

Mitch' kicking was pretty good in 2019 when he took time to pick a target before ticking. It's when he stops thinking and just blasts it that his kicking looks supremely average. He definitely seems to be back to that level and is actively looking for targets again.

My take is that Ports new game style played into our hands and also that the last few weeks the ‘overall’ game style has returned to normal. Port has changed their game style to attacking/scoring from the back half. Our team like to lock that ball in our forward half therefore not allowing the ball to come out so easily. We are also a contested team and that has returned across the competition and therefore a return to normal services for the Lions. As good as Harris was last night, Dixon has had a down year so far. When the game was on the line at the start our transition from the back-half to the front was great and this was mainly due to Hippy and Joe. It was great to see. As the game continued we saw McCluggage and Lyons take over. McCluggage’s transition to playing more inside has been a bit of a relevation and will go along way to taking us to the finals. Port were off but there should be more credit to how we didn’t allow them to play their way. Go Lions!

McCluggage was fantastic, but probably the stat that impressed me the most is his game high 34 pressure acts.

His offensive work was obviously incredible, but to not only dominate in attacking football, but to be the best pressure player on the ground was something to behold.

Comparatively, Ollie Wines had 37 touches and just 17 pressure acts.

It was so refreshing I managed to write some notes during the last 10 mins.

McCluggage Lyons Andrews BOG. especially the two mids who held up for Neale being out.
Ah Chee looked so comfortable up forward, and Adams really solidifying his spot.

Don't really know who played not well, McStay went a bit quiet, but by and by it was a really great team-effort.

Nice signs of Madden on debut, lovely speed. Prior also solid again, Dev too.

Robinson back to his best too.

Really liking the synergy (god I hate that word) between our forwards we're getting. leading up taking out their defenders, freeing up space and also taking the marks nicely

Some pretty bad misses, I wish we really buried them as we should have, but we're really building into the season nicely

I think it also has to be said Port were quite putrid, so we can't read into it that we're on top of the teams.
Really nice to see a few of the young guys developing and contributing.
Very good win, maybe we just have the 'wood' over Port, especially at the GABBA, so maybe they were really bad, but I prefer to believe that we were really good. Top 4 not out of reach as overall we have a reasonably good draw, even allowing for 2 games against Richmond.

Just on the younger players, the context is that they've only played a few games at most and you can't expect the world. Madden I didn't notice much .Perhaps that is good because he clearly beat his opponent. Dev is going to be a good player but he tends to panic a bit under pressure when that extra moment would give him the time to execute in the way he can. He needs to bulk up a bit which will come. Prior is surprisingly composed under pressure and a lot tougher than I expected him to be . Seems to be getting better quickly.

I'm not sold on Daniher's ruckwork but he uses his body intelligently and sometimes comes up with the ball. His second efforts are great. Oscar is really benefiting from his presence and his ruckwork is improving a la Keating style plus he's a threat down forward again.

Unlike early in the season our mids are now starting to put in in the back half. Gives us a greater capacity to shut it down and more options getting it out.

Back