Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Happy New Year all. Last year the media was dominated as it has been for almost a decade by Buddy. With significant player & coaching changes we look forward to a new landscape.

This year we can expect:
  • the F/S & Academy bidding to take up significant news time as the AFL moves forward with its changes of the bidding system
  • more whining about Round 0
  • BT & co to drive us nuts with their inane drivel as they call games and the cries of 'Vic media bias' to ring out loud
  • Wonderful and delightful discussions on the media board as we pick apart and dissect the AFL media landscape.

Just the first five questions. The next 11 are for members. Cheers.

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app
As always, a great read and excellent insight. The only thing that stopped me was a pretty strong opinion that Ladhams should play second ruck/third tall, probably instead of McLean. Couldn't come at that. Otherwise spot on. No prediction as to where we would finish as it would depend on how things gelled. If it all works a premiership threat.

As always, a great read and excellent insight. The only thing that stopped me was a pretty strong opinion that Ladhams should play second ruck/third tall, probably instead of McLean. Couldn't come at that. Otherwise spot on. No prediction as to where we would finish as it would depend on how things gelled. If it all works a premiership threat.
Personally i'd start Ladhams ahead of Amarty. But 1 slip up and you're out. Amarty's tank concerns me.

Personally i'd start Ladhams ahead of Amarty. But 1 slip up and you're out. Amarty's tank concerns me.
I don't see Ladhams as a decent forward though. Both McLean and Amarty are better forward which is where they'll spend the most of the time

I don't see Ladhams as a decent forward though. Both McLean and Amarty are better forward which is where they'll spend the most of the time
for me it comes down to Ladham's head vs Amarty's tank. I'd take the bloke who can run out a whole game first. but i can understand why others wouldn't

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon McDonald and McLean will be the first choice tall forwards. Both reliable and durable.
Amartey, Buller and Ladhams will compete for the third choice tall role. All three, plus McLean, can ruck. And then there is Reid. If he is 100% fit he has been better than all three of those. The big question is whether using him holds back the development of the team. Big call.

I reckon McDonald and McLean will be the first choice tall forwards. Both reliable and durable.
Amartey, Buller and Ladhams will compete for the third choice tall role. All three, plus McLean, can ruck. And then there is Reid. If he is 100% fit he has been better than all three of those. The big question is whether using him holds back the development of the team. Big call.

Surely a fit Reid is far ahead of Ladhams/Amartey/Buller. I'm not too fussed about their development while we're in a premiership window. I really don't know how much development those 3 have left. I've liked glimpses of all 3 but they have big flaws too.

Surely a fit Reid is far ahead of Ladhams/Amartey/Buller. I'm not too fussed about their development while we're in a premiership window. I really don't know how much development those 3 have left. I've liked glimpses of all 3 but they have big flaws too.
It's not even a contest. The question there is fitness.

for me it comes down to Ladham's head vs Amarty's tank. I'd take the bloke who can run out a whole game first. but i can understand why others wouldn't

He showed very little in the 2s when playing forward, admittedly after injury.

He showed very little in the 2s when playing forward, admittedly after injury.
I'm not taking much of anything he did last season into account. It was a write off from start to finish

04JAN24: Swans Daily Media
Based on Champion Data so make of that what you will. I know some of us have strong opinions on that.

Teams with the deepest list:
GWS then Carlton, Magpies, Melbourne and the Lions make up the top 5.

Swans come in at 7th which I think is a reasonable assessment given the state of our list. Crows are 6th🤮

Depth analysis points: 38

Top 10:
3, Top 11-30 11, Top 31-50: 7, Total: 21

Defenders – Top 10: 1, Top 11-30: 3, Top 31-50: 2

Midfielders – Top 10: 1, 11-30: 5, 31-50: 3

Forwards – Top 10: 1, 11-30: 3, 31-50: 2

Top 10 players: Errol Gulden (1st – wing), Isaac Heeney (4th – gen fwd), Jake Lloyd (8th – gen def)

The Swans are waiting on a key forward to pop.

Logan McDonald (27th), Lance Franklin (31st) and Joel Amartey (34th) were only mid-table for key forwards this year, while Hayden McLean was classified as a ruck and ranked 19th.

Franklin has retired, but as the other young forwards continue to grow they will have plenty of support across the field, including from a dominant Errol Gulden on the wing.

Where will Brodie Grundy land in these rankings by season’s end now he is the No. 1 ruck again?

Paywalled article:

Based on Champion Data so make of that what you will. I know some of us have strong opinions on that.

Teams with the deepest list:
GWS then Carlton, Magpies, Melbourne and the Lions make up the top 5.

Swans come in at 7th which I think is a reasonable assessment given the state of our list. Crows are 6th🤮

Depth analysis points: 38

Top 10:
3, Top 11-30 11, Top 31-50: 7, Total: 21

Defenders – Top 10: 1, Top 11-30: 3, Top 31-50: 2

Midfielders – Top 10: 1, 11-30: 5, 31-50: 3

Forwards – Top 10: 1, 11-30: 3, 31-50: 2

Top 10 players: Errol Gulden (1st – wing), Isaac Heeney (4th – gen fwd), Jake Lloyd (8th – gen def)

The Swans are waiting on a key forward to pop.

Logan McDonald (27th), Lance Franklin (31st) and Joel Amartey (34th) were only mid-table for key forwards this year, while Hayden McLean was classified as a ruck and ranked 19th.

Franklin has retired, but as the other young forwards continue to grow they will have plenty of support across the field, including from a dominant Errol Gulden on the wing.

Where will Brodie Grundy land in these rankings by season’s end now he is the No. 1 ruck again?

Paywalled article:

7th seems about right to me.

As it stands, I would have 6th and above next season as a pass and 8th and below as a fail.

7th seems about right to me.

As it stands, I would have 6th and above next season as a pass and 8th and below as a fail.
4th is bare minimum. And I am being like the AFL and compromising myself. 2nd is a pass. First is expected. I am excited more than I have ever been I think, about our prospects. The addition of Grundy is like an angel sent from heaven. Adams management contacting us says he wants to play and succeed with us. Hamling is the sleeper. Could be huge. Jordon has added premiership depth. We lacked that last year. We have 3 mids who have been on the list for 3 years. 4th year breakout? Now some may push for best 23. But as always, the season has its up and it has its downs. Injuries are a part of every season. We need depth. Depth can become best 23 and stay there. That happens. Then we have players with a lot of experience on the sidelines and players with few games proving themselves. Like I said, I am more excited about this year than I have ever been.

4th is bare minimum. And I am being like the AFL and compromising myself. 2nd is a pass. First is expected. I am excited more than I have ever been I think, about our prospects. The addition of Grundy is like an angel sent from heaven. Adams management contacting us says he wants to play and succeed with us. Hamling is the sleeper. Could be huge. Jordon has added premiership depth. We lacked that last year. We have 3 mids who have been on the list for 3 years. 4th year breakout? Now some may push for best 23. But as always, the season has its up and it has its downs. Injuries are a part of every season. We need depth. Depth can become best 23 and stay there. That happens. Then we have players with a lot of experience on the sidelines and players with few games proving themselves. Like I said, I am more excited about this year than I have ever been.
I think we are in a far better place than most others to cover injuries this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back