Review Round 6, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

That Mcluggage non free x3 that would have been a kick on goal sucked the life out of me and I never recovered.

Didn’t show the replay of the mark so not 100% sure if that was there but might have been infringed, then got taken down by an intentional leg thrown out, then got tackled around the ankles.

3x back to back blatant infringements in a 1 on 1 contest within 10 seconds; none of them paid.

That might be the single worst umpiring display I’ve seen since the Anzac Day game decision that cost Essendon a win a few years back (where literally every player on the ground stopped because it was textbook htb and the umpire let it go).

To be honest the umpire down that end was absolutely atrocious all night

Dissapointing loss. Primarily because we controlled the play for extended periods but because we failed to apply some basic wet weather football tactics we turned the ball over in dangerous areas. Hard not be angry with this one. Its totally on the players. Nothing about game plans nothing about coaches. This was the Players all of who tried their guts outs out but some failed miserably in execution. Notably Payne and Hipwood. Hippy just tried too hard at times. Jack just doesnt think sometimes. As a positive Lohman had a crack again as did Zorks,Answerth,Joe,Harris,Berry,Lachie in fact most did thatscwhy its so frustrating.

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s a weird feeling that I don’t really give a * that we lost.

Kinda feel like I’ve mentally put a line through us for this year already.

Yeah this year has down year written all over it. Players just don't seem to have the energy and fight required after so long at or near the top. Can play great games or part of but the consistency is gone

Hope the club sends a video of that slob Hawkins pushing players square in the back with 2 hands with a memo just clarifying that is not illegal contact. Then we will sit a tall in the square tell them to play from behind and just push the opposition player under the ball and take the mark.

I’ve stayed away from here and just finished watching the game as I was out this evening.

So without any taint I will offer my thoughts.

We should have been 4-5 goals up before they scored. Our dominance early was not converted and it eventually killed us.

Without a ruckman in wet conditions we lost direction. Joe did an admirable job but that’s not his role.

We were genuinely horrible in the wet. We had no idea and certainly no game plan.

Coaches can’t play but tactically we got our pants pulled down again. We just have no alternate way or style of play. I’d it works we win, but if it don’t well…

We are the same wins as West Coast.

Geelong were pushing players back and happy to concede numbers around the ball (hence the advantage we had in contested ball and clearances) knowing that if we got the ball we were just going long right into their numbers. They then just hit us on the counter though the middle and fat side of the ground.

We responded tactically by continuing to do what we were doing. We didn't really have a game plan for the conditions evidence by the attempt initially to play like we did last week, and then just resorting to the dump kicks.

Wondering if this is karma for Charlie getting off. He is seriously out of form and having zero impact week on week. Neale, I'm worried he's still carrying something, just looks a bit off. Payne seems to have forgotten that he was in near AA form last year, and has no confidence in himself. Too many players just down and not able to dig in and try.

Props to Answerth on what has to be his best display.

Can't believe we let them stick with an extra behind the ball all night, that cost us their goals and well, we took care of our own with dismal kicking.

Fair headscratcher to be honest. Once again we completely went to water once Oscar went off. Seemed to completely throw everybody off and we seemed to have no idea how to play in the wet. Im not sure if its a mental issue from the players or bad game day coaching. But the pattern has been the exact same all year.

A few guys like Zorko, Berry, Answerth tried hard. Daniher tried hard in a tough role on his own. And credit to Dunkley in also stepping up in the ruck against much bigger bodies.

Lot of others should be really disappointed in not knowing how to play in the wet. Over using the ball by hand, constantly flying for stupid marks. And a lot of bad kicking again.

I think that should be the last we see of Lyons anytime soon. Had half a game time in perfect conditions and was no where near it. Should be on the never again list
Lyons had 11 disposals in a half of football.

In the Second Half Midfield Dunkley had 11 disposals and Rayner had 7.

Rayner had 14 for the entire game.
Ah Chee 13 for the entire game.
Tunstill 11 for the entire game.
Gardiner 10 for the entire game.
Lohmann 9 for the entire game.
Starcevich 9 for the entire game.

