Autopsy 2022 Rd 8 3rd Quarter Blue Blitz Downs the Crows

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Crows?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Thing is, the crumbing is being done (and well) by mediums like JSOS and Martin. It's actually not the end of the world if our smalls aren't front and centre, because the gameplan seems to be utilising them higher up the ground to pressure the opposition rebound. Refreshing to see contests in the forward 50 with only 4-6 players involved, rather than our genius* plans of yesteryear which seemed to involved flooding our own forward 50 and removing any space for our key forwards to lead into.
I'm not convinced our crumbing inside 50 has been done well by anyone as yet, personally.

The Jacks have moments of it but with SOS in the ruck and Martins known drifting in and out of games they're not consistent with it. Imo our best crumber ironically is Charlie, along with Fisher he'd be our fastest hand to foot player, incredibly fast twitched.

On Martin, why was he subbed out? Didn't have any audio so not sure if they explained what happened.

I'm not convinced our crumbing inside 50 has been done well by anyone as yet, personally.

The Jacks have moments of it but with SOS in the ruck and Martins known drifting in and out of games they're not consistent with it. Imo our best crumber ironically is Charlie, along with Fisher he'd be our fastest hand to foot player, incredibly fast twitched.

On Martin, why was he subbed out? Didn't have any audio so not sure if they explained what happened.
Calf

I noticed the smalls do a fair amount of blocking off the ball giving the big guys a chop out and clean run at the incoming ball. Makes it difficult to be front and centre

Absolute pleasure to watch yesterday. To come to the footy expecting a win, enjoying the game from start to finish, winning then leaving is just ******* weird for us younger-ish supporters.

Charlie is dead set scary. Their backman obviously isn't the most talented but in terms of body positioning and work rate, he actually didn't even do that much wrong; Charlie was just way too good. His reach in the air and his ability at ground level makes him a threat whenever he's near it.

List is looking good, quality all over the park.

We're a game clear in the 4 with an easy draw to come, we really should be aiming to stay and finish there. We may not be the 4th best team in the league, but due to our draw and our hot start we 100% should be aiming to finish the H&A season there.

Maybe Fisher just outworked them and played a very good game?

No....couldn't be that...it was the Crows who didn't specifically target him that resulted in him playing well, no credit to Fisher....
That's not what I wrote.

Fisher played his role, it's just the most clear cut example in the stats and gameplay that the Crows weren't going with him. They were making aggressive runs from defence, but they were without purpose, just eating up space before turning it over 30-60m from goal.

GWS might be yet another opponent that he can exploit this way, but mostly because they're a horribly coached team.

That's not what I wrote.

Fisher played his role, it's just the most clear cut example in the stats and gameplay that the Crows weren't going with him. They were making aggressive runs from defence, but they were without purpose, just eating up space before turning it over 30-60m from goal.

GWS might be yet another opponent that he can exploit this way, but mostly because they're a horribly coached team.
Just say it Jim, I know it's hard....

Fisher played a good game

Didn't see the injury/incident with Martin either, and the broadcast team didn't seem to make any effort to look into it. Hopefully something minor/precautionary. Might watch the replay this arvo and see if I can spot it.

I'd agree we're not necessarily crumbing well. But it does look like we have some method in place - clear the zone, let Harry and Charlie compete in the air, defend the rushed exit if the opposition get the ball and run it back in. There's more nuance than that, of course, but we seem to be making a concerted effort to not have players getting in the way of the talls, which has the added benefit of limiting the number of opposition players who can impact the contest too. Maybe that's just gonna be our brand - smalls apply pressure while the talls and mids score the goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's not what I wrote.

Didn't see the injury/incident with Martin either, and the broadcast team didn't seem to make any effort to look into it. Hopefully something minor/precautionary. Might watch the replay this arvo and see if I can spot it.

I'd agree we're not necessarily crumbing well. But it does look like we have some method in place - clear the zone, let Harry and Charlie compete in the air, defend the rushed exit if the opposition get the ball and run it back in. There's more nuance than that, of course, but we seem to be making a concerted effort to not have players getting in the way of the talls, which has the added benefit of limiting the number of opposition players who can impact the contest too. Maybe that's just gonna be our brand - smalls apply pressure while the talls and mids score the goals.
Telecast did show Martin in the rooms during the third quarter. Moving slowly. Not sure it was a tear based on the no ice/no-one attending to him at the time. Suggest tightness based on my non medical training from a long way away and a five second non injury viewing. :p

Telecast did show Martin in the rooms during the third quarter. Moving slowly. Not sure it was a tear based on the no ice/no-one attending to him at the time. Suggest tightness based on my non medical training from a long way away and a five second non injury viewing. :p

I'll take that as gospel thanks.

It's annoying that the media are now trying to play the will he or won't he get suspended game with Cripps' extremely normal and legal tackle, but nobody is looking at or talking about the elbow to Newnes' face.

That's nice that the club want to reward him for playing the free role forward of centre, but Cripps was BOG, followed by Charlie.

Fisher had a good game, but so did a lot of players. He was smart in taking what he was given, and I'm not calling for him to be dropped, just pointing out that we've had two terrible opponents and he's suddenly bobbed up.

I would like to see him (and others) get a real test because this is a side that should be standing up in finals, and probably should have been doing so 2 years ago.

They don't know their arse from their face when it comes to KPP.
Funny how things pan out. Early doors I know, but we looked to get way unders for SPS based on the amount of time we had invested in him and the hope that he carried from our supporters that he would flourish as times got better.

Already trading to get the pick that we needed to secure Young looks like great business.

In Austins' 2 years we have picked up Williams (Free Agent), Saad (trade 1st rounder), Durdin at 37, Carroll at 41, Parks as a rookie, Mirkov & Boyd (mid season) - Lets call this the speed draft in 2020.

2021 Saw us pick up Hewitt (Free Agent), Trade out SPS for Young (effectively). Trade in Cerra (first rounder), Motlop (27) and re-rookie O'Brien and Cottrell.

You could literally say that each of those moves has made us a better team, even the most minor ones. 9 of those players listed above played yesterday (albeit 2 were re-rookied). Hewitt is a walk up starter when fit, Mirkov & Motlop look to definite long term prospects.

Just Wow.

Back