Autopsy Round 6, 2024: St Kilda v Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Disgusting - what a lethargic pathetic performance, there is no other way to describe it. Tonight we took 3 steps backwards and gave every team in the competition confidence they will own us.

The previous losses have just been papering over the cracks. List wise we are a long way from being a serious football team.

I am confident RTB is the coach to lead us forward, but he needs to address the 'elephant in the room' INJURIES and PLAYER AVAILABILITY.

Again tonight we had another player go down with a hamstring injury. The club Bassatt, Misson & RTB can no longer ignore it surely.

The Sandringham alignment is completely sub par as is the bottom half of our list. We have a lot of promising kids, but nothing else.

I feel good after that game because I switched off 1/2 way through the 1st quarter and watched the Storm game.
Watch us come out and beat Port next week. It's the Stkilda thing to do. Just when you've lost all hope they'll suck you back in :fearscream:
Nah well put I’m a solid effort to suck everyone back in then lose to norf the following week

6 weeks in and we've played 1 good game. Time to mix it up

Out: Butler, Pou, Bonner, Jones, Cordy
In: King, Collard, Hastie, Schönmaker, Howard

B: Wilkie, Howard, Stocker
HB: NWM, Battle, Sinclair
C: Hill, Steele, Wilson
HF: Higgins, Sharman, Garcia
F: Collard, King, Membrey

Foll: Marshall, Owens, Windhager
Int: Ross, Schönmaker, Hastie, Caminiti
Sub: Byrnes

Dead inside like our players.

There is nothing there. No leadership. No desperation. No heart. Nothing.

Pity it’s so early in the season otherwise we’d be at merciful release stage.

Think I’ll take a few weeks off anyway.

The first time since probably the 95 or so final v Geelong at Waverley I did not watch it to the end. Purtrid.

Trade everybody for somebody with a spine that can rally a team, because without that we are structures jellyfish floating beneath the surface in a sea of mediocracy.

(Hope we win next week 🤣)

I'd give Hugo Garcia the captaincy after witnessing that shit Steele lay down effort. Garcia was still pushing and scrapping away against older and bigger players. More heart than the rest put together.

That was so humiliating, I'd drop anyone we can replace with a kid. Jones is terrible. Hope he's done after that. There is no upside in playing him or guys like Bonner. Just wasting time. Put McLennan, Schooners, Hotton, Collard in.

Simply unacceptable.
Writing was on the wall after the Pres letter last night.
Almost getting us prepared that this year wasn't going to go the way we hoped.
Pouring cold water on getting too hyped for free agents.
Team selection was interesting, yeah we have injuries but we knew the Dogs would stretch us and we were coming off a 5 day break.

Warning signs since the Bombers game.
Extremely lucky to beat the Tigers and to be honest the 1 point margin flattered us last week. The Cogs injury halted GWS momentum. That doesn't occur and we end up at a loss 40+

Lots of questions. Both playing list and coaching. How we have gone backwards skill wise is amazing. It's as if the only thing we worked on during the preseason was speed.
Some skill work would have been awesome.

It's going to be years before we build the list up and the older guys will be gone by then and we'll be rebuilding again. The players we have don't really have a competitive streak.

We need to find some quality. The best players at the Saints are Wilkie, Marshall, Sincs and Steele with Nas going up behind them.

The rest are all poorly skilled or inconsistent. Owens and King might not be the stars we hoped and Pou looks pretty average right now.

Wilson and Garcia look promising though. The Dogs have a heap of stars and we are never going to find enough to compete.

At least bottoming out this year might get us a gun mid.
Don’t be silly it will be a half back flanker or a fat diabetic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goodbye season 2024.....I hardly knew ye

Everything Is Fine Goodbye GIF

Yeaah
Well
As usual
It was Sharman’s fault .. no Sharman. We win by 120 lol

Kidding of course

But yeah, I was surprised to see Steele not offer a second effort near the boundary. Something was up (or rather, down) with the team tonight.

I swear, no matter what cliches about buttons not being pressed etc., the media had an impact on the game tonight. And it wasn’t in our favour.

One thing people
Let’s be real about our finish last year.
We were extremely lucky to make the 8. We were in free fall by June and it was teams like the Bulldogs that kept us in.

I think the coaches have missed the mark this year. Both selections and use of players has been below what we should expect. All of sincs, Pou, Owens and Sharman have been used sporadically around the ground and it doesn’t take an expert to see that it is effecting their form and development. However they cannot be solely held responsible for tonight.

Garcia needs to be persisted with. Windy was good. Liked the look of stocker in the middle late but not sure how you can continue this without a small lockdown defender. Why name a small forward as sub when going into the game undersized? If Higgins can’t get his set shot right we need to find him a replacement through draft/trade. I think he could excel as a high half forward with a better tank, one of our best i50 kicks.

I would be happy to see Jones, Ross, Hill and Butler all moved on at seasons end.

Please stay on topic, which was the last time a Lyon team put in a more pathetic performance and lost by a bigger margin?
You said it was the worst performance by the club in 15 years. That's just over the top. I have no idea about a Lyon team or why you're even bringing that up but they must have had some bad losses before he got sacked at Freo.

Not sold on Ross but he polished a turd last year. Whilst we are missing 2023 Crouch and Sinclair, wood & Henry it still isn’t enough to take the next step. With respect to them we ain’t getting anywhere near top 4 when players like Byrnes, Sharman, Cordy, Butler, Jones, Bonner, Stocker, Ross etc are starting 18 - these should be depth players worst case. Got to take a step back nail a few early picks to hopefully take two steps forward otherwise it’s another 5 years of 8th-14th.

Never, ever left before the end of the game.
Tonight I managed three quarters - just - and around half of the stadium left with me.

Putrid doesn’t begin to describe our skills.
The turnovers.
Or the goal kicking.
Or the footy IQ of some players.

Came home tired from work, was raining, was so tempted to stay home and watch on the couch.
But no, I bloody turned up, why didn’t they?

People shot me down earlier in the season, but I repeat our entire list looks phyically and mentally fatigued still now after only 6 games.

The players looked knackered leading into tonights game and its only getting worse IMO. They looked like it was their last game of very long 24 round season.

Is our game plan simply too taxing to train and play consistently?

King, crouch, Wood, Henry, Howard, Webster, Clark, paton (mayb) Dow? Missing from a best 22 viewpoint. The omission of crouch and hunter through our midfield has been glaring, aswell as our tough defenders of paton Webster and although at times frustrating Howard. We miss the experience and heigh of mason wood down there. So although a disappointing night. When you look at it, it is not as suprising. We are very young and tonight looked it. Kids looked tired

Remove this Banner Ad

Back