Review Round 20 = Collingwood 76-93 Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

To be honest I think it will be a real issue if McCrae thinks the same as some here: “it’s just one game” “curnow got frees” “we are on top of the ladder” “let’s not overreact”

None of those things are actually the main reason we lost or why we have been outplayed for significant periods of time in most games this year
first response in the presser was that Carlton were better and Pies were not allowed to play their style. McCrae didn’t say that everything was fine because Collingwood are on top of the ladder

We still finish the round, only one game clear on top, and not two. With Hawthorn to come, we should maintain that break, and l think we should be going into our remaining games,knowing that we should win them all...

I thought he was having a stinker defensively so they threw him forward to cause his damage further away from goals.

Commentators were gushing in praise though.

Happy he had some impact up forward though. Would been nice if he’d held that mark in the square after his second goal.

But then again, we didn’t deserve to win

Since returning from injury, Howe has looked lost in defence. So much so that I would not hesitate to replace him with Frampton. And up forward, AJ is far more proven in a similar 3rd forward role, despite Howe’s great cameo tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Winning can mask over some issues for sure.

What I am starting to see is that teams are changing the way they play for 1 week just to combat the way we play and we are still just trying to playing our way in spite of it.

As each week goes by you can see the opposition getting better and better at stopping our style. Losses to the Dees, Blues and almost Port is too many games recently where the opposition looked tougher around the ball and were able to clog up the midfield and intercept our handball chains frequently.

Yep

Been noticing the same thing

Teams are completely changing how they play JUST to combat us and we stubbornly just continue playing "our way" even if it's showing to not be overly effective.

Like, we keep hearing Fly say "Teams try to take things away from us". Any reason we don't go out of our way to take things away from them?

It’s funny Carlton supporters gloating there win and all they played well as deserved it but if st kilda and Geelong win they are 9th again
Nah it’s a great win and they should be full of excitement.
We would be the same if we beat tigers/hawks in their prime.

I think we take far more away from this than they do:
But a win is a win and they should be stoked!

Can we seriously start having Naicos kick the ball in from a behind again. I’m not sure on the percentages, but it would be fairly high of us getting into our forward 50 when he does.
I know for sure that no other combination taking the kick ins gets anywhere near that
its a no brainer, the Moore long kick to the flank ain’t working, and it’s pissing me off because it’s obvious and it’s an easy fix

Imo we have been using him too inside the contest to give release handballs, when he should be the one running past and finishing.

Even in our link run chains he is rarely at the end of the chain the last 4 or so weeks and it's notable.

Last edited:
Absolutely outworked and they were tougher too. I think we need Nick back to move the footy better.

There were a lot of players that didn't play well, hopefully it's a blessing, because premierships aren't given to the team who has won 16 of 18 games.

Very disappointed that the pressure they put on us was significantly better than what we put on them.

Darcy Moore was horrendous tonight, as good as he has been all season. It wasn't just curnow. His kicking was shocking from the start.

Having said all this, the side has earned some credits. That was the first MCG loss in over a year by more than a goal.
Any time we play a team with a half decent key forward Moore seems to give up at least 3-4.

Frampton has to come in for those games as Moore is ineffective if he can’t get a run and jump (or if he actually has to note where on the field his direct opponent is).

As others have said, Cox out, Frampton in, Howe forward. I’ll also agree Nick needs to move back to Hb to help transition, noble and Q have been poor last 2 weeks after initially doing a great job in Nicks absence.

Jesus - Curnow was a beacon for free kicks tonight..I bet 17 other teams out there would love a ride like that for their key forwards!!
A defender cannot compete in a marking contest with Curnow, because he's untouchable. The umps give this bloke a free at nearly every contest, and the tosser lays on the ground with arms up pleading for a free, and usually gets it....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really just want the team to start playing more consistently in Q1,2 & 3 and start taking leads into the last. We really do need to shift how we approach the game.
Yeah I don't think this is a deliberate ploy.

I'm pretty certain the mc, team and fitness staff are deliberately managing our in game 'efforts', or 'when to go and when to tempo'.

Our ideal game would be extremely taxing, and probably impossible to execute game long, let alone week in and week out.

I guess, if anything that is our achilles heel.

We've shown we only need a qtr of our best to get the result, ok finals will be different but it shows we have gears to go up. No point going top gear with our game style given the inherent risks of doing that >now<.

Let's leave that for finals.

My only 'gripe' with tonight was the lack of conversion, listening to SEN, it felt the 'belief' was still there, even 4 down with about 6 mins to go.......... felt like the group had belief they could pull it off.

Yeah sure apart from conversion, we got done in clearances, marks i50, contested marks, tackles, tackles i50 and cp.

I'm lookin at this as a blip on the radar, purely because of what looks like the mental strength of the playing group. The possibility of 'self-doubt' creeping into this group is so far from likely it's not funny.

Have faith Monco.

Yep

Been noticing the same thing

Teams are completely changing how they play JUST to combat us and we stubbornly just continue playing "our way" even if it's showing to not be overly effective.

Like, we keep hearing Fly say "Teams try to take things away from us". Any reason we don't go out of our way to take things away from them?
Relax. We’re cruising.

We haven’t gone full tilt in a long time.
Even GC and Freo were average games.

I wonder how we go when it’s on the line?

Having said that….
Some observations…
Adams going at god knows what in the first half (had to be less than 20%)
More scoring shots (how many were right side and we missed?)
4+ directly from frees (50/50 calls that all went one way…..are they calling those in finals?)

We looks a better team:.::we just had a rubbish night in both F50 and D50…:which is rare.

So the AFL website has Darcy Moore as our best player on the night. Thought it was one of the worse games I have seen him play.

Last edited:
We need to be nasty and totally dismantle the Hawks to get me back on board, yes it’s all about me 😂 No seriously we need to show that we are more than a one dimensional team. Keep their score low, win clearances and smash them on the scoreboard.

Yeah I don't think this is a deliberate ploy.

I'm pretty certain the mc, team and fitness staff are deliberately managing our in game 'efforts', or 'when to go and when to tempo'.

Our ideal game would be extremely taxing, and probably impossible to execute game long, let alone week in and week out.

I guess, if anything that is our achilles heel.

We've shown we only need a qtr of our best to get the result, ok finals will be different but it shows we have gears to go up. No point going top gear with our game style given the inherent risks of doing that >now<.

Let's leave that for finals.

My only 'gripe' with tonight was the lack of conversion, listening to SEN, it felt the 'belief' was still there, even 4 down with about 6 mins to go.......... felt like the group had belief they could pull it off.

Yeah sure apart from conversion, we got done in clearances, marks i50, contested marks, tackles, tackles i50 and cp.

I'm lookin at this as a blip on the radar, purely because of what looks like the mental strength of the playing group. The possibility of 'self-doubt' creeping into this group is so far from likely it's not funny.

Have faith Monco.
Faith is all we have! I want to be convinced.

Going into the last I was really hoping we would lose this one, it's really needed.

We haven't played four quarters all year (maybe Port first time) and its good we didn't get away with it. It should be noted that it's hard to be the hunted every week and get up for every game. So we have to give them that. I think we were something like 51 to 81 down in ground ball gets at one stage? That's workrate and effort.

Positive is we should come out breathing fire against the Hawks next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back