Play Nice 2024 AFL TV Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Internal trials starting this weekend.

Will be keeping the ratings thread separate to the attendance thread this year.

Notes

Oztam have now moved completely to VOZ. At present this means no Fox or Kayo streams seem to be appearing on the oztam lists. Reach is now the focus of the Oztam reporting although an average for Linear is still being reported.

* NOTE: NEW METRICS AND REPORTS *

• Total TV Overnight Top 30 and Consolidated 7 Top 30 reach is calculated using cumulative unique audiences watching 1 min of broadcast TV and 15 sec of BVOD.
  • Total TV National audience is calculated using the audience average for the program as time-coded by the Network across 5CM and all regional markets nationally watching on broadcast TV.
  • BVOD national audience is calculated using the total number of minutes watched (multiplied by co-viewing factor) divided by the length of the program.

Will attempt to get as much data as possible, but Oztam not making it easy any more.

Last edited:
If you ever wondered why News Corp's Rupert Murdoch said "we've always preferred Aussie rules and we've always believed this is the premium code in Australia"...

If you ever wondered why News Corp's Rupert Murdoch said "we've always preferred Aussie rules and we've always believed this is the premium code in Australia"...

Well to get customers to foxtel, he otherwise shits on the game in the northern states and via his national media arm. Well, Lachlan more than Rupert now.

Last edited:
I think you will find that old Rupe was just sticking the knife into the NRL for not playing to his tune and also stating the obvious that the NRL is a long way behind the AFL on all KPIs and any metrics you want to use apart from total TV depending what method is used to collect the data ratings the NRL maybe slightly ahead inc the SOO matches.

I think his son Lachlan is a much different kettle of fish being a NRL fan but who knows what the sports TV/Streaming media will look like when the current AFL deal with Seven and Fox finishes in 2031 and with a chance the Rupe won't be around in 6 years time Lachlan might even with his siblings consent sell the business.

The AFL is way ahead even with the quality of its sponsor's starting of the major sponsor's of the AFL and there is a big difference in the size and world wide standing of the AFLs main sponsor's compared to the NRL - the AFL has billion dollar Multinational giants like Premier Partner Toyota, Mc Donald's, German Continental Tyres AG and Swiss Kennedy/Rolex watches.

The AFL has 9 more "Major Partners all Australian companies and has a further 23 "Official Partners" for an overall total of 34 sponsor's.

The NRL has Telstra as Premier Partner and has three international brands KFC,KIA and Hisense as major sponsors and 9 other Australian companies as major partners almost all the same ones the AFL has and has only 10 "Official Partners" for a overall total of 23 sponsor's.

Last edited:

To be fair that was said when he was p1ssed off with the NRL for unilaterally signing a deal with channel 9 at the time.

The AFL will be getting approaching double the news ltd revenues when the new deal kicks in next year and the AFL clearly isn't worth that much more. I suspect the murdochs have an affection for rugby league given it makes a healthy margin of the NRL in a way it probably doesn't with the AFL

It's really exposed just how big the gap really is. This information hasn't been a secret for the industry itself, which is why the AFL gets significantly higher dollars from TV. It's not some conspiracy, it's that the AFL gets a lot more people watching.
Could also explain why PVL is so actively seeking gambling money overseas. He knows that there is only so much they can get out of local spend through tv deals.

The reach of the post match was only 525K, which is lower than the average and was beaten by the NRL post-match for comparison, with the NRL having a closer match. It also finished earlier. In saying that, there is only a 2K difference between both post-match averages.
I’m absolutely militant these days. When the final siren goes, the TV is off.
Maybe unfair, but to me the post-match is mostly about some unfunny bozo walking around the changerooms spouting rubbish.
Life is too short.
Perhaps others think the same.

I’m absolutely militant these days. When the final siren goes, the TV is off.
Maybe unfair, but to me the post-match is mostly about some unfunny bozo walking around the changerooms spouting rubbish.
Life is too short.
Perhaps others think the same.
with you 100% ..... id rather violate my aural senses listening to kylie minogue than watch conservative-apologist ex-footballers rabbit on with incomprehensible in-jokes and inane banter

[edit] that said, the blithering buffoon who does the post-game walk through isnt the worst offender (bad as he is) ...... luke darcy is the one that really grinds my teeth :mad:

Last edited:
Fox BVOD Live Ratings
ChannelMatchAudienceMinutes Reach
Fox LeagueLIVE: NRL: STORM V WARRIORS291,00033,729,000488,000
Fox LeagueLIVE: NRL: PANTHERS V EELS251,00027,586,000397,000
Fox LeagueLIVE: NRL: BRONCOS V RABBITOHS238,00025,963,000375,000
FOX FOOTYLIVE: AFL: CARLTON V RICHMOND230,00037,524,000438,000
FOX FOOTYLIVE: AFL: ESSENDON V HAWTHORN229,00036,151,000483,000
Fox LeagueLIVE: NRL: SHARKS V BULLDOGS223,00024,767,000408,000
FOX FOOTYLIVE: AFL: COLLINGWOOD V SYDNEY221,00034,246,000424,000
Fox LeagueLIVE: NRL: RAIDERS V WESTS TIGERS197,00021,526,000356,000
Fox LeagueLIVE: NRL: DOLPHINS V COWBOYS193,00022,202,000335,000
FOX FOOTYLIVE: AFL: GWS V NORTH MELBOURNE192,00030,785,000429,000
FOX FOOTYLIVE: AFL: GEELONG V ST KILDA173,00027,260,000409,000

Friday VOZSevens #AFL
Friday Night FootballReach: 1.748m (#1)
Average: 574,000 (#4)

Nines #NRL
Friday Night NRL Live
Reach: 1.293m (#4)
Average: 526,000 (#7)Data: VOZ

This wasa the lowest Reach and Average for Friday Night AFL this season. The average reach audience on Seven for Friday night AFL is 1.947m, while the average audience on Seven is 623,000.

Friday night AFL Reach/Average
22.04 – 1.748m/574,000
15.04 – 2.1m/658,0000
8.04 – 1.993m/638,000

This was the lowest Reach and Average for Friday Night NRL this season. The average reach audience on Nine for Friday night NRL is 1.367m, while the average audiece is 553,000.

Friday Night NRL Reach/Average
22.04 – 1.293,/526,000
15.04 – 1.384m/557,0000
8.04 – 1.426m/576,000

This wasa the lowest Reach and Average for Friday Night AFL this season. The average reach audience on Seven for Friday night AFL is 1.947m, while the average audience on Seven is 623,000.

This was the lowest Reach and Average for Friday Night NRL this season. The average reach audience on Nine for Friday night NRL is 1.367m, while the average audiece is 553,000.
It's probably fair to say that the Socceroos playing took a few viewers away from both codes.

It's probably fair to say that the Socceroos playing took a few viewers away from both codes.

That was the night before

Sevens AFL: Thursday Night Football
Seven Network
Reach 1.827m (#2 for the day)
Average Audience 671,000 (#4)

Thursday Night NRL
Nine Network
Reach 1.528m
Average Audience 617,000

Football: Socceroos v Lebanon
Ten Network
Reach: 552,000
Average Audience: 224,000

Parmount, Foxtel and Kayo data unavailable. All data from VOZ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sevens FTA #AFL Average Ratings are down -4% on Thursday nights, but breaking even on friday nights compared to Round 1 -3 last year. These key fixtures are down -2% in total.

Nines FTA #NRL average ratings are down 1% on Thursday and down -1% on Friday nights compared to Round 1-3 last year. These key fixtures are down 1% in total.

The NRL has narrowed the gap from a total of 43,000 to 26,000 viewers on FTA. Not really a material difference in the great scheme of things.

Head to Head, The NRL is rating 7% higher than the AFL on Thursday nights, but the AFL is outrating the NRL by 11% on Friday nights in 2024 - giving the AFL a slender lead of 2% on aggregated FTA ratings.

Seven AFL Thursday Ave 620,000
Nine NRL Thursday Ave 664,000
Seven AFL Friday Ave 660,000
Nine NRL Friday Ave 590,000

Sevens FTA #AFL Average Ratings are down -4% on Thursday nights, but breaking even on friday nights compared to Round 1 -3 last year. These key fixtures are down -2% in total.

Nines FTA #NRL average ratings are down 1% on Thursday and down -1% on Friday nights compared to Round 1-3 last year. These key fixtures are down 1% in total.

The NRL has narrowed the gap from a total of 43,000 to 26,000 viewers on FTA. Not really a material difference in the great scheme of things.

Head to Head, The NRL is rating 7% higher than the AFL on Thursday nights, but the AFL is outrating the NRL by 11% on Friday nights in 2024 - giving the AFL a slender lead of 2% on aggregated FTA ratings.

In a thread titled "2024 AFL TV ratings" why are you constantly comparing AFL and NRL?

Because he likes to mislead the public to have them think that the nrl ratings are better than the afl's, by eliminating the most important metric of actual viewers, being reach. An nrl sycophant.
Settle down. I can kinda understand why he'd want to maintain some level of consistency between years. If he concedes now that averages alone are not really reflective of audience then he hugely devalues his own analysis of roughly a decade of ratings.

In saying all of that, the jig is up.

Settle down. I can kinda understand why he'd want to maintain some level of consistency between years. If he concedes now that averages alone are not really reflective of audience then he hugely devalues his own analysis of roughly a decade of ratings.

We can only conduct analysis on the data we have at the time. In time and for some specific events - like Grand Finals and Origin - we can compare Reach data - and that will be done where such data is available.

its not just that though. Its also that the new VOZ and Reach isnt a certified standard - thats still months away. Fox data when its availabile - is still coming out as averages, not reach. 5 city data when available is still average, not reach. Streaming has both - because it always had these functions.

Almost no one outside of Bigfooty, Oztam and its owner networks believes the reach metric means anything. Fox for instance believes its ratings are under reported by up to 40% and is going its own way with its own measurement service (Kantar).

That averages arent everything has been known for decades. this isnt revelatory. Ive repeatedly said over the years that averages impact AFL ratings because of match length. I am not convinced that Reach - viewers who watch for at least a minute - is the answer personally, nor do i think that Reach is an accurate measure of actual engagement.

Now there is a thread for the Reach believers to post in where they can slag me off all they like for this, I dont particularly care - I have a duty to more than the true believers on this forum.

I completely get producing data in the exact same way as the previous decade for comparisons sake, i think that should continue. What I don't get is why at the tail end of the data, you can't add in the new industry metric of ranking, so that people aren't mislead by not having the whole picture, particularly when comparing the ratings of two specific programs against each other.

Wookie even said the averages metric isn't perfect and disadvantages the AFL, so why not give the reader the full picture by adding about 10 words at the end. Example:

Total viewers reached 2024 NRL Season: 20.4 million
Total viewers reached 2024 AFL Season: 20.4 million

Wookie even said the averages metric isn't perfect and disadvantages the AFL, so why not give the reader the full picture by adding about 10 words at the end. Example:

Reach wasnt the subject of the tweet at the time. Its also clear from the cited tweet that im talking about average ratings.

You mean like I did in the earlier ratings post?

Friday VOZSevens #AFL
Friday Night FootballReach: 1.748m (#1)
Average: 574,000 (#4)

Nines #NRL
Friday Night NRL Live
Reach: 1.293m (#4)
Average: 526,000 (#7)Data: VOZ

Friday night AFL Reach/Average
22.04 – 1.748m/574,000
15.04 – 2.1m/658,0000
8.04 – 1.993m/638,000

Friday Night NRL Reach/Average
22.04 – 1.293,/526,000
15.04 – 1.384m/557,0000
8.04 – 1.426m/576,000

Total viewers reached 2024 NRL Season: 20.4 million
Total viewers reached 2024 AFL Season: 20.4 million

Thats not really how Reach works. Im not even sure I can aggregate it by its definition.

See Round 1 Reach Figures

Swans/Dees 2.3 million
Lions/Blues 1.99m
Suns/Tigers
Giants/Pies 1.71m

The total of that Round would be 5.99m, plus whatever it reached in Queensland - and oh yeah get used to THAT reach data not being available since Seven dont acknowledge Fox produced games they show.

However according to Seven, The 2024 AFL Premiership Season opening round on the Seven Network was a hit with footyfans, reaching 4.2 million people across Channel 7 and 7mate. This is because Reach is still based on unique viewers per minite over the whole weekend.

In a thread titled "2024 AFL TV ratings" why are you constantly comparing AFL and NRL?

Because ultimately somebody, will compare it with the NRL. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Reach wasnt the subject of the tweet at the time. Its also clear from the cited tweet that im talking about average ratings.

Yes but you don't do a comparison table on reach, only the NRL advantageous average ratings.

You mean like I did in the earlier ratings post?
Yes for AFL ratings only, not in your comparisons table which most people would use to see who's winning the ratings war.

Thats not really how Reach works. Im not even sure I can aggregate it by its definition.

Swans/Dees 2.3 million
Lions/Blues 1.99m
Suns/Tigers
Giants/Pies 1.71m

The total of that Round would be 5.99m, plus whatever it reached in Queensland - and oh yeah get used to THAT reach data not being available since Seven dont acknowledge Fox produced games they show.

However according to Seven, The 2024 AFL Premiership Season opening round on the Seven Network was a hit with footyfans, reaching 4.2 million people across Channel 7 and 7mate. This is because Reach is still based on unique viewers per minite over the whole weekend.

So are you saying 7 don't provide average ratings in QLD either for fox games broadcasts on 7 there? If that's the case, how do you produce accurate average figures, it's the same problem isn't it? If it can be done for averages without that data, why couldn't it be done for reach too?

By all means put this in the "Reach is King thread". I've no idea how to quote from one thread and post in another.

Swans/Dees 2.3 million
Lions/Blues 1.99m
Suns/Tigers
Giants/Pies 1.71m

You can't aggregate average number of viewers per minute either, yet.... The only ratings measure of individual programs that lends itself to aggregation across a round or season is total minutes watched.

The 4.2 million figure for Round 0 has largely gone unnoticed around here, but really highlights the benefit/potential of reach as a measure of the total number of people watching a given sport. A meaningful comparison of AFL and NRL viewership would be a week by week breakdown of the number of people who tuned in to part of the FTA broadcasts of a given round. Similarly, you could do it across an entire season: the number of people who watched more than X hours of football, or more than (say) 30 minutes of X number of games, or similar. It's a shame the data to do run this type of analysis isn't readily available.

Anyway, the point is: reach is valuable because it measures the exact thing that we we (and presumably advertisers) are interested in: how many unique individuals (i.e. actual people) are watching a given program or sport. :crown:

Yes but you don't do a comparison table on reach, only the NRL advantageous average ratings.

I havent done a comparison table AT ALL.

Yes for AFL ratings only, not in your comparisons table which most people would use to see who's winning the ratings war.

Its also still most peoples definition of relevant ratings. Again, this forum is literally the only place anyone is having an issue with that.

So are you saying 7 don't provide average ratings in QLD either for fox games broadcasts on 7 there?

I never said they didnt provide average data. I said they are ONLY providing average data for city by city.

If that's the case, how do you produce accurate average figures, it's the same problem isn't it? If it can be done for averages without that data, why couldn't it be done for reach too?

Its not the case. And even if it was, we have nothing to compare the reach too...whereas I can draw on 15 years of ratings data.

By all means put this in the "Reach is King thread". I've no idea how to quote from one thread and post in another.

You can't aggregate average number of viewers per minute either, yet.... The only ratings measure of individual programs that lends itself to aggregation across a round or season is total minutes watched.

Thats quite at odds with a large number of bodies that have aggregated average ratings over the years. Including Networks and sporting bodies.

The 4.2 million figure for Round 0 has largely gone unnoticed around here, but really highlights the benefit/potential of reach as a measure of the total number of people watching a given sport. A meaningful comparison of AFL and NRL viewership would be a week by week breakdown of the number of people who tuned in to part of the FTA broadcasts of a given round. Similarly, you could do it across an entire season: the number of people who watched more than X hours of football, or more than (say) 30 minutes of X number of games, or similar. It's a shame the data to do run this type of analysis isn't readily available.

There will almost certainly be reach data for the season. Its just a pity its not more regularly released.

Im not opposed to using Reach data. Its just that half the data that comes in doesnt have it, we arent getting it consistently across platforms and markets...and yes, we cant use it to draw any comparison to almost the entire past.

5 matches a week are Fox produced, we are looking at no reach data for any of that. Not a lot of Fox data either.

Anyway, the point is: reach is valuable because it measures the exact thing that we we (and presumably advertisers) are interested in: how many unique individuals (i.e. actual people) are watching a given program or sport. :crown:

Theres not even agreement from agents and advertisers that reach is what they want given its limited timespan. Reach is valuable to the Networks because they push greater numbers to advertisers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back