Moved Thread Time to stamp out the use of 'interstate sides'

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually I don't know why it's an issue. Usually when referring to 'Interstate sides' it's often in the context of sides having or not having to travel.

Equally, when talking about players it may be the 'go-home factor' for a player being drafted or asking to be traded.

When the competition has over 60% of its teams in one state then 'Interstate side' is a thing - it's a factor in several ways.

It is an issue because the term "interstate sides" implies a certain level of "other" or implying that Victorian sides are the real AFL, and not the non-Victorian sides.

Geez I get tired of writing this..but I’ll say it again

This elite Australian Rules Football competition is a VFL league with invited guest clubs joining who are privileged to be accepted.

Since 1897

So stop crying and get over it you bunch of babies

In that case we MUST refer to Sydney and Brisbane as Victorian teams.

They are VICTORIAN teams invited to play in other states.

See it sounds stupid doesn't it?

Do people in WA / SA / QLD / NSW not refer to teams outside of their state as "interstate sides"?

it depends on the context, doesn't it?

like, if someone is in Melbourne and they are talking to someone else in Melbourne then using the term 'interstate sides' - then whatever - it's in the same vein that I wouldn't ever complain about footy coverage in the Herald Sun or The Age - these are Melbourne papers

it's when a national broadcaster on a nationally syndicated tv show or game telecast uses the term, then it becomes problematic and reinforces the Victorian dominance over the league

Also what Victorian fans don't seem to grasp is without the non-Victorian sides the old VFL would likely be gone now. No way would a single-state competition have survived this long.

Read your history. The reason the league survived is because all Victorian clubs agreed to be under the same umbrella and be administered together by a commission responsible for all aspects of the league.

Not because WC sold some jumpers or the Crows sold a lot of hotdogs at AO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it depends on the context, doesn't it?

like, if someone is in Melbourne and they are talking to someone else in Melbourne then using the term 'interstate sides' - then whatever - it's in the same vein that I wouldn't ever complain about footy coverage in the Herald Sun or The Age - these are Melbourne papers

it's when a national broadcaster on a nationally syndicated tv show or game telecast uses the term, then it becomes problematic and reinforces the Victorian dominance over the league

10 of the 18 teams in the comp are based in Victoria, which also reinforces the Victorian dominance over the league.

If you want change then surely you want the AFL to balance the number of clubs, not word police how we talk about it.

yeah nah..I don’t think so petal

No worries. Sounds like your not someone that likes to move forward much. The GF being in Perth must really be grinding your gears then. You sound like someone who is still devastated that Trevor Marmalade got axed from the Footy Show. It's ok to be a bit anxious and a bit upset when things we don't understand happen Shane.

the whole port power thing is one big fraudulent mess

they don’t even know themselves who they are

If you are confused about the Port Adelaide FC, here’s the link to the AFL website and chronology of football in Australia.

You will notice in 1870 the Port Adelaide FC was formed an joined the AFL in 1997. Pretty straight forward really.

If the governing body of the sport recognises that as out inception, why does everyone else struggle so much?

Read your history. The reason the league survived is because all Victorian clubs agreed to be under the same umbrella and be administered together by a commission responsible for all aspects of the league.

Not because WC sold some jumpers or the Crows sold a lot of hotdogs at AO.

and I am saying the reason the old VFL clubs still exist is because the game went national. Had the game stayed entirely Victorian it would no longer exist.

If you are confused about the Port Adelaide FC, here’s the link to the AFL website and chronology of football in Australia.

You will notice in 1870 the Port Adelaide FC was formed an joined the AFL in 1997. Pretty straight forward really.

If the governing body of the sport recognises that as out inception, why does everyone else struggle so much?

You know you left the PA magpies behind and now you want it all back in the same cozy bed

Pathetic

10 of the 18 teams in the comp are based in Victoria, which also reinforces the Victorian dominance over the league.

If you want change then surely you want the AFL to balance the number of clubs, not word police how we talk about it.

but it's not really about how the average Joe in Melbourne refers to them

it's about how the non-Vic sides are referred to 'interstate' when on a nationally syndicated tv show or official game telecast

No worries. Sounds like your not someone that likes to move forward much. The GF being in Perth must really be grinding your gears then. You sound like someone who is still devastated that Trevor Marmalade got axed from the Footy Show. It's ok to be a bit anxious and a bit upset when things we don't understand happen Shane.

I live in Perth. I’m really happy the GF is here because I’ll be going to the game and drinking smuggled in whiskey while you tap away on BF sucking your thumb.

and I am saying the reason the old VFL clubs still exist is because the game went national. Had the game stayed entirely Victorian it would no longer exist.

yeah that’s not correct there buddy

You need to read up on the history of the league and educate yourself

Otherwise you just sound dumb

I live in Perth. I’m really happy the GF is here because I’ll be going to the game and drinking smuggled in whiskey while you tap away on BF sucking your thumb.

Smuggled in whisky? I didn't know I was dealing with a bad ass. My apologies. As you were.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back