Toast Fitness Boss Jarrod Wade

Remove this Banner Ad

That's more the recruiting team that's to blame.
The emphasis seems to be on athletic ability rather than football ability. I have been buyed by the drafting of the likes of Bianco, Daicos, Ginnivan and McCrae. They seem to have an innate football sense that allows them to be where the football is going to be and to negotiate traffic unlike many others....
Recruit kids that grew up with a Sherrin in their hands and we're half way there.

What are the odds that all of our recruits are spuds? Unless Hine deliberately recruited the worst players possible. The draft is basically a lottery. You don't really know who are going to become champions and who are going to disappear into obscurity. It's the system. Collingwood has become a SPUD Academy, turning young hopefuls into demoralized spuds.

Tell me the last Collingwood player that went to another team and went on to become a good player. Look at GWS and GC Suns. How is it that whenever other teams poach GWS or Suns players they generally go on to become great players for their respective teams. Do they just have better recruiters or do they just have a superior system in nurturing talent?

Uhm Paul Seedsman says hi. Made AA40 this year. Plenty of players over the year left Collingwood and killed it .... Nick Davis, Paul Williams etc etc

What are the odds that all of our recruits are spuds? Unless Hine deliberately recruited the worst players possible. The draft is basically a lottery. You don't really know who are going to become champions and who are going to disappear into obscurity. It's the system. Collingwood has become a SPUD Academy, turning young hopefuls into demoralized spuds.

Tell me the last Collingwood player that went to another team and went on to become a good player. Look at GWS and GC Suns. How is it that whenever other teams poach GWS or Suns players they generally go on to become great players for their respective teams. Do they just have better recruiters or do they just have a superior system in nurturing talent?
serious?

Witts, Ceglar, Scotland and Seedsman all come to mind without even thinking about it.

Collingwood may not have been able to land the absolute high-end superstars we've coveted over the last decade, but I think it's fair to say that we've done very well in retaining the talent we do have.

- Seedsman has had one (IMO, questionable) AA season with Adelaide - otherwise a slightly-above-average utility for them.
- Lumumba reached no great heights at Melbourne.
- Ceglar carved out a fine career at Hawthorn, but never even played a senior game for us.
- Witts was always behind Grundy, but has become a handy enough ruck for a perpetual bottom-four outfit.

Then, bringing up the Heath Scotlands and Paul Williams of the world may reinforce the original suggestion - we really haven't given much away in the last decade or two if you have to search that far back for an example.

The reason why GWS and GC have seemingly let go of a number of stars is:

a) they had unprecedented access to their early drafts and plucked a lot of elite junior talent
b) Both club, but particularly Gold Coast, were not set up well enough to develop, nurture and maximise that talent
c) Footballers & player agents pushed hard to leave the expansion clubs and improved their performances in surroundings they were more comfortable in.

Collingwood may not have been able to land the absolute high-end superstars we've coveted over the last decade, but I think it's fair to say that we've done very well in retaining the talent we do have.

- Seedsman has had one (IMO, questionable) AA season with Adelaide - otherwise a slightly-above-average utility for them.
- Lumumba reached no great heights at Melbourne.
- Ceglar carved out a fine career at Hawthorn, but never even played a senior game for us.
- Witts was always behind Grundy, but has become a handy enough ruck for a perpetual bottom-four outfit.

Then, bringing up the Heath Scotlands and Paul Williams of the world may reinforce the original suggestion - we really haven't given much away in the last decade or two if you have to search that far back for an example.

The reason why GWS and GC have seemingly let go of a number of stars is:

a) they had unprecedented access to their early drafts and plucked a lot of elite junior talent
b) Both club, but particularly Gold Coast, were not set up well enough to develop, nurture and maximise that talent
c) Footballers & player agents pushed hard to leave the expansion clubs and improved their performances in surroundings they were more comfortable in.
Rhyce Shaw? I was sad when he left as much as Heath Scotland. Williams not so much.

Theres a belief that Russell may not survive the review... Pies have apparently have enquired but Russell is on massive money. Blues might have to hold on to him.

Theres a belief that Russell may not survive the review... Pies have apparently have enquired but Russell is on massive money. Blues might have to hold on to him.

Why is he not surviving the review though? Do they see his contract as a strain on the footy department, or is he performing poorly?

I'm not sure how Carlton's list health has looked over the last 3 years but the only one that stands out is Charlie Curnow, which seems to be a personality issue.

Why is he not surviving the review though? Do they see his contract as a strain on the footy department, or is he performing poorly?

I'm not sure how Carlton's list health has looked over the last 3 years but the only one that stands out is Charlie Curnow, which seems to be a personality issue.
He's getting paid more than the coach mate.

Direct Q to the President about Russell, he span it basically saying right here right now we will implement 20+ recommendations.

Doesn't sound good for Russel, however he is on crazy $$ so would he take a pay cut + maybe a role reduction to come to the pies?

We are in the market for somebody so it'll be interesting to see who we get.

Hundreds of potential applicants you would think that would accept way less pay than the coach. Pass on Russell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon they should hire one of those Montage blokes. Whenever someone in the movies has to get fit, they go straight to a Montage.

We definitely need someone who can do something like this with the kids:

p.s. The challenger's montage looks like it might be following something closer to the "Essendon model" here, so ignore those bits as that's not the path we want to be taking...

Last edited: