VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

At the risk of upsetting the very passionate Angus Sheldrick Appreciation Society on this board, I just had a few thoughts on him. Mainly that I'm not yet convinced he is that first mid, inside beast at the coalface that some hope and expect him to be.

I feel like in the VFL he plays that role as our number one mid most weeks, and he has no trouble finding the footy, but he's rather scrappy. His skills, particularly by foot but even by hand at times, look lacking when he's in the thick of a pack, and his decision-making and instincts often seem off. He just looks to me like a player who needs that bit of time and space not afforded to the first touch mid in order to be really effective.

He had that bit of time and space playing as more of a receiver to Parker, Rowbottom and, briefly, Mills last year in his five senior games. He looked steady and made good decisions. We just don't seem to see that Sheldrick at VFL level, even if his stats sheet would suggest he's a much better player in the lower level than at the highest level.

I would excuse it and say that maybe he is still rusty a handful of games on return from his finger injury, but to be completely honest I've never found his ball-use or decision-making at VFL level that impressive. That's part of the reason I was so pleasantly surprised by the improvement in it when elevated to senior level last year.

At the risk of upsetting the very passionate Angus Sheldrick Appreciation Society on this board, I just had a few thoughts on him. Mainly that I'm not yet convinced he is that first mid, inside beast at the coalface that some hope and expect him to be.

I feel like in the VFL he plays that role as our number one mid most weeks, and he has no trouble finding the footy, but he's rather scrappy. His skills, particularly by foot but even by hand at times, look lacking when he's in the thick of a pack, and his decision-making and instincts often seem off. He just looks to me like a player who needs that bit of time and space not afforded to the first touch mid in order to be really effective.

He had that bit of time and space playing as more of a receiver to Parker, Rowbottom and, briefly, Mills last year in his five senior games. He looked steady and made good decisions. We just don't seem to see that Sheldrick at VFL level, even if his stats sheet would suggest he's a much better player in the lower level than at the highest level.

I would excuse it and say that maybe he is still rusty a handful of games on return from his finger injury, but to be completely honest I've never found his ball-use or decision-making at VFL level that impressive. That's part of the reason I was so pleasantly surprised by the improvement in it when elevated to senior level last year.
Hes no Errol with ball in hand (who is?) - however, a large part of yesterday’s VFL game was played in wet, slippery conditions where the game plan was clearly to just get it forward.

In fairness to Gus, I think the same criticism could be levelled at all of our high-possession winners yesterday, except maybe for Cleary …. but the vast majority of Cleary’s disposals were short handballs, with not too many kicks.

It was actually a pretty decent team performance - compared to the shocker they had against Box Hill the week prior. I kinda felt like all of our key movers played 6/10 type games.

Hes no Errol with ball in hand (who is?) - however, a large part of yesterday’s VFL game was played in wet, slippery conditions where the game plan was clearly to just get it forward.

In fairness to Gus, I think the same criticism could be levelled at all of our high-possession winners yesterday, except maybe for Cleary …. but the vast majority of Cleary’s disposals were short handballs, with not too many kicks.

It was actually a pretty decent team performance - compared to the shocker they had against Box Hill the week prior. I kinda felt like all of our key movers played 6/10 type games.
I thought the same about Sheldrick in previous weeks though, and pretty much any time he's been in the VFL, minus a few games here or there. I just don't know if I like him in the thick of the pack as opposed to receiving it in space.

Agreed about the team performance though. No real standouts, which meant for an even performance but also no one really screaming "pick me!"

Parker and Gus both came off 6 day breaks after being out of the game for a while and playing in tough conditions.

Thought both played to instruction and had very sound games.

There is a lot of damning with faint praise of both. I do not like it. Others would not like it if I remarked on the sudden surprising ability of Rowbottom and Hayward to kick accurately.

BH only just lost to Footscray today , so must be ok

Shane Warne was pretty crap apparently at state level and local level but Allan Bordersaw something in him and at the top level he performed. Sometimes having good players around you enables you.

Sheldrick may end up being the Brett Meredith

Shane Warne was pretty crap apparently at state level and local level but Allan Bordersaw something in him and at the top level he performed. Sometimes having good players around you enables you.
I think that's what I'm getting at rusty. I haven't been that convinced by him in the 'number one' role and think he looks better when he has others to feed off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My thoughts:

Overall we outplayed them and nearly shot ourselves in the foot with our poor goal kicking. Fortunately we dug deep and showed some resilience after they pulled ahead in the last quarter. Quality game, quality win.

I agree that we didn't have any standout players and that Parker and Sheldrick weren't as good as their stats suggest but they were still good. I also thought Campbell had a good game, as did Cleary. So solid performance from our onball brigade. Great that we out-tackled the Giants too - we were up for the fight.

The other two players that I thought were terrific were Will Edwards and James Lugsdin. I dubbed Lugsdin a 'slighter Gus' after his first performance, and I stick by that. Just terrific hustle and bustle without quite as much beef as Sheldrick. And adding 4 goals was just cherry after cherry on top. Edwards is really converting me this year. Last year I wasn't as high on him as others but this year I am loving his work. He's really learning to use his size and pace effectively. His defensive work is really improving and it's his 1-wood. His rebounding and intercepting is also improving but they are not his strengths. I think he could be a long term player for us and mark the biggest opposition forwards. In fact if he were picked to replace McCartin next week I would be delighted and interested to see how he goes. [I estimate that if they bring in a KPD to replace McCartin it will 60/30/8/2 Francis/Edwards/Hamling/Snell.]

Francis was solid with his usual excellent intercepting. We know what we can expect of him if we bring him in to the seniors. Has a bit of versatility too.