Lyons was not the problem.

Honestly he pretty comfortably blanketed Jeremy Cameron for most of the night; didn’t see as much of the ball after QT but Cameron did nothing all game (except try to put McCluggage in hospital like he did Andrews)

Fair call. It was a genuine question as I was wondering if I had missed something - I thought he was one of our best in the first but didn't notice him for the rest of the night apart from a couple of fumbles. But, as you alluded to, I didn't notice Cameron much either.

Interesting to look at his game vs Payne. The latter obviously had a poor evening, but he did play on Hawkins for the majority of the evening and kept him goalless too.

Can we play Andrews, Lester and Gardiner back and Payne as a third tall forward? Gardiner is not working and I think Payne might actually do ok up forward.

Was it really "game day" coaching last week?
No it wasn’t. As you say, if Plan A works… great. If it doesn’t, forget it because we have no Plan B.

Geelong just played rope-a-dope and we never adapted. Really poor from our coaches and leadership group. I was yelling from halfway through the first quarter that we needed to back off on the front half stoppage game plan, but we just fell for it over and over. We seemed to have no plan B.

4 goals 13 behinds
Let this sink in; our score of 4.13.37 was the Brisbane Lions seventh lowest score in our history as the Brisbane Lions after 630 odd games.

After all those horrible periods between 2010-2018, to put up that meek score after losing the GF six games earlier is astoundingly bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm serious when I say we HAVE to train in the rain or at least with sprinklers....our players are so used to hot dry weather, Vic clubs are used to the cold and wet, particularly Geelong. They have always played well when it's raining. We don't.

Where do we train when its pouring rain up there? I'm tipping we stay inside. Get them outside every time to learn to cope with it.

We already have the problem of the MCG and lack of regular games there.....would be good if we can get on a better playing level by at least being able to be competitive if wet.

Something that imo needs addressing.

Lyons had 11 disposals in a half of football.

In the Second Half Midfield Dunkley had 11 disposals and Rayner had 7.

Rayner had 14 for the entire game.
Ah Chee 13 for the entire game.
Tunstill 11 for the entire game.
Gardiner 10 for the entire game.
Lohmann 9 for the entire game.
Starcevich 9 for the entire game.

Lyons was not the problem.
Putting aside Rayner for a second because he was a disappointment. Dunkley had to play an extra half plus time in the ruck compared to Lyons. That’s a bit harder and it’s no wonder why his stats aren’t high.
In conditions that should have suited Lyons, he did stuff all. I thought he would be a great sub for the second half. He wasn’t, it doesn’t work with him in the team, if he is going to be in the team he needs a lot of the ball to make up for his short comings. That didn’t happen.

The guys you mentioned may have got less of the ball over the whole game or in the second half but none of them play the same role as Lyons. Not sure why you bring them up at all.

Silver lining. We had 3 posters early on, if those are goal, we have a bit of score board pressure and we go from 4.13.36 to 7.10.52. Still not a W but at least more respectable.
Clugg should have had a shot, instead Cameron gets not only a FK but a 50 that lead to a goal. 12 point turn around. That was a huge price to pay for a shocking umpires call. I know the TV is so good now that the visit we are watching is probably better than what the umps see in the conditions we had tonight so I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.
We didn’t play the conditions well, Clugg was really disappointing in that regard, because he is generally a smart player but he played dumb footy tonight.
Rayner did basically nothing. It feels like we keep playing him because he threatens to break out every now and then and/or he plays a game/quarter like he did last week. It’s hard not to look at the what Harley Reid is doing right now and not feel a bit of jealousy. Rayner can do some incredible things but he doesn’t bring consistency to the table at all. Andy Brayshaw would be really handy in the middle right about now.

I'm serious when I say we HAVE to train in the rain or at least with sprinklers....our players are so used to hot dry weather, Vic clubs are used to the cold and wet, particularly Geelong. They have always played well when it's raining. We don't.

