Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

I said it before, but some of our B grade mids need to make way for younger players.

Realistically shuey may go on for 1 more year and im not sure if redden is contracted for another year.

Id look at trading out gaff for a 10 to 15 draft pick.

We need to get guys like XON & foley to play in their proper positions yo see if they will be part of the next gen.

We already know what sheed, gaff, shuey, yeo, Kelly and redden can do and frankly, them as a mob are no where near it anymore.

I think Gaff's market value is 30-45. He's 29 and played 230 games. Maybe has 3 seasons left. Is there a team who needs his skillset? (a guy who can jog all game and holds the ball up all the time).

Too many unfit players .
Of course a team that runs and spreads will murder us .

Swans looked they were running on top of a fast track and we looked like we were running in mud. So much quicker and burst speed. Just have a look the players who were doing it. Mills, Goulden, Campbell, Warner, Rowbottom, Bell, Blakey......... never mind Heaney. Mc Donald the same.

Young legs with speed.

We look unfit, which we are and know why. And uninterested.

Simo let the boys off pre game saying that the reality is returning players will need to get fit playing. That is what the WAFL is for though.....not this level.

Last edited:
Negative.
Lost our last 5 games at Optus Stadium.
With games against Tigers, Demons, Dogs, Cats, Bombers, Carlton, Saints, Crows then Freo coming up at Optus seriously the only winnable game is probably the Crows. That's likely a disgusting home losing streak, surely we have never come close to that before?

Positive
Might upgrade seats at the end of the year after the bandwagon empties.
Absolute tripe

Every victorian will tell you that we automatically win every game at optus so having the grand final at the mcg is just and fair.

Sounds like everyone knew within the team they weren’t going to be able to keep up with Sydney after coming back from Covid and the white flag was raised before the ball was bounced. If you’re going to donate 4 points atleast give the kids another run at it.

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but a big negative to me is that I had really hoped that bringing Knights and Schofield in would help get rid of the frequent lily livered piss-weak efforts that lead to us losing games before we've even fired a shot. Maybe it is some kind of availability bias given I don't watch a lot of other teams anymore but I find it hard to believe there is another team who has the talent, skill and experience that we do which just seems to misfire as a collective the moment they come up against a hard team that doesn't run in straight lines.

I think this team has been badly coached for years because somebody high up seems to think they can win it by focusing on playing good uncontested footy and that's what they train for. We're still sticking to the old Hawks brand that well-honed kicking skills, maintaining possession and guarding space will get you the win and then wondering why it looks like the effort isn't there when it doesn't work against a team that just runs around us like witches hats.

On top of that we have coaches and an administration that, in some cases to their credit, have been cautious not to overreact when things don't work. That can be an asset sometimes but the unfortunate consequence of having a low gain on your reactions is that you can be prone to not learning at all from failure. That's where we are right now. We've seen for years now that our skills and strategy can work, and looks good when it comes off, but we get destroyed time and time again by teams that have enough agility to handball around us until they get it to a man in space.

Now maybe we don't play as bad as that again this year. Maybe we even come out next week and put in a decent effort against Port. I'll cheer for that if it happens because despite our problems I like when we play well. But also deep down I know that this club is ****ed until we decide to embark on teaching and training these players a new strategy that actually holds up in a contested environment.

Swans looked they were running on top of a fast track and we looked like we were running in mud. So much quicker and burst spead. Just have a look the players who were doing it. Mills, Goulden, Campbell, Warner, Rowbottom, Bell, Blakey......... never mind Heaney. Mc Donald the same.

Young legs with speed.

We look unfit, which we are and know why. And uninterested.

Simo let the boys off pre game saying that the reality is returning players will need to get fit playing. That is what the WAFL is for though.....not this level.
We were younger than the Swans. Tallent identification, list management and development is an area where the swans are light years ahead of us.

We have young players who struggle after 3-4 years on our list. Unless they bring something very special (2M++, absolute pace etc) if they arnt a good AFL player after three seasons it is time to move them on.

Sounds like everyone knew within the team they weren’t going to be able to keep up with Sydney after coming back from Covid and the white flag was raised before the ball was bounced. If you’re going to donate 4 points atleast give the kids another run at it.
Simmo was pretty open in his thoughts - we're going to give away 4 points anyway so may as well use it to get km's into Shuey's, Yeo's, and Kelly's legs. He also said recently he hadn't put the cue in the rack yet, and if we know Simmo and his "credit trading scheme" then he still thinks we can compete with the top teams.

The rest of the world knows that without a doubt we are cooked and need to rebuild. It will be interesting how Simmo sees it because he's been asleep at he wheel for 3 seasons now. The hard thing will be getting visibility when we still have lots of injuries and lots of spuds. And then do you play kids who may not be ready simply because senior players are not performing, or do you accept some senior players are on their last legs and prioritise developing kids at the optimal pace?

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but a big negative to me is that I had really hoped that bringing Knights and Schofield in would help get rid of the frequent lily livered piss-weak efforts that lead to us losing games before we've even fired a shot. Maybe it is some kind of availability bias given I don't watch a lot of other teams anymore but I find it hard to believe there is another team who has the talent, skill and experience that we do which just seems to misfire as a collective the moment they come up against a hard team that doesn't run in straight lines.

I think this team has been badly coached for years because somebody high up seems to think they can win it by focusing on playing good uncontested footy and that's what they train for. We're still sticking to the old Hawks brand that well-honed kicking skills, maintaining possession and guarding space will get you the win and then wondering why it looks like the effort isn't there when it doesn't work against a team that just runs around us like witches hats.

On top of that we have coaches and an administration that, in some cases to their credit, have been cautious not to overreact when things don't work. That can be an asset sometimes but the unfortunate consequence of having a low gain on your reactions is that you can be prone to not learning at all from failure. That's where we are right now. We've seen for years now that our skills and strategy can work, and looks good when it comes off, but we get destroyed time and time again by teams that have enough agility to handball around us until they get it to a man in space.

Now maybe we don't play as bad as that again this year. Maybe we even come out next week and put in a decent effort against Port. I'll cheer for that if it happens because despite our problems I like when we play well. But also deep down I know that this club is f’ed until we decide to embark on teaching and training these players a new strategy that actually holds up in a contested environment.
I've been saying this for years (as have others). I think part of the problem is some of these players have been playing "maintain possession and corale" footy for their whole senior career and it's hard to change to contest footy.

We won the flag and now we must pay for it.

We were younger than the Swans. Tallent identification, list management and development is an area where the swans are light years ahead of us.

We have young players who struggle after 3-4 years on our list. Unless they bring something very special (2M++, absolute pace etc) if they arnt a good AFL player after three seasons it is time to move them on.

Absolutely… we hold onto absolute garbage on our list year after year frequently giving them two year deals and when thats done putting them on the rookie list to keep them around…. If your 21- 24 and still playing regular wafl and getting beaten by opponents there sorry your gone… id rather we pick those same wafl guys who have matured and would kill for the chance than the modi coddled u18 development squad guys who think they are owed an afl spot due to talent not work ethic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heeney said after the match, they knew WC would have underdone players so that was part of their strategy.
He said they knew pace would beat WC and played that way for the first half, then WC changed plans in 3rd qtr to address this, but the Swans reverted to pace again in the 4th and tore away.
He also said they know the home crowd is a big factor here, so they decided to embrace that and take it on.

Not sure if I heard right on the tv coverage but anyone at the game last night able to confirm if TK was given the Bronx cheer by the crowd at one stage?

Simmo was pretty open in his thoughts - we're going to give away 4 points anyway so may as well use it to get km's into Shuey's, Yeo's, and Kelly's legs. He also said recently he hadn't put the cue in the rack yet, and if we know Simmo and his "credit trading scheme" then he still thinks we can compete with the top teams.

The rest of the world knows that without a doubt we are cooked and need to rebuild. It will be interesting how Simmo sees it because he's been asleep at he wheel for 3 seasons now. The hard thing will be getting visibility when we still have lots of injuries and lots of spuds. And then do you play kids who may not be ready simply because senior players are not performing, or do you accept some senior players are on their last legs and prioritise developing kids at the optimal pace?
Prioritise developing the kids until the senior guys have built their fitness in the WAFL and on the training track.

I don’t know, to me the first consideration for selection would be whether or not you can actually run out a game

It's Simmo we are talking about here haha!!!
The sooner Simmo goes the better as far as I'm concerned - maybe he's a nice bloke but his coaching and selections leave a lot to be desired at times and I feel for the younger brigade who just get shoved aside only to bring back in players who have credits in the bank never mind how unfit or ready to play they are. Mind boggling and you would think Simmo would have learnt the error of doing this based on last year's debacle against the Bulldogs when he did the same thing.

Not sure if I heard right on the tv coverage but anyone at the game last night able to confirm if TK was given the Bronx cheer by the crowd at one stage?
Didn’t notice it. Honestly, the way we started you couldn’t single out just one player.

Didn’t notice it. Honestly, the way we started you couldn’t single out just one player.
You’re right, he certainly wasn’t an orphan in that regard but just thought it seemed an interesting reception from the crowd that’s all. Venting some frustration perhaps.

All of this talk about us dropping young hungry players for underdone veterans which cost us the game is a bit bemusing.
I'm pretty sure we only dropped 2 players in Xon and Hough, who were both unlucky.

The rest were injured or covid struck.

TBF, they wouldn't have made a difference last night.
We were just outclassed and out run by a better side.

Simpson said the first half was “extremely disappointing”. I was at the game…it wasn’t disappointing it was embarrassing. Someone needs to apologise to supporters for such a feeble and embarrassing effort. Professional sportspeople should never arrive on a ground/court/field and merely spectate for an hour.

Simpson said the first half was “extremely disappointing”. I was at the game…it wasn’t disappointing it was embarrassing. Someone needs to apologise to supporters for such a feeble and embarrassing effort. Professional sportspeople should never arrive on a ground/court/field and merely spectate for an hour.
At half time i said to my wife, glad we didnt fly to Perth for Easter. (we would have had to endure that). She agreed

All of this talk about us dropping young hungry players for underdone veterans which cost us the game is a bit bemusing.
I'm pretty sure we only dropped 2 players in Xon and Hough, who were both unlucky.

The rest were injured or covid struck.

TBF, they wouldn't have made a difference last night.
We were just outclassed and out run by a better side.
But it does make a difference mate, spirit and attack on the football is infectious. When you see your teammates hitting the contest hard and winning the ball, everybody else steps up to match that intent. We had no right to win the Collingwood game, or the Saints & Richmond games last year, but we had a lot of young guys putting pressure on their opponents causing spillages and turnovers and giving us opportunities to win the ball back.
Last night, our senior players just jogged two or 3 metres behind their midfield opponents and they waltzed out of the middle and scored time after time.
Skills and ability are definitely required, but everybody has that in the AFL, it’s the teams that bring the attack and intent and pressure that nine times out of 10 win the game.
Even having one young guy in the middle, busting his backside to put pressure on his opponents, may have helped us win a few more contests and not be pantsed in such an embarrassing manner last night. It’s was atrocious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back