Media AFLW Swans News in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

How is it when it's true !
It happened four months ago. Tom just needed a filler on a slow news week. In Canberra where Lexi comes from it's not even illegal anymore.

Last edited:
this reeks of double standards
how many male players have been publically outed and banned in the same way?
and how many male players have been "linked" to various "white powder" scandals but escaped penalty?
maybe i'm forgetting a whole bunch ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am certainly disappointed in the players but I feel the two game suspension for 'bringing the game into disrepute' adequately deals with the off-season incident, provided there are no repetitions. My main concern is not for the harm the drugs may do to the individuals involved but the bad message in sends to the other players, especially the younger ones. Drugs are harmful and destructive. I don't think use of drugs should be a criminal issue, but it is not something that I think should be acceptable in our playing groups or at our club.

I see drug use by people as a health issue, and drug use by people from the Swans as an internal disciplinary issue. And once they get charged by police it brings the game into disrepute and then they get an AFL sanction too.

I am however concerned for the wellbeing of the players and their mental health particularly with the reporting of the issue.

I am certainly disappointed in the players but I feel the two game suspension for 'bringing the game into disrepute' adequately deals with the off-season incident, provided there are no repetitions. My main concern is not for the harm the drugs may do to the individuals involved but the bad message in sends to the other players, especially the younger ones. Drugs are harmful and destructive. I don't think use of drugs should be a criminal issue, but it is not something that I think should be acceptable in our playing groups or at our club.

I see drug use by people as a health issue, and drug use by people from the Swans as an internal disciplinary issue. And once they get charged by police it brings the game into disrepute and then they get an AFL sanction too.

I am however concerned for the wellbeing of the players and their mental health particularly with the reporting of the issue.
Well said

While I get that being a police matter it is in the public forum and therefore able to published etc, but there are serious issues with a drugs policy that could see 2 players doing coke, yet 2 wildly different pathways.

2 players - one does coke at a hotel in the off season, one does it the morning before a game.
The one in the offseason gets picked up by the cops and charged, the one in play tests positive on game day yet has no consequence of a criminal nature.
The one in the offseason is named in a public forum, club is aware and is suspended. The one in play, maintains anonymity, club is not informed of the positive test and does not receive a penalty of any form.

As it stands, if you are going to do drugs, you are better off doing coke on a game day than in the off season. Seems ridiculous to me.

While I get that being a police matter it is in the public forum and therefore able to published etc, but there are serious issues with a drugs policy that could see 2 players doing coke, yet 2 wildly different pathways.

2 players - one does coke at a hotel in the off season, one does it the morning before a game.
The one in the offseason gets picked up by the cops and charged, the one in play tests positive on game day yet has no consequence of a criminal nature.
The one in the offseason is named in a public forum, club is aware and is suspended. The one in play, maintains anonymity, club is not informed of the positive test and does not receive a penalty of any form.

As it stands, if you are going to do drugs, you are better off doing coke on a game day than in the off season. Seems ridiculous to me.

tip of a ridiculous iceberg regarding drugs in society generally, all to do with the categorisation of "legal" and "illegal", which spins the subject off on a thousand tangents

Isn't game day then a WADA issue as it can be classed as performance enhancing ? Not sure if the woman's game is under WADA yet but the guy from Melbourne was named and couldn't hide.
Regardless of legality of it or the everyone is doing it argument the main issue is that for the game to grow it needs sponsors and corporates are not going to align with sports that are indifferent to drugs , there is probably a fair few parents who wouldn't be too impressed either.
For the two woman if you are on the fringe of selection and not a regular this could be another reason the Swans might let you go.
Two weeks suspension seems about right. Didn't Michael Talia get chopped from the Swans for the same thing ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back