Where do we train when its pouring rain up there? I'm tipping we stay inside. Get them outside every time to learn to cope with it.

We already have the problem of the MCG and lack of regular games there.....would be good if we can get on a better playing level by at least being able to be competitive if wet.

Something that imo needs addressing.
To be fair it has rained all summer up here.

We can’t adapt to wet weather footy.

We can’t adapt. Not particular to wet weather footy.

We also have a team full of dumb footballers or are not one touch players in the dry leave alone the wet.

This team rides on 2-3 players shoulders. The rest are passengers and have been for 5 years.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well, we deserved to lose as we played pretty stupid footy.

Dinky handpasses, short kicks, many things over-finessed if not bordering on cute.

Last night was a night for grunt work and we had too few sharing that approach.

Losing O hurt, but I venture we'd have still been defeated even with him playing the whole game.

We played dry weather footy. Watching Neale, McCluggage try to finesse through traffic was bad.

Oscar went down and we went out of whack a fair bit.

Last 2 quarters we tried the high press, they played slingshot footy with their smalls and always managed to score whenever they went it.

Fagan allowed Chris Scott to play spare in defense and we had spare in the middle. We have no chance of scoring once they had a spare and we knowingly played along with it. No idea why.

Midfielders were trying flat bullets rather than go long and if there is none presenting just kick it to open space and make it a ground ball contest. Didn't see even one trying it.

If we see payne alone in goalsquare trying to get a ground ball with forwards bearing down on him, we can forget about it. He needs special coaching session just on the options available for him. I also can't accept his mid game loss of confidence if things start going against him. Needs some sort of keeping his mindset positive training even if 10 goals get kicked on him and need to compete at a high level.

Finally, We had equal amount of chances but didnt take it. Our game plan got bested by Geelong and their smalls did all the damage. We also didn't have a Max Holmes type break the lines player streaming out of defense or wing.

Poor performance but it happens when it's that wet sometimes, happy to somewhat forgive.
If we lose against GWS this week I can't see us making the Top 4.
We have had a tough draw so far which opens up 2nd half of the year so even if we go 2-5 we can definitely make finals.

Can we play Andrews, Lester and Gardiner back and Payne as a third tall forward? Gardiner is not working and I think Payne might actually do ok up forward.
Payne, Daniher & Hipwood up forward. We have a significant issue with the opposition defence creating a scoring counter attack as it is.

We could just play a forward, forward.
Whoever that is.

Best way to make throw out an intercept player on the opposition is to make them accountable. Play someone that is actually a danger of creating or applying scoreboard pressure.

The whole negative forward concept in our side makes me feel ill.

We played dry weather footy. Watching Neale, McCluggage try to finesse through traffic was bad.

Oscar went down and we went out of whack a fair bit.

Last 2 quarters we tried the high press, they played slingshot footy with their smalls and always managed to score whenever they went it.

Fagan allowed Chris Scott to play spare in defense and we had spare in the middle. We have no chance of scoring once they had a spare and we knowingly played along with it. No idea why.

Midfielders were trying flat bullets rather than go long and if there is none presenting just kick it to open space and make it a ground ball contest. Didn't see even one trying it.

If we see payne alone in goalsquare trying to get a ground ball with forwards bearing down on him, we can forget about it. He needs special coaching session just on the options available for him. I also can't accept his mid game loss of confidence if things start going against him. Needs some sort of keeping his mindset positive training even if 10 goals get kicked on him and need to compete at a high level.

Finally, We had equal amount of chances but didnt take it. Our game plan got bested by Geelong and their smalls did all the damage. We also didn't have a Max Holmes type break the lines player streaming out of defense or wing.

Wilmot tried to break the lines

Hodgy summed it up best. We opted for an extra around the ball but every time we won possession with our spare we kicked it to theirs. That was ultimately what happened all night.

Very frustrating game to watch you could see what we needed to do but we just didn't do it. Chip kicks time after time instead of just getting the ball moving forward and putting pressure on their defense.

Back