Fixture Gather Round - SA announced as host for next 3 years 2024-2026

Remove this Banner Ad

GATHER ROUND SOUTH AUSTRALIA
AFL LOCKS IN SA FOR NEXT THREE SEASONS

The AFL in partnership with the SA Government is pleased to announce ‘Gather Round…. A Festival of Footy’ will be hosted in South Australia for the next three seasons.

The inaugural ‘Gather Round’ has been an overwhelming success, with all nine games sold out, more than 220,000 fans attending matches across the Adelaide Oval, Norwood Oval and Mount Barker in the Adelaide Hills and tens of thousands of fans attending the footy festival on the banks of Torrens.

More than 60,000 fans purchased tickets from interstate.

Across 2024, 2025 and 2026, Gather Round …. A festival of footy will be hosted exclusively in South Australia, with Adelaide Oval to be the central venue, with the intent from both the AFL and the SA Government to take regional matches in 2024 to the Barossa / McClaren Vale region.

As part of the three-year term, both the AFL and SA Government have also committed to establishing a community football legacy fund, that will benefit local footy clubs in the state beyond the weekend of matches.

The AFL will lock in the fixture dates of the round in the coming weeks to give fans as much lead time as possible to book travel and accommodation.

Ticketing information will be release later in the year.

“South Australia really turned it on. Gather Round and all the activity across the state, the nine matches, the footy festival and the community football engagement has been some of the best days and events the AFL has ever delivered,” AFL Chief Executive Gillon McLachlan said.

“It has been a success because everyone in football got behind the idea, clubs, players, corporate partners and most importantly our fans, to deliver an extraordinary few days,

“While the concept has real momentum, and we plan on taking it to other states around the country, we also feel in order for it to be as successful in the other states we need to continue to build out the concept in South Australia,

“The reality is we only had a few months to pull this together, and we hope by locking it in now we are giving everyone a longer runway to put together a bigger and even better event, and our fans certainty around booking travel and accommodation.

“The match at Mount Barker was a special afternoon on Saturday and an important part of recommitting to South Australia was to establish the community legacy fund, ensuring local footy clubs’ benefit from bringing the Gather Round to town.”

During the round the AFL has facilitated dozens of community club and school visits, held seminars for community club volunteers and delivered more than 10,000 footballs to regional community clubs.

Details on the Community legacy fund will be communicated at a later date.

“On behalf of the AFL I want to thank to Premier Malinauskas and his team in the SA Government who in partnership, delivered an unbelievable few days for footy and the state of South Australia.”

The AFL will also work with the AFLPA on the commitments to the players.

“The players have been strong partners in the Gather Round concept and have embraced wholeheartedly the round. We will now work with the AFLPA on the commitments to the players in the coming years.”

SA Premier Peter Malinauskas said “The inaugural Gather Round has been a stunning success, in no small part thanks to the willingness of South Australians, and our interstate visitors, to show up.
“We know that this has delivered huge benefits for our state, and that is why I’m so pleased to see it return for the next three years.”

“With more time to plan, we know we can make Gather Round even bigger and better than what it has already become.”

“I want to thank Gillon McLachlan, the AFL, wider footballing community, public servants, councils and others who’ve all worked so hard to deliver such an amazing event in just a few months.”

“But most of all, I want to thank each and every person who showed up.”

“This agreement is because of you.”

-ends-

Last edited by a moderator:
if the AFL had of come out and just said that we are dropping a pre-season game and instead adding an extra round of premiership season games, so that now there are 23 home and away games, everyone would have been excited. more footy amirite?
and then, at the launch of the fixture they then say that the extra round will be held in one city, rotated every season, and that no team will end up with more than 11 home games, again people would have been excited.

The negativity towards more footy is just bizarre, do people like footy or not? The AFL aren't perfect but it seems anything they try and do is just immediately demolished by a wall of negativity from supporters who most the time don't even bother to read the details. People are still blowing up about losing a home game for this concept, which isn't even happening.

Apparently magic round is a big chance to start in SA. I was thinking about how they could schedule it.

Friday: double header at Adelaide Oval, start about 5.15-5.30 with Crows v Cats.

Saturday: double header early and afternoon at Prospect Oval (20k capacity), four low drawing clubs

Saturday night: Another double header at Adelaide Oval, mid drawing clubs

Sunday: double early header at Norwood Oval (22k capacity), low to mid drawing clubs

Sunday twilight: Port v Collingwood at AO, should get a good crowd and let them wear the prison bar for Eddie melts

Apparently magic round is a big chance to start in SA. I was thinking about how they could schedule it.

Friday: double header at Adelaide Oval, start about 5.15-5.30 with Crows v Cats.

