Gather Round for SA - 2024, 2025, and 2026 Announced

Remove this Banner Ad

Article suggesting it should not be played in Adelaide going forward…

I'd be happy for it not be played on Adelaide Oval.

SANFL or country grounds please.

Article suggesting it should not be played in Adelaide going forward…
It's not wrong is it? The reality is that the crowd average was the lowest for a round in decades, and it's fair to assume there were more multiple attendees than usual, so the number of people that attended at least one game was much much less than normal. Given you're preaching to the converted in Adelaide, what's the point of it all? You're not expanding the game and less people are attending.

And on what measure was it a raging success?

Having it locked into 3 years at the same spot the benefits are it can be used and marketed to international visitors through package deal experiences, food, wine and sport packages or the like in a pretty stable climate during Autumn when the region looks its best and not far away from other international events in Australia, grand prix, comedy and arts festivals etc.

Other than that......😕

That's interesting as well

Obviously the tough sell is the complete draw reset in the last 6 weeks.
Numerous way to do it.
You could have the top 12 teams play each other for a place in the 8, with the final round bye, and the other seven having a bye each over those seven weeks.

That’s t would be like a pre finals series - six feature games each week. TV would love it.

Numerous way to do it.
You could have the top 12 teams play each other for a place in the 8, with the final round bye, and the other seven having a bye each over those seven weeks.

That’s t would be like a pre finals series - six feature games each week. TV would love it.

You could have some variation on the 17-5 model that was considered a few years back...except it would be at least 18-5 (and the bottom 7 only play 5 games each)

You would lose the return derby / showdown though and the Gather round would presumably need to soak up one of the first 19 rounds

You could have some variation on the 17-5 model that was considered a few years back...except it would be at least 18-5 (and the bottom 7 only play 5 games each)

You would lose the return derby / showdown though and the Gather round would presumably need to soak up one of the first 19 rounds
With an odd number of teams you need to play an even number of games. So it would be 18-4 or 18-6. The 17-5 model did not work with 18 teams as some teams would get 12 home games on some 10. The 19th team fixes that.

With an odd number of teams you need to play an even number of games. So it would be 18-4 or 18-6. The 17-5 model did not work with 18 teams as some teams would get 12 home games on some 10. The 19th team fixes that.

You could play 18 - 5 for the top 12 teams though (or 20-5)

i.e split the league into 3 divisions after 18/20 rounds

Top 6 and middle 6 play 5 game round-robin

Bottom 7 could play a 4 game incomplete round robin over 5 rounds

In addition to the nine games of football played in SA during Gather Round, two of which were played at Norwood Football Club, SANFL with the support of the AFL, also delivered:

• 16 free clinics with AFL and SANFL players reaching over 3000 kids
  • Gather Round Giveaway competition with 6000 entries from registered football participants in the to win over 20 ‘money can’t buy’ match day experiences and prizes
  • 16 AFL Captain’s Runs and player appearances
  • The Gather Round Community Footy Roadshow – 21 days, 2,500km, 52 schools, 12 regional clubs, five community venues, 1600 footballs donated to clubs and 5000 fans reached right across the State.
  • National Pharmacies SANFL Juniors season launch, attracting more than 2000 juniors/kids to the Festival of Footy live site in Elder Park with
  • Eight Torrens University SANFL U16s and U18s matches played in front of national recruiters, showcasing SA elite boys’ talent
  • Coach development workshops at SANFL venues connecting 400 community coaches with AFL head coaches.
  • 50 Local Governments hosted at the inaugural Festival of Facilities forum and tour of The Summit, Mt Barker
  • Community Club Development Day attended by almost 200 club and league volunteers, as well as live streamed across the nation
  • Half-time Auskick experiences for approximately 800 boys and girls
  • Umpire workshops and match day experiences connecting 500 community and junior umpires with elite AFL umpires
  • 500 AFL Gather Round branded kits to schools in metropolitan Adelaide
  • Creation of a new Ultimate Football Membership space at the David Hookes Bar in the Western Stand of Adelaide Oval for local and interstate attendees to enjoy.

You'll need to clarify what you mean by 1-18 2-19 etc

Whatever the round 1 fixture is, the away team becomes the home team in round 18.
The home team in round 2, away team in round 19.

Just like it was before 2007.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

61094a6810b756bc3753ab5def9468ca.jpg

Apparently the local government is charging too much on fees to the local community club, so they have moved elsewhere.

Apparently the local government is charging too much on fees to the local community club, so they have moved elsewhere.

No surprise on a number of fronts there.

upgrades for AFL -> better facilities -> higher costs to maintain -> higher fees.

I'm sure that at every stage it made sense to those doing it, but meant that the end result was kinda inevitable.

The AFL could have two Gather Round fixtures in different cities each year one early in the season and one late in the season if they wanted to.
I hope that's the way they go.

61094a6810b756bc3753ab5def9468ca.jpg

I'm pretty sure I read it was up for hire for anyone

Sturt applied to use it on Tuesdays really early, and by the time Mt Barker got around to applying to rent it for Tuesday training sessions. It was already booked.

I'm pretty sure I read it was up for hire for anyone

Sturt applied to use it on Tuesdays really early, and by the time Mt Barker got around to applying to rent it for Tuesday training sessions. It was already booked.
Ive been reading a bit about it, and it seems it's a deliberate plan to not have a permanent tenant, which is bizarre. It's not the MCG, it's a ******* country footy oval, for there to not be a home club based there is not going to end well. You might end up getting junior teams playing or training there, but normally councils rent those grounds out for virtually nothing to junior sport. This ground seems to have a high premium attached, putting it out of reach for most junior teams.

Putting this here because the info. relates to an accommodation booking in Glenelg for Gather round next year.

Booked a place called Vintage Chato, 2 Canning Street, Glenelg North (corner of Laycock Lane) via Booking.com on 19/6. Photos of venue looked fine - more of a B&B than motel. We stayed in Glenelg earlier this year and it was great.

Perfectly legitimate email etc. from Booking.com confirming booking from 3/4 to 8/4.

Thought it was a bit unusual when I requested a late check-in (8 hour drive) and it took 3 weeks for the approval that comes through Booking.com. I know as an accommodation provider that Booking.com badger you to respond to guest requests ASAP. It eventually did get approved, so someone is obviously monitoring the site.

As I had booked a second motel in Glenelg (due to friends staying there), I had to either pass off one to someone else, or cancel it. A mate in Sydney was keen to take on the booking, so I thought I would double check things.

You can't find this venue on Booking.com or other similiar sites. You will find it on B&B sites, but they say it is not available anymore.

Google map sequential photos show it was there in May 2021, but not in October 2021. It has been demolished and is now a construction site. The developer signs indicate 2 and 3 bedroom units are still for sale.

Real Estate.com indicates the property was sold for $1.8 mil. in July 2021.

Given that the place has not existed for 2 years, I find it improbable that I am the only one affected.

I contacted Booking.com who are borderline useless. They rang the contact number - no answer (which I knew from my own efforts). They emailed the property and said if they hadn't received a reply in 24 hours they would cancel the booking. That was 10 days ago and nothing has changed - except I received an emailed request to enter my booking.com password to access the booking. The verification link expired after 10 minutes if not used. This is highly likely to have been an attempt to access my booking to click the "pay now" option, thus releasing my credit card info. to the "venue".

I can obviously cancel the booking, but thought I would let others know in case they are affected. Any suggestions on any other course of action here?

Further to the previous post, I contacted Glenelg police station (diverted to Port Adelaide station) yesterday.

Had a good chat to an officer for about 15 minutes. Understandably, he said an issue like this was overwhelming for police. He said he has heard of similiar situations of late, particularly around the Glenelg area, but not specifically Canning St.

He advised me to contact Scamwatch.gov.au and I have lodged a report with them.

I cancelled with Booking.com after the system initially wouldn't allow me to, which rang huge alarm bells for a few minutes. They explained that I couldn't cancel because of an outstanding complaint, which was mine from 10 days earlier. They have "escalated" the issue from their end, whatever that means. I would hope after some investigation they would at least contact all existing bookings for that property. I would hate to think of a family arriving for Gather Round, in the dark, hunting desperately for a non-existent venue, in a town that is fully booked, with a credit card that has been compromised.

I have no idea whether this an Adelaide-centric issue, or whether it is focused on the busy Gather round. You would think scams like this would have to be "hit and run" rather than spread over a lengthy period of time.

99% of accommodation is obviously legitimate. I would be suspicious if you cannot contact a venue by phone and if they do not respond promptly to emails. Booking directly with the property removes the "shield" of the booking intermediaries like Booking.com.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back