News Lewis Young requests trade to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading a few Doggies fans views on him I don't think he'll be that guy.

Few of them seem to see him as being a bit soft, potential to shirk a contest.

Things that aren't in Liam Jones game. The complete opposite.

Maybe more the Marchbank intercept defender role.
I think Young’s main issue is focus more-so than being soft. He doesn’t seem to maintain intensity and concentration throughout the game.

He’s a frustrating one because he is a good intercept mark and is versatile but just has poor lapses, either in losing his man or sloppy turnovers.

You are right in regards to Marchbanks role being more suited for him, he’s still capable as that third tall but can’t be relied on as a lockdown defender.

Will go very cheaply so not a bad get for Carlton if he can iron out some of his flaws.

Well no, you might be able to change something in a skill set but something like courage or willingness to take heavy hits is often an innate thing.

You can't just train it out of someone.

Even on our list now we have players who all have varying degrees of willingness to put their bodies on the line.

Some people just have higher levels of self preservation than others. Even in sport.
I see your point, but I somewhat disagree... Confidence is the key... Give a player Confidence and then you see a huge change.. Maybe as hes young, and in and out etc he hasnt really found his feet yet not enough confidence.. So i can see this can still change..

Dogs supporters openly laughed at us when we traded for Jones.

Granted that it was via a strange route but that worked out o.k.

You need to work harder than just go the opposition board and take their contrarian view about people. You have done it with Hammill and know you are doing it with Young.

It was on the trading board.

What's contrarian about another teams player and their fans view of that player?

Is it contrarian because it's not the view you want to hear where they are blowing smoke up his arse and saying he's amazing?

I mean there's literally nothing
contrarian about the views of opposition fans about someone at their club.

Funny you bring up Jones as you'd have been having a moan at the time that dogs fans were saying he's no good as a forward.

Turns out they were right.

What I really want from the dogs is their first-round pick. The dogs want more points to match a bid for Darcy, so here's an opportunity to swap 25, plus whatever we get from west coast for pick 17 and Young. While 17 isn't a huge upgrade on 25, it's a first-rounder, so that lets us get more creative with our first-round pick next year.

22 year old can't change?

Would love to have seen their epitaphs on Liam Jones when he left.

You need to start making your own calls rather than just accepting opposition fans on big footy groupspeak as fact.

Reckon Nick Austin might have a fair idea of what Young might be.

flaky, soft etc were terms thrown around.

Marchy is a third tall down back, Young a bit tall for that?

I see your point, but I somewhat disagree... Confidence is the key... Give a player Confidence and then you see a huge change.. Maybe as hes young, and in and out etc he hasnt really found his feet yet not enough confidence.. So i can see this can still change..

He'll gain that confidence if we play him where he's suited in a role that doesn't require him to be the type of player he is not. Square pegs in round holes and all that.

If we ask him to stand under high balls constantly getting hammered I doubt we'd see the best of him.

If we ask him to roam around the background with a licence to intercept maybe we'll have a handy player on our hands.

Is KPP, with (some) experience playing all of KPD, KPF and ruck.

He hasn't proven himself in any of those roles, but he's still young (no pun intended), will come cheap, fills area(s) of need.

Basically a Levi replacement, but 10 years younger.

Seems a clever pickup to me....

OMAC really did a number on him against Brisbane in that final, it was borderline uncompetitive. Hopefully just a one off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is KPP, with (some) experience playing all of KPD, KPF and ruck.

He hasn't proven himself in any of those roles, but he's still young (no pun intended), will come cheap, fills area(s) of need.

Basically a Levi replacement, but 10 years younger.

Seems a clever pickup to me....
When a clever man finds something clever, then it's clever!

I wonder what he is worth?

..shall be interesting how it gets done, given the picks the Blues and Dogs have.
idk 25 seems too high, but 64 seems too low?

Well we'll all get to see eventually.

Doggies fans have seen a lot more of him than you or I.

And even if it's the case, doesn't mean he can't be given a good go at being that intercepting third tall we lack with Marchbank out.

That role might suit him perfectly. We sure as hell need someone to fill that void.

Agree - will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Austin obviously knows him and Dogs offered him a 2 year deal - so clearly their view is very different to a few of the Doggies supporters.

Late 2nd/early 3rd? He's not a complete outcast for them, played 9 games, including 2 finals, and was offered a 2 year deal.

We've got 6, 25 and 64.

WB only have 17 and 75.

I'd have Young valued at something around Pick 50.

They're gonna need points to match the Darcy bid, so doubt they're going to want a future pick. Though maybe they just take a deficit into next year, their first slides down a bit but they use a handful of later picks to work their way back up?

Freo don't really have any late picks either, so we're not going to immediately get a third rounder back from them to send to the Dogs.

My guess is that we'll have in-principle agreements in place with both clubs, but that a few preliminary trades will need to be made by a few parties to get the right pieces in play.

What I really want from the dogs is their first-round pick. The dogs want more points to match a bid for Darcy, so here's an opportunity to swap 25, plus whatever we get from west coast for pick 17 and Young. While 17 isn't a huge upgrade on 25, it's a first-rounder, so that lets us get more creative with our first-round pick next year.

nice thinking

Voss and Diesel will fix him (and the rest of our squad!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back