Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You guys had a look on Rocky Ridge website lately? They have some recipes of their beers on there, including full hop profiles/rates, fermentation schedules etc. Pretty cool if you wanted to try and emulate their beers.
Never been on their site but that’s pretty cool. Hopefully it translates well to homebrew scale

Had a squizz, not bad info. 20 min mash on their Pilsner! 😯

Is it stepped? I do wonder if some of it is simplified. Chatting with Hamish when he first released his beers, he was telling me his mash profile for a beer involved holding temp 4 times at various temps or something crazy. I was like "*, I know nothing about brewing" 🤣

Pilsner came in at 6.7% (1.015), cold crashed yesterday and finings added this morning. Taste test Saturday was very promising but hard to know when it's warm. Kegging it next weekend will give it 6 weeks lagering before a Christmas booze fest. Will have a Belgian Witbier in a fortnight then hoping to squeeze an American IPA to have 3 kegs for the Christmas break (both sides of the family at my place this year).

Plans for the new year: Mexican lager (come @ me FKASC) and an imperial Baltic porter for the winter.

2 weeks left of the dry spell and will finally see how the saison and stout turned out.

Pilsner came in at 6.7% (1.015), cold crashed yesterday and finings added this morning. Taste test Saturday was very promising but hard to know when it's warm. Kegging it next weekend will give it 6 weeks lagering before a Christmas booze fest. Will have a Belgian Witbier in a fortnight then hoping to squeeze an American IPA to have 3 kegs for the Christmas break (both sides of the family at my place this year).

Plans for the new year: Mexican lager (come @ me FKASC) and an imperial Baltic porter for the winter.

2 weeks left of the dry spell and will finally see how the saison and stout turned out.
Sounds awesome. I might try a mexilager too

was meant to brew another pilsner yesterday but ran out of time. Something to do this weekend

Considering using fresh Kveik on the AIPA, wondering how I can keep if warm enough though. Will have to keep an eye on the chilling to keep the temp up and might not be able to open the ferm fridge for a few days after pitching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May just stick with California Ale.

Have you got a heat belt? I'm guessing with a fermentation temp that hot it's all over and done with in a few days?

You could run up your heat belt in a cardboard box wrapped with a few towels and check what ambient temp it creates. Then pair that with a choice location and a few days of warm weather and you'll be sorted. It's a lot of fuckery just to use that yeast but then that's kinda what home brewing is anyway - innovation, band-aid solutions and McGyver s**t all wrapped up into one.

Have you got a heat belt? I'm guessing with a fermentation temp that hot it's all over and done with in a few days?

You could run up your heat belt in a cardboard box wrapped with a few towels and check what ambient temp it creates. Then pair that with a choice location and a few days of warm weather and you'll be sorted. It's a lot of *ery just to use that yeast but then that's kinda what home brewing is anyway - innovation, band-aid solutions and McGyver sh*t all wrapped up into one.

Ha! *ery isn't censored!

Yeah I've got the belt hanging in the fermenter fridge. Right this second I cannot be bothered with it but who knows what motivation I'll have when the day comes!

Ha! f***ery isn't censored!

Yeah I've got the belt hanging in the fermenter fridge. Right this second I cannot be bothered with it but who knows what motivation I'll have when the day comes!

It is, but in this little neck of the woods I thought I'd treat myself to circumventing that censorship. All in all it was pointless because then sh!t was censored haha

The fact you have to keep kveik so hot puts me off a bit - pretty much impossible to keep something that hot at a constant temp without a heat pad. I’m not sure how sensitive it is to temp drops mid fermentation though. If it can handle a bit of variance it would be pretty handy for people who have no alternative but to ferment in a hot ass shed

Tasted a couple of decent homebrew kveik IPAs lately which needed to be pumped out quickly.

The fact you have to keep kveik so hot puts me off a bit - pretty much impossible to keep something that hot at a constant temp without a heat pad. I’m not sure how sensitive it is to temp drops mid fermentation though. If it can handle a bit of variance it would be pretty handy for people who have no alternative but to ferment in a hot ass shed

Tasted a couple of decent homebrew kveik IPAs lately which needed to be pumped out quickly.

I've had a bit of a crack at kveik.
I used a heat belt in my fridge on temp controls.
Seemed to keep 35 degrees really constant, although the heat belt melted a little section of the inside plastic door of my fridge 😬😬😂.

I was originally pretty excited about the orange flavours it was putting out during fermentation, but it translated a bit average after conditioning ( maybe my brewing though)
I reckon my beers (same recipie )
come up better with other yeasts

I've had a bit of a crack at kveik.
I used a heat belt in my fridge on temp controls.
Seemed to keep 35 degrees really constant, although the heat belt melted a little section of the inside plastic door of my fridge 😬😬😂.

I was originally pretty excited about the orange flavours it was putting out during fermentation, but it translated a bit average after conditioning ( maybe my brewing though)
I reckon my beers (same recipie )
come up better with other yeasts
Yeah I think it’s very rare that it objectively improves the flavour of a beer recipe. There’s s**t loads of strains though and they’re all pretty different apparently

May be best just to wait for a hot week in Jan/Feb and give it a go then, can just use the ambient temp to keep it hot during the day and the belt for nights.
I think it rips through most beers in a couple of days at most so you wouldn’t need to do it for long

Pretty shitty brew day.

Spent the week filtering water - including adding salts and acid, ******* around with starters, kegging the pils and cleaning the fermenter and setting up my gear. Last night I'm about 30 seconds from heading inside after being all set for the morning - oh that's right, need to set the timer for the heating element in the HLT. Power trips. After much ******* around and testing (my fuse box is 30m from my shed) my heating element is ****ed. It's currently under 50l of treated water on the stand 6 foot high. After trying my best not to lose my s**t, decide * it, BIAB it is with the gas burner instead.

What a ****ed day, spilt more wort than I have ever in my life, getting the pump to work was a campaigner, scalded my hand on some hot wort - in short I was the living embodiment of Murphy's Law. To top it all off, recalibrated my Tilt this morning and popped it in my cooled wort - undershot the gravity by 12 points. * off. Add a litre/250g slurry of dextrose and re check it 15 minutes later, no change. Decide to do a manual check and I'm only 1 point off the target. So seems I got roughly 2.5 years out of my Tilt and it's been questionable for the past 6 months or so. So disappointing.

Anyway, one if those days/weeks that felt more like work than a hobby, just not feeling it and glad that it's almost done - just gotta pitch now.

Pretty shitty brew day.

Spent the week filtering water - including adding salts and acid, ******* around with starters, kegging the pils and cleaning the fermenter and setting up my gear. Last night I'm about 30 seconds from heading inside after being all set for the morning - oh that's right, need to set the timer for the heating element in the HLT. Power trips. After much ******* around and testing (my fuse box is 30m from my shed) my heating element is f’ed. It's currently under 50l of treated water on the stand 6 foot high. After trying my best not to lose my sh*t, decide fu** it, BIAB it is with the gas burner instead.

What a f’ed day, spilt more wort than I have ever in my life, getting the pump to work was a campaigner, scalded my hand on some hot wort - in short I was the living embodiment of Murphy's Law. To top it all off, recalibrated my Tilt this morning and popped it in my cooled wort - undershot the gravity by 12 points. fu** off. Add a litre/250g slurry of dextrose and re check it 15 minutes later, no change. Decide to do a manual check and I'm only 1 point off the target. So seems I got roughly 2.5 years out of my Tilt and it's been questionable for the past 6 months or so. So disappointing.

Anyway, one if those days/weeks that felt more like work than a hobby, just not feeling it and glad that it's almost done - just gotta pitch now.

Sounds like it's time for a beer mate

Back