Saturday: double header early and afternoon at Prospect Oval (20k capacity), four low drawing clubs

Sunday: double early header at Norwood Oval (22k capacity), low to mid drawing clubs

Sunday twilight: Port v Collingwood at AO, should get a good crowd and let them wear the prison bar for Eddie melts
All of the SANFL grounds, bar Noarlunga, have horrendously bad parking issues.

So if there's to be any SANFL venue used, it will be down South.

I like the idea of a game or two being regional though, as some country grounds' facilities/playing surfaces would be even better than many SANFL venues.

Good effort but you’d imagine there would be a Thursday night game thrown into magic round.

All of the SANFL grounds, bar Noarlunga, have horrendously bad parking issues.

So if there's to be any SANFL venue used, it will be down South.

I like the idea of a game or two being regional though, as some country grounds' facilities/playing surfaces would be even better than many SANFL venues.
Depends.

Noarlunga offers parking inside the stadium like a country venue, however, the AFL has shown historically, when they expect a crowd, they lock the cars out. So you lose that.

So Noarlunga and Elizabeth stand out, both have major shopping centers across the road. So you can utilise parking there. (I know the AFL organised this at Noarlunga for the AFLw game at the beginning of the 2022 season)

Everywhere else is streetside parking only.

EXCEPT MAYBE Thebarton, that has Kings Reserve next door which can add another option.
Richmond Oval might also be okay. Yes, streetside only. HOWEVER, it's right in an industrial area, so on weekends, you'd think there'd be less people around opening up spots for cars.

Some quotes from Peter V'landys on the prospect of the AFL playing a Magic Round in Sydney in 2023 from Phil Rothfield's ''What's the Buzz''? column last weekend.

“It doesn’t worry me in the slightest,” V’landys said. “We’ll actually use it to our advantage.

“It’s a good opportunity to promote our own game to a new audience they’re bringing into town.

“We’ll give the fans from interstate the chance to come and experience the greatest game for all while they are here.”

They are copying Andrew Abdo’s idea and that’s actually flattering,” V’landys said.

“For us it’s an acknowledgment of how well we’ve done in Brisbane.

“Every idea is only as good as it’s implemented and Andrew and his team have done it magnificently.

“Can they do it as well as us? That’s the question.”

“They’ll bring fans in from interstate and it will be good for the NSW economy,” he said.

“I don’t think it’s going to affect us at all because I don’t think they’ll attract rugby league people to their games.

“I’m really confident it will be the other way around.

“Collingwood fans for example would come to watch their team play. They’re very tribal and they’ll only be in Sydney to watch their own team.

“If they really want to get a Sydney experience they can come and watch a rugby league game.”

Re the bit in bold, the English Super League has had a ''Magic Round'' since 2007, the NRL first had one in 2019 so really Andrew Abdo just copied their idea. I also doubt people heading to Sydney for an AFL ''Magic Round'' will head to an NRL game like PVL thinks/hopes will be the case.

Some quotes from Peter V'landys on the prospect of the AFL playing a Magic Round in Sydney in 2023 from Phil Rothfield's ''What's the Buzz''? column last weekend.

“It doesn’t worry me in the slightest,” V’landys said. “We’ll actually use it to our advantage.

“It’s a good opportunity to promote our own game to a new audience they’re bringing into town.

“We’ll give the fans from interstate the chance to come and experience the greatest game for all while they are here.”

They are copying Andrew Abdo’s idea and that’s actually flattering,” V’landys said.

“Every idea is only as good as it’s implemented and Andrew and his team have done it magnificently.

“They’ll bring fans in from interstate and it will be good for the NSW economy,” he said.

“I don’t think it’s going to affect us at all because I don’t think they’ll attract rugby league people to their games.

“Collingwood fans for example would come to watch their team play. They’re very tribal and they’ll only be in Sydney to watch their own team.

“If they really want to get a Sydney experience they can come and watch a rugby league game.”

Re the bit in bold, the English Super League has had a ''Magic Round'' since 2007, the NRL first had one in 2019 so really Andrew Abdo just copied their idea. I also doubt people heading to Sydney for an AFL ''Magic Round'' will head to an NRL game like PVL thinks/hopes will be the case.

I don't know about Collingwood fans specifically, but I'd probably watch four or five AFL games. That's the whole point of a Magic Round. Otherwise it's just travelling to watch your team play, which I'd do less frequently.

It's not like Collingwood fans don't currently have an NRL option 400m from their main home ground. Playing a Storm game in Sydney might boost crowds a bit, but overall, I expect it'd be negligible.

I also assumed the AFL would try to schedule it during the NRL's Magic Round in Brisbane.

I don't know about Collingwood fans specifically, but I'd probably watch four or five AFL games. That's the whole point of a Magic Round. Otherwise it's just travelling to watch your team play, which I'd do less frequently.

It's not like Collingwood fans don't currently have an NRL option 400m from their main home ground. Playing a Storm game in Sydney might boost crowds a bit, but overall, I expect it'd be negligible.

I also assumed the AFL would try to schedule it during the NRL's Magic Round in Brisbane.
That's why Melbourne storm play on Anzac day night to try get some of the afl crowds to come across, I doubt it has much effect.

I think it’s a cracking idea.
I have mates interstate that go for different teams with proper notice it would become a yearly kids free boys trip.
Most victorians don’t get this because they have the opportunity multiple times a year to go to different games with their mates who support other clubs.
Would be happy for it to be rotated first year SA then Qld,Wa and nsw.
I live in vic 3 out of 4 are good road trips for people whinging about planes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't really see the point. Id probably prefer the festival of footy we had during covid (game on every night) if we are coming up with stupid ideas

Could be one of the most delusional blokes going around.

No one with more than a dozen brain cells gives the slightest sh*t about "Rugbah League."

The first thing they need to do is get rid of the title of "Magic Round".

Call it Community Round and take games to the regions and promote tourism and country footy if tax payers money is going towards this event. I presume they'll mainly be low drawing fixtures besides maybe a centrepiece Showdown if in SA.

There are a number of country venues that have been upgraded recently or a suitable for AFL. You could have:

Thu Night: Gold Coast vs Richmond (Adelaide Oval)
Fri Night: Adelaide vs Port Adelaide (Adelaide Oval)
Sat Afternoon: Brisbane vs Geelong (Mt Gambier - South-East Region)
Sat Afternoon: Fremantle vs North Melbourne (Pt Augusta - gateway to Outback/Flinders Ranges)
Sat Twilight: Essendon vs Melbourne (Loxton - Riverland)
Sat Night: Sydney vs Carlton (Adelaide Oval)
Sun Afternoon: West Coast vs St Kilda (Whyalla - gateway to Eyre Peninsula)
Sun Afternoon: Hawthorn vs Bulldogs (Strathalbyn - Fleurieu Peninsula/Adelaide Hills)
Sun Twilight: GWS vs Collingwood (Tanunda - Barossa Valley)

Call it Community Round and take games to the regions and promote tourism and country footy if tax payers money is going towards this event. I presume they'll mainly be low drawing fixtures besides maybe a centrepiece Showdown if in SA.

There are a number of country venues that have been upgraded recently or a suitable for AFL. You could have:

Sat Afternoon: Fremantle vs North Melbourne (Pt Augusta - gateway to Outback/Flinders Ranges)
Sun Afternoon: Hawthorn vs Bulldogs (Strathalbyn - Fleurieu Peninsula/Adelaide Hills)

Any logic behind some of the choices here?

Can't see Gold Coast having a standalone fixture in primetime.

Plus sending some of the biggest name teams in Collingwood and Essendon to the regions isn't going to happen.

The likeliest fixtures to be played outside of Adelaide Oval will be your GWS v Gold Coast and Brisbane v Freo etc.

I don’t think double or triple headers are necessary for the home teams so maybe SA looks like this:

Thursday night Crows v Cats AO

Friday night Port v Pies AO

Saturday afternoon double header at non AO ground

Saturday night double header at non AO ground

^ 4 games involving lowest drawing clubs, just have to figure out best suited grounds but obviously within Adelaide for economic reasons

Sunday triple header at Adelaide Oval

Same formula for NSW, Swans and Giants open Thursday and Friday night games, 4 games on Saturday (two each at Blacktown and Accor), triple header at SCG on Sunday. But Accor probably should have at least two big drawing clubs because it’s a bigger stadium.

I know you’re being hypothetical, but fun fact.
Port Augusta’s Central oval is not deemed AFL standard due to a city council lacking brains and foresight. Built the newly renovated central oval the wrong orientation. This despite spending over $22 Million renovating it. to be held in this region it would need to be in port Pirie or Whyalla.

Fox reporting 2023 in SA.

it is all about tourism so no games @ SANFL venues. Melb times below.
Fri @ AO 5.45pm North v Saints 8.40pm Port v Swans
Sat @ Nuriootpa Centennial Park 12pm WC v GC 3pm Freo v Bris
Sat @ AO 5pm Rich v Blues 8pm Pies v Cats
Sun @ AO 12.20pm Hawks v Bombers 3.20pm Dogs v Dees 6.15pm Crows v GWS

in Sydney 2024, the Sydney teams play the SA teams again to even out any home ground advantage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back