Review Cats down Blues by 13 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah I've gotta agree with them to be honest. No way that's fifty. He wasn't in the protected zone and was actually moving further away from it when the whistle was blown.

Still, opposition outrage is always entertaining.

The umpire told him 3 times to stand and he ignored the umpire - that's why it was 50m

You can't start standing the mark and then decide to stop standing it after the umpire tells you to stand

I was at the game and it happened in front of me. Dempsey could have attacked the contest harder. He may or may not have made it, but to me he backed off.

Not a capital crime. He’ll learn from this.

Was at the game as well, it looked like he was going to get there first then he pulled out of the contest.

The other thing that's been ignored with that is the rule change introduced for last season (maybe the year before)

Once Player X is standing the mark you can't change them with Player Y

McKay would have been deemed the player originally standing the mark & was told to stand, then Cripps comes in and tells McKay to get back into defence

Textbook 50m every day of the week

Not sure what the complaints are about
I do get the complaints. When an umpire says "stand" you have two players there, one of them stands the other moves away. Then the umpire says to the one moving away "no you stand". It may be technically a 50 but only because the umpire didn't manage it well.

I think that at some point it just comes down to the question: who is the better ruckman for the game?

We shouldn't wrap Conway in too much cotton wool. IMO Stanley is offering so little both in ruck contests and around the ground - and has been for a while - that it's time for Conway to get the bigger jobs.

We didn't ask in 2022 whether we should keep De Koning in the 2s for a week because his ego would be battered if he got taken apart by Curnow et al.

De Koning was physically ready to take those roles, even if he wasn't at peak playing weight, he had a reach advantage that he could leverage. I see Conway as being further back in a more phyiscal role then KPD, who can be helped by their team mates. Ruckmen going head to head are really exposed.

Gawn is a bad match up as I don't see Conway being able to leverage his height that he would against other tap ruckmen to compensate for his weaknesses elsewhere.

You can get suspended for that but can be hard to categorically prove without a player admission

He could be fined - we've had a few players fined over the years for staging

But it gives you an idea how bad it was from Williams that even the commentators called him out for it - and while I haven't heard yesterday's commentary as I was at the game, seems they were pretty much pro-Carlton the whole time

Gawn is a bad match up as I don't see Conway being able to leverage his height that he would against other tap ruckmen to compensate for his weaknesses elsewhere.
Yes, but I still think that he is a better ruckman at the moment than Stanley, even on very limited AFL exposure.

Do I think he'd get smacked by Gawn? Yep, they both would. But, like Luke Skywalker going to face Darth Vader even though he knew he wasn't quite ready...

... ladies, please form an orderly queue.

It makes the 'Monday means test' interesting viewing.

Gerard doing his absolute best to never appear biased when it comes to Geelong. His efforts would be praised by the likes of Harley & Ling.

On the other side, you've got Kingy, who starts the season writing us off, then proceeds to just ignore us all together, and then begrudgingly starts to respect what we're doing later on.

All in all, it's a snore fest if you're looking to hear anything positive about the Cats, at least until late into the year.
To kingys credit he's is changing his mind with direct evidence to the contrary presented.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Except he was superb against the Bulldogs three weeks ago, and posters on here raved about him.
He wasn't superb. He was good, not superb - and against a ruck who he matches up well on (weak in ruck contests, a good endurance machine). The other weeks this year, he has been very ordinary.

One good swallow don't make a summer.

So are you allowed to swap on the mark or not? I thought as long as one player is standing the mark that's ok. Has the umpire got to call the name of the player who needs to stand each time?

No swapping on the mark - it was changed ahead of last season or the season before that once Player X is standing the mark they can't change with Player Y

It's the idea that an opposition player takes a mark on the 50m arc and we've got Miers standing the mark. We can't then swap him with Conway who obviously ads a fair bit of height and suddenly it's a slightly harder kick for goal

In this case, McKay was standing the mark and Cripps tried to swap with him

Yes, but I still think that he is a better ruckman at the moment than Stanley, even on very limited AFL exposure.

Do I think he'd get smacked by Gawn? Yep, they both would. But, like Luke Skywalker going to face Darth Vader even though he knew he wasn't quite ready...

... ladies, please form an orderly queue.

Yoda begged Luke not to go... cost him his arm and some connection to the force which hampered his growth as a Jedi...

Anzac Day, for our game, was completely ignored by broadcaster. Two of the oldest clubs, whose players + supporters fought + died in wars.

When did ANZAC day become ANZAC week?
It's getting ridiculous, and the cynic in me tells me it's become a cheap marketing ploy used to bulid up the coffers.

Hmm regarding Stanley and Conway i would play Stanley against Gawn and then bring in Conway for back to back games against Port at home with maybe no Soldo and Suns in Darwin.

Gives Stanley a 2 week break to make sure he is cherry for the middle of the year and lets us see how Conway runs out 2 games in a row.

And if Conway is playing well in both maybe give him the GWS game at home as well
I feel we definitely need to put more time into Conway before finals. Stanley was owned, hopefully he can bounce back.

The umpire told him 3 times to stand and he ignored the umpire - that's why it was 50m

You can't start standing the mark and then decide to stop standing it after the umpire tells you to stand
I agree but I reckon it happens often and the umpires don't always pay it.

Was a crap 50 though.

It's starting to become really apparent how much the rest of the comp is getting sick of us fronting up and competing every year. We're becoming the New York Yankees of the AFL. I know I've said this many times yesterday, but I just can't believe how pathetic that commentary from Dunstall and King was. The whole schtick for the entire match was just "Carlton need to kick this one... Never seen a team kick so many goals from so few entires... Blues are having a rough time with the umpires... Blues should be winning this one... Need to capitalize here... Blah blah blah"
Its atrocious. And the most grinding thing for me is that Huddo and Gerard are both Geelong fans but really do such a fantastic job of covering games squarely.
I didn’t think King was as bad as Dunstall. There was a time he was literally complaining about every decision.

I think it’s more to do with them wanting a close game and the underdog to get over the line other than actually hating Geelong.
But it is frustrating

King will be on us this week. He said some good things about us during the broadcast.
And his champion data mate Hoyne is all over us now.

Love how Blues fans are losing their minds over this. McKay is in the 10m protected zone with no direct opponent near him (they're actually on the other side and running towards the middle of the ground) and doesn't make an attempt to leave the area. That's a 50m penalty every day of the week.

I'm sure the umpire has rightly deemed Harry was standing the mark Cripps came from behind the play and took up a position inside the protected zone also taking up the mark and Harry retreated after being told to stand free kick Cats either way

Remove this Banner Ad

Back