List Mgmt. 2023 AFLW trade and draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Last day of trade period today I believe. Will we pick anyone up or lose anyone? I haven't heard anything so seems unlikely.

Think we are done maybe a pick swap I’d like to trade up personally

Position ourselves for the best key forward

Here's hoping the Gardiner experience has made players more open to moving to other states and the Swans. 4 seasons at the Cats for 18 games - nek minute playing in a sem-final, AA and club B&F winner.
It's amazing to think we brought her in as a small pressure forward. Then after the first contact session, she was moved on ball. Pretty incredible story.

Don't forget a back up ruck

The lesser of the two needs. Key FWDS are what we need. We literally had no one up forward and you need that to win, a backup ruck sure, we can get that with our last pick.

The lesser of the two needs. Key FWDS are what we need. We literally had no one up forward and you need that to win, a backup ruck sure, we can get that with our last pick.
I agree. As much as I love all our girls, not too sure about the ceiling on Lexi and Bella. Priv at about 170cm was still our best marking target and we definitely looked less dangerous without her in the final against Adelaide.

Moved from pick 34 to pick 30
Trade approved. The GWS GIANTS trade its Round Two pick (currently 30) to the Sydney Swans for Aliesha Newman and its Round Two pick (currently 34).

I agree. As much as I love all our girls, not too sure about the ceiling on Lexi and Bella. Priv at about 170cm was still our best marking target and we definitely looked less dangerous without her in the final against Adelaide.

Put two genuine key talls in and it changes. We won't get her but put Tayla Harris in our side and we'd be a top 4 contender, it's the type we lack massively. We have no size up front.

I'm glad about drafting in two young tall types, especially Davies has height (180 cm) - definitely fits a need. And as I have observed elsewhere, I love that we're not looking for a quick fix but we're building for sustained success, investing in youth. At the same time we're not drafting total newbies - we've traded two draft picks (happily our two last draft picks) for two players who, while young, have some experience. Davies has been playing footy 7-8 years (including her junior career) and has presumably played a lot of footy in a way that wasn't true for a lot of players drafted in years past.

As best I can tell neither Kiara nor Giselle was selected to play at all during this past season (although Giselle played 6 games in season 7), which no doubt was a reason we were able to tempt them away but also begs the question of why they weren't getting a game. Who was so great that was holding them out of the seniors?

What I'm concerned about is how we haven't done much to bolster our scoring power. The two talls we have brought in are both called defenders and have apparently been recruited with that role in mind, although Davies in particular has some capacity to switch forward and was listed as a 'key forward' by the Suns. At the same time we have let Aliesha Newman walk to the Suns.

Presumably we have faith in the attacking and goal scoring potential of the players on our list. Either that or (much less likely) we are confident in getting players who can do this through the draft.

Just considering that: in Lochland we have a quality small forward. C. Hamilton has shown she can cut it as a hard running high half forward, although I had envisaged her more as a midfielder. Beruldsen has not yet been prolific but the club seems to have some faith in her. Hurley is a bit like C.Hamilton in that while I envisaged her as a mid she clearly has the ability to score goals. She doesn't have Cynthia's marking ability but has wheels to get into space and get goals on the run or to take uncontested mark. Whelan can play forward but I see her more as a contested ball winner. In any event, all of these players are already in the team and so can't strengthen it unless it's through their own improvement.

We haven't yet gotten a quality KPF to pair with Privitelli. However, maybe with now a now greater abundance of talls we can experiment to see which of them goes best playing forward. For those not selected in defence it may be their only way to get a game. Let's assume BT, Heads and one other can fit in to our tall backs (not counting Lucy McEvoy who is only tallish and who may or may not continue to play in defence). That leaves Mitchell, Smith, L.Hamilton, Davies and Hillier competing for any other tall spots. Bella Smith is possibly leading the race to play as a forward right now and I couldn't say which would be favourite to play the other tall defender role. But with a fully fit team, I would think only three of those players play seniors at best.

So, in the short term, I feel like we have improved our tall depth more than our strength (although of course that does mean we have improved our strength a bit indirectly). This was our key aim. I guess it remains to be seen how we maintain our scoring but I imagine that is an easier fix. (You can't teach tall!)

I'm glad about drafting in two young tall types, especially Davies has height (180 cm) - definitely fits a need. And as I have observed elsewhere, I love that we're not looking for a quick fix but we're building for sustained success, investing in youth. At the same time we're not drafting total newbies - we've traded two draft picks (happily our two last draft picks) for two players who, while young, have some experience. Davies has been playing footy 7-8 years (including her junior career) and has presumably played a lot of footy in a way that wasn't true for a lot of players drafted in years past.

As best I can tell neither Kiara nor Giselle was selected to play at all during this past season (although Giselle played 6 games in season 7), which no doubt was a reason we were able to tempt them away but also begs the question of why they weren't getting a game. Who was so great that was holding them out of the seniors?

What I'm concerned about is how we haven't done much to bolster our scoring power. The two talls we have brought in are both called defenders and have apparently been recruited with that role in mind, although Davies in particular has some capacity to switch forward and was listed as a 'key forward' by the Suns. At the same time we have let Aliesha Newman walk to the Suns.

Presumably we have faith in the attacking and goal scoring potential of the players on our list. Either that or (much less likely) we are confident in getting players who can do this through the draft.

Just considering that: in Lochland we have a quality small forward. C. Hamilton has shown she can cut it as a hard running high half forward, although I had envisaged her more as a midfielder. Beruldsen has not yet been prolific but the club seems to have some faith in her. Hurley is a bit like C.Hamilton in that while I envisaged her as a mid she clearly has the ability to score goals. She doesn't have Cynthia's marking ability but has wheels to get into space and get goals on the run or to take uncontested mark. Whelan can play forward but I see her more as a contested ball winner. In any event, all of these players are already in the team and so can't strengthen it unless it's through their own improvement.

We haven't yet gotten a quality KPF to pair with Privitelli. However, maybe with now a now greater abundance of talls we can experiment to see which of them goes best playing forward. For those not selected in defence it may be their only way to get a game. Let's assume BT, Heads and one other can fit in to our tall backs (not counting Lucy McEvoy who is only tallish and who may or may not continue to play in defence). That leaves Mitchell, Smith, L.Hamilton, Davies and Hillier competