Official Club Stuff 2024 Club Membership Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
It feels like putting Easter eggs into supermarkets on the 30th December, but clubs are rolling over membership packages and selling 2024 packages now.

So here we go The_Wookie !

Essendon - 36,706 at 19th October!

A few things I predict:

Collingwood to hit between 110-115K
Carlton to hit 100K
Richmond to potentially fall below 100K

Who’d have thought Carlton would go past Richmond on the back of no Premiership so soon? AFLW memberships and industry wide discounted packages could see it happen along with organic growth.

I reckon the Suns / Giants will both record strong growth.

Hawks, Bombers, Cats, Demons, Saints to all tread water.

First time Port have released a pre Christmas figure since 2019 I reckon. Posted on their website on 8th December;

MEM24_AFL-MembershipCounter_071223.jpg

A few things I predict:

Collingwood to hit between 110-115K
Carlton to hit 100K
Richmond to potentially fall below 100K

Who’d have thought Carlton would go past Richmond on the back of no Premiership so soon? AFLW memberships and industry wide discounted packages could see it happen along with organic growth.

I reckon the Suns / Giants will both record strong growth.

Hawks, Bombers, Cats, Demons, Saints to all tread water.

That won't happen, Dave. We'll still get over 100K. We've done it 6 years straight including 2021 and 2023 not making finals.
On the blues, I'd say more no than yes but with membership numbers these days not needing a min $50 spend and no longer required to send out a membership pack anything is possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That won't happen, Dave. We'll still get over 100K. We've done it 6 years straight including 2021 and 2023 not making finals.
On the blues, I'd say more no than yes but with membership numbers these days not needing a min $50 spend and no longer required to send out a membership pack anything is possible.
It will be close. Richmond’s figure is propped up (I mean than respectfully) by 3 Premierships. Just as Hawthorn's figure of 81,000 is still to this day propped up to a degree by its three-peat all those years ago. The fans stick around long after the flags. As they say, much easier to retain members than to gain them (if club is well run).

All Clubs set new league watermarks as each era evolves. The introduction of 3 gamers 20 years ago pushed boats higher. Then digital memberships. Then GA memberships with 4 games. Then clubs started selling 1 game packages about 3 years ago. A record 20,10 and even 5 years ago isn’t relative or comparable. Just as Carlton possibly hitting 100K in 2024 can’t be compared to Richmond when they did it off Premiership success 6 years ago.

Fact is, in two years, Essendon expect to be playing 6-7 home games at the MCG with a new contract (that’s my strong intel). If (!!) it wins a flag it will likely push towards 120,000 over a 3-4 year successful window. Does that mean it’s miles ahead of what Richmond were at its peak? No. It just proves how over time clubs sell better, rules change to favour sales, clubs get creative etc.

It will be close. Richmond’s figure is propped up (I mean than respectfully) by 3 Premierships. Just as Hawthorn's figure of 81,000 is still to this day propped up to a degree by its three-peat all those years ago. The fans stick around long after the flags. As they say, much easier to retain members than to gain them (if club is well run).

All Clubs set new league watermarks as each era evolves. The introduction of 3 gamers 20 years ago pushed boats higher. Then digital memberships. Then GA memberships with 4 games. Then clubs started selling 1 game packages about 3 years ago. A record 20,10 and even 5 years ago isn’t relative or comparable. Just as Carlton possibly hitting 100K in 2024 can’t be compared to Richmond when they did it off Premiership success 6 years ago.

Fact is, in two years, Essendon expect to be playing 6-7 home games at the MCG with a new contract (that’s my strong intel). If (!!) it wins a flag it will likely push towards 120,000 over a 3-4 year successful window. Does that mean it’s miles ahead of what Richmond were at its peak? No. It just proves how over time clubs sell better, rules change to favour sales, clubs get creative etc.

Fair call mate. After 2019 we had 103,358 members and we were confident of hitting 110K+ but then covid hit in early 2020 and that sent many back, clubs stagnated on membership numbers. Slowly over the following years, things have gone back to normal.

You're right memberships nowadays aren't like they were 6 or 7+ years ago. At least back then there was a min $50 spend and clubs had to send out a membership pack to an actual address. AFL removed this criteria which just tells me they aren't as strict as they once were with audits on clubs membership numbers and now only care about the combined number from all clubs to say hey look at us to prospective sponsors, advertisers etc

Update.

Carlton = 77,076
Richmond = 76,849 (as of Dec 21)
Essendon = 57,586
Hawthorn = 50,000 (announced on Nov 30)
Port Adelaide = 49,453
Geelong = 45,787
Fremantle = 42,218
St Kilda = 39,660
Western Bulldogs = 36,103
North Melbourne = 33,517 (as of Dec 21)
How do those figures compare with this time last year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back