Cooper Vickery was quite good in one of his better games this year. He started off playing forward, played a little on the wing (including at at least one centre bounce) and then moved into defence later on. He doesn't stand out but is really solid. Kind of like the James Jordon of our VFL side.

Mitchell was ok.

I quite liked Konstanty's game but he hasn't yet ever shown as much as young Darcy Jones (who was taken next pick in the 2022 draft) has shown in his first two AFL games, and Jones has come back from a worse injury than Konstanty. Anyway, Konstanty is a work in progress and may yet become a useful AFL player.

Hamling had a night out up forward! Kicked 3 goals playing as a forward from late in the first quarter and they kept getting better and better. The first was a regulation set shot. The second was a set shot from hard up against the boundary line. And the third was another set shot from level with the behind post on his non-preferred. Also marked well and competed for the ball. Seemed more energised than he has done in defence - I presume that meant he enjoyed it. Can't see him making it as a forward in the AFL though.

Buller on the other hand had a quiet night but looks a decent player. My main concern about Buller is his temperament. It's not a concern like it is for Ladhams but still he can drop his head/lose his composure when things aren't going his way.

I'm not sure what to say about McAndrew. Did quite well but was clearly beaten by Madden who is a beast.

Will Green is an interesting watch. I don't think he's near ready to play AFL (no way would I play him in seniors ahead of McAndrew yet) but he keeps showing tantalising glimpses of his skills. He needs more strength and stamina but every now and then he shows good kicking and handballing skills beyond what you expect of a ruck and he also throws himself energetically into tackles and applies some good defensive pressure (including in forward 50 while playing forward against the Giants). He also took a ripping contested mark over Leek Alleer in the forward pocket but then missed the kick for goal on a tight angle from close range. Fantastic project. Can't see him playing seniors this year. Probably not next year either (but you never know). Game on after that.

Magor was a bit insipid.

Snell had a quality one on one battle with Max Grusewski (who kicked 3 for the Giants) all game long. Might have been shaded but fought well. Moves well, competes hard. Not especially an interceptor or rebounder - a bit like Edwards in that respect but he's much more light weight, suited to lining up on the 3rd or maybe 2nd tall. Complements Francis well at VFL level.

From the VFL-listed players, Will Kelly's first half was the best I've seen from him. Unfortunately he faded after that.

Ben Edwards was also good, although he also faded. It's tough for the part-timers to keep up with the full-time professionals through four quarters. He's been a great find and addition to the team.

Bartholomaeus was better than last week. Endemann was a bit anonymous. Shipley isn't at his best, maybe his focus is shifting on from footy? Tom Longmire was disappointing, don't know why they selected him. Hope it's not nepotism. (Can't imagine Horse would be intervening but maybe it's hard to ignore the head coach's son?)

Glad we didn't let the game slip like against the Hawks. Our best win for the year, just like in the seniors (although the draw against the Suns was also very good).

How did he compare to Bradman? I know you saw them both play
Much better bloke , the Don hated the catholics and those that drank . Warnie would talk to anyone in the street always had time for people.
On cricket The Don can't be matched , as a leggie Warnie can't be matched

Swans take out thrilling VFL victory​

Luke Parker shines in second game back, guiding the Swans to a gritty 10-point VFL victory.

Missed watching this live and off sick today so thought I’d give it a watch.

Really not sure about Buller, not convinced he has a much higher ceiling.

I’d be tempted to bring Edwards in for McCartin, though are Cat B rookies able to play seniors?
Your question has robbieando written all over it!

I'd prefer Francis as more of a safe bet, but Freo's young (and average, let's be honest) forward line could be a good time to expose someone like an Edwards to senior footy.

Missed watching this live and off sick today so thought I’d give it a watch.

Really not sure about Buller, not convinced he has a much higher ceiling.

I’d be tempted to bring Edwards in for McCartin, though are Cat B rookies able to play seniors?
Don’t think a category B rookie needs to be on the senior list prior to playing anymore.

Your question has robbieando written all over it!

I'd prefer Francis as more of a safe bet, but Freo's young (and average, let's be honest) forward line could be a good time to expose someone like an Edwards to senior footy.
I think you are unfair to Freo’s young talls. Treacy has been impressive in recent weeks-he’s a bit of a beast and has started marking well. Amiss is a really high footy IQ forward, but still light-framed. I’d actually take him over McDonald. And after Justin Langmuir highlighted how he is being manhandled, I suspected he’ll get the Curnow McKay treatment of any defender looking like they’ll touch him he’ll get a free. Freo’s got more of a problem with their small forwards. Michael Walters is woefully out of form.

I’d love to see Edwards debut in a vacuum but I think it’s gotta be either Fox or Francis to replace McCartin. We’re a flag contender and we need the most reliable blokes in each spot. I don’t think we can afford to blood a young guy in an important position in an important away game. Francis has demonstrated he is a top line VFL player who can dominate at that level defensively so I’d be going with him if we don’t just stick with Fox. I do think Fox has a good argument because we can use Rampe and Blakey on the taller guys and maintain our run out of the back half that way on a big ground.

I think you are unfair to Freo’s young talls. Treacy has been impressive in recent weeks-he’s a bit of a beast and has started marking well. Amiss is a really high footy IQ forward, but still light-framed. I’d actually take him over McDonald. And after Justin Langmuir highlighted how he is being manhandled, I suspected he’ll get the Curnow McKay treatment of any defender looking like they’ll touch him he’ll get a free. Freo’s got more of a problem with their small forwards. Michael Walters is woefully out of form.
I think they've got some good young forwards for sure, but they're 9th in the comp for points for. Against any team above 11th on the ladder they've failed to crack 70 points. Average is exactly where their forward line is at and I think that's fine for their relative age/inexperience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back