Player Watch Ash Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

Wisbey's take on it and what he thinks too high an expectation of where he is at re being a kpf.

Date Posted:
12:33 06/06/21 Sun
Author: Colin Wisbey
Author Host/IP: NoHost / 180.216.215.241
Subject: For Ash's sake, I wish people would stop over-selling him
In reply to: Muddy 's message, "Hine’s appraisal of our new Mid-season recruits is exciting." on 11:29 06/06/21 Sun

Ash does have some talent, his best marks are spectacular (especially crash-the-pack) huge leaps, and he's dual-sided (albeit mixed-bag outcomes).

That said, he's a long way from a finished item. In particular, his on-field ethic and (non-marking) intensity needs to improve by an order of magnitude.

I would describe him as some chance of making AFL but far from definite, and certainly not a messiah.

Collingwood is desperate for a go-to marking KF but IMHO we (including Derek) should not let that tempt us to over-sell / over-hype Johnson. Ash has enough pressure on him already. As much as possible, let him quietly find his feet in the "background".

He's come a long way in a couple of years but he's still finding his game. I do feel he has scope for improvement, possibly significant improvement. However his game at this stage is too one-dimensional IMHO.

And, for all the hype about his athleticism, yes, he has a very big leap and that is very eye-catching. However, too many of his eye-catching moments, although spectacular, can be categorised as "unrealistic attempts" rather than actual big *grabs* (marks).

Perspective. Last year, he played 4 SANFL League (aka Seniors) games then 3 Reserves games then back to League for another 2 games.

His 2021 for has been promising but not consistent, let alone "breaking the (AFL appeal) door down".

I struggle to imagine him as a KF at AFL level. (Certainly he won't be up against many 188cm opponents at AFL). I hope he proves me wrong but I strongly see him as a "3rd tall", rather than KP.

That said, at the very least, he improves our list because our list is desperate for a good height forward who can take a big grab.

[Important consideration re form: He's been playing as KF for a very ordinary team that struggles to get decent ball into its F50 and tends to get overrun in H2/Q4. Being FF for Sturt is not exactly an easy gig).

Wisbey's take on it and what he thinks too high an expectation of where he is at re being a kpf.

No One from the Mid-Season is Seen as someone who going to be an All-Austrian Type. Be Happy Coming Good to Very Good AFL Player.

Like Hearing he still has a Big Upside but though has a Bust Factor to him

No One from the Mid-Season is Seen as someone who going to be an All-Austrian Type. Be Happy Coming Good to Very Good AFL Player.

Like Hearing he still has a Big Upside but though has a Bust Factor to him

Yup we need natural fwd talent and xfactor in front of the ball, but his comments are around the expectations that he will fill a KP post. See's him as a 3rd tall fwd type.

Yup we need natural fwd talent and xfactor in front of the ball, but his comments are around the expectations that he will fill a KP post. See's him as a 3rd tall fwd type.

Think most people see him as a 3rd Tall.

He won't be a Main Target but someone who could be be 2nd or 3rd Tall that can come in and take Pack Marks.

Agree still a Big Need we need on the Team/List is Good Forwards

Madge has been training with the defenders, I think we really need to give Madge half a season in the role to see if he clicks before we think about moving him from the forward line.

I think I just vomited into my mouth (more than) a little... :sick:

Yeah. Its why he hadn't played in the sanfl last few weeks.
Has an ankle injury. Minor I think. But you'd think by now its healed up

I thought he was told by a Club not to play 2 weeks ago in the SANFL?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought he was told by a Club not to play 2 weeks ago in the SANFL?
Thats just what someone said.
And given he didn't know the club was selecting him until moments before his name read out, I doubt they would have said not to play

He missed some Goals he should of Kicked and had an Open Goal and WHE Ran Him Down
Looked dangerous and scored two goals. Don’t think getting run down was his fault when his teammate ran in his way. He looks like a decent player who won’t be a star to me.

Madge has been training with the defenders, I think we really need to give Madge half a season in the role to see if he clicks before we think about moving him from the forward line.
If he doesn't make it as a forward, we can always try him as a big bodied midfielder, before reverting back to the wing.

A massive stretch i know.
Ablett senior was only 185cm tall.
Was about 23 into his 2nd year at Geelong after being at Hawthorn at 20 and then back to Drouin for a year. Just reading his Wikipedia footy facts is incredible.
Any footy journey can take off at any time.
Look at Swanny
If be thinking more like Tony Lockett.

But seriously, he can kick 2 goals a game in SA footy league, what's all this hype about a 23 year old being the saviour?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back