Bluemour Melting Pot XXXII - Reaching fever pitch! 🔥 🔥 🔥

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the partial rebuild looking closer to completion with Cerra and Hewett.
What's the next steps from here?

Get Liam Stocker in there. Develop him the same way Christian Petracca has been. Forget the back pocket nonsense.

Cripps stays. Walsh Stays. Hewett in. Cerra in.

Fix the wings. Hard running skilled players who are good on the outside and in the contest. Philp, Cuningham, Ramsay, O'Brien, Kemp, Carroll to consider. Big audition year for them.

I'd be rapt if Dow improves to Cerra's level. I'd be sad if Cerra declines to Dow's. Is that what you meant?
Who is going to say No?
I'd assume people would be absolutely cheering.

But he's miles off and they aren't really comparable as players outside the fact that they were taken in the same draft. We are hoping that Dow becomes more of a Dangerfield player style wise, Cerra is more Simon Black. Not using those players as ceilings or expectations, just the way they play / roles.

Dow has shown glimpses at this stage, Cerra has played significantly more complete games and done so more consistently.

Ok so if Dow wasp pick 3 and we'd be happy if he was at Cerras level, then pick 8 plus a 3rd rounder should be ok. Not that I want to give away that much, I think pick 8 would be a fair price maybe in our favour.

While I like Brander, I don't see him as the answer to Jones but could he be trained to be? Nothing would surprise me.

When we drafted Jones did any of us see how his career would pan out?

He's young, he played there in the under 18s, he was rated pretty well. With development and opportunity who knows.

This is where Jones' replacement comes from, not the under 18s imo.

You won't win popularity contests saying that, but if they were all good picks then why are we chasing 2 mids in Cerra and Hewett? We shouldn't need to be bringing in these types given what we have already drafted.

Throw in Setterfield as well (traded in, not drafted) and you have the reason for the stalled rebuild. All of them have elite attributes, but when it comes to halving contests outside their area of strength, they don't measure up (by contests, I don't just mean winning a disputed ball, but all the running, marking, tackling, pressuring etc.). That is why we don't tend to play many of them at the same time any more (even with 15 injuries) - you can't have a collective group who are virtually guaranteed to not at least go 50/50 in contests. Stocker can come in and may be exposed in certain areas, but will absolutely be relied upon to compete and win his share (or more) of the contests he is in.

The fact that we are so happy to get Hewett really says a lot about the above guys. Dow is different to the others as he has shown he can win contests when he is actually in them - he just needs to get to more and stay involved when he doesn't have the ball. He also has the speed the others lack.

We could field a very good round one side in 2022 without any of those 5. It will be interesting to see what Voss and the new regime do with them.

Believe me, Im not trying to win any popularity contest and realise most people will disagree with me and Im ok with that. I stand by my opinion.

I absolutely agree we can field a really good side without them.

Melbourne not likely now for Cerra according to trade radio due to not having picks to be able to get a deal done.

With us being Freo's only option, surely pick 6 and a Mars bar just about gets the deal done. Suggestion that the following could be the deal:
Freo give Cerra and future for 4th
Carl give pick 6 and future 3rd

Only if that mars bar comes out of an old sponsorship merchandise cabinet.

Only Casboult so far murph and eddie retired.
How many are still out of contract? How many changes do we think we'll make?
So we have Murphy, Eddie and Levi out. Possibly SPS.
We have Hewett, Cerra and either a pick or player such as Brander to come from SPS if he goes. That only leaves one more spot to fill so far from those leaving. If we use 6 and either 25 or 61 for Cerra, that only leaves us with one draft pick to use. Even if we use 6 with next year's 2nd or 3rd rounder, that only leaves us with 25 and 61 this year.
We still have Newnes, Fogarty, LOB, Parks, Cottrell, Owies, Gibbons, McDonald, Setterfield and Ramsay out of contract. That's 10 players, plus 3 already gone and SPS possibly traded. 14 players, which obviously won't happen, but even if there's a few more from that list, where are we going to replace them from? Delisted free agents? Some will have to be on the trade table, so we can either get a player or picks back to fill their spot.
1632980458509.png

My two cents Cerra Vs 6

The only time we could regret pick 6 is 5 years from now IF

1. Josh Gibcus is available with that pick
  2. We still haven't drafted/traded in a quality key defender and Jones is long retired
  3. Gibcus is (or has) developing into a top tier key defender

That's 3 big if's which is a whole lot more than adding Cerra.

At best I view the other likely draftees at pick 6 as at best being as good as Cerra.

Cerra helps address an immediate need and will fill out our midfield very nicely. We lack his type on the list. We need more B-or-better grade mids. You can never have enough.

For me it comes down to addressing our future KPD need versus addressing an immediate need with class.

Gibcus may not even be available at 6. That would be deflating and a gamble we needn't take.

Very happy with Cerra. If Dow can continue to come on, Kennedy or Setters show their class and Cripps returns to form under Vossy we will be in the thick of September action.
That could be negated if we win a flag in the mean time. If we become a consistent finals side for a few years, it then shouldn't be hard to lure a decent defender across to replace Jones, making Gibcus redundant.

How many are still out of contract? How many changes do we think we'll make?
So we have Murphy, Eddie and Levi out. Possibly SPS.
We have Hewett, Cerra and either a pick or player such as Brander to come from SPS if he goes. That only leaves one more spot to fill so far from those leaving. If we use 6 and either 25 or 61 for Cerra, that only leaves us with one draft pick to use. Even if we use 6 with next year's 2nd or 3rd rounder, that only leaves us with 25 and 61 this year.
We still have Newnes, Fogarty, LOB, Parks, Cottrell, Owies, Gibbons, McDonald, Setterfield and Ramsay out of contract. That's 10 players, plus 3 already gone and SPS possibly traded. 14 players, which obviously won't happen, but even if there's a few more from that list, where are we going to replace them from? Delisted free agents? Some will have to be on the trade table, so we can either get a player or picks back to fill their spot.
View attachment 1249788

For starters Cottrell and Owies .. Ide say we would keep Omac for depth. Despite what people think I highly doubt Newnes will go .. Toss up between Parks and Gibbons for for the third.

I can't disagree with you more.

Drive, Desire, Intent you may not be able to teach in the "traditional" way of showing someone how to do it and telling them to practice it. but you definitely can create the conditions that encourage Drive & Desire. The best managers are the ones who learn how to encourage that. and it's not the same for every person, but good people managers will work that out and adapt.

That can be one of the reasons you see one person gets dropped to the 2's after 2 bad games vs another player who sits in the 1's for 4-5 weeks to turn around their form. A good manager will know which players need the kick up the ass vs being nurtured.

Drive, desire, intent, ticker, heart etc etc. They are not things a manager can teach you to have. You either have them or you dont.

And pretty much ensure that no player in the future would entertain the prospect of nominating us because we are a fair chance to f#@k up their future?

Sounds like a great plan
Yeah, I mean they completely stopped nominating us after the Jack Martin PSD debacle...

Not that I think PSD or draft is an option for Cerra.

What you've said there is give reasons as to why his career ended up being an underwhelming one. Further, if he did get all he could out of himself, again, that's an underwhelming return on what could've been. Whether it be his own efforts or being a victim of circumstance is irrelevant - and both are probably to blame on some level.
What I've done there is present a complete picture. I'm not interested in an argument; if I was, it would've happened a few posts ago, instead of informing you that I didn't agree.

I didn't agree then, and I still don't now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You want my honest opinion?

I think Gibbs is a big kid, who grew up loving footy and being the apple of his parent's eye, who never really grew up. I think he came to Melbourne and exchanged one boys club for another, and at no point was he forced to grow up or to become something more than a football player. He wasn't pushed, wasn't extended, and it wasn't really going to come from within.

When you get a kid like that, it's on you the coach to pull them through; they'll run through the wall for you. You give a player like that to Leigh Matthews, he's Luke Hodge or Michael Voss; you give a player like that to Alastair Clarkson, he's an in/out mid with a nasty streak who rises when it matters and spends 3-4 weeks a year on the sidelines because he's suspended for a bump, an over enthusiastic tackle (and who's lucky to only be out for 3-4 weeks due to the 'good bloke' discount'.

You pick a direction and get him going. Tell him where and when he's failing. What'd we do? We used him as a gap filler, his entire career. He was a tagger, then an intercept defender, then a general midfielder, then an inside mid, then a matchwinner because we had no-one else. We took this kid with the skills and the frame to be absolutely anything, we used him as a bandaid, and now we're kind of a bit meh about his career?

Did he leave a little bit on the table? Not at all; I'm pretty sure if you asked him, he'd say he did what he was told. I don't think he has the imagination or the ambition to have understood that he was capable of more.

Love your work here! This is exactly why we are where we are.

This year I had the joy of winning the Footy Tipping Comp.
Italy winning Euro Cup,
Getting lots of home projects done with Covid
And.... Being witness to justice prevailing with Melb winning Grand Final
I now have greater confidence, the universal planets will align to see us back inthe Finals next year.
It's going to happen, I can feel it.
And Stocker is going to be a ripper nest year. (Nearly my favourite player)
Can you feel what's cooking? (Ps. I always hated that slogan)
Go Blues and bring on 2022 F#@k the rest

Drive, desire, intent, ticker, heart etc etc. They are not things a manager can teach you to have. You either have them or you dont.
It's not necessarily teaching it. It's about nurturing it. If you're saying no other person can nurture those traits to help them grow are you then saying everyone has some innate level of drive, desire, intent that they're born with and nothing that happens in life will change that?

I'll give you an example

I work at a company going through redundancies, constantly changing their vision, nobody knows what anyone else is doing.

Vs

I work at a company that has strong leadership and a clear vision

The average person is going to perform at a higher level at the stable company with clear vision. That includes their drive to complete tasks. As there's clearer expectations and goals.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Things are heating up on the Freo board with this Eagles fan offering some wisdom. Looks like we’re set up for an exciting trade period.

how do you get that upset on an Internet forum?

was there a bit of provocation?

even so, you have to physically type and hit post. And even then there’s a delete function.

Club email informing me Aaron Hamill is onboard.

Good.👍👍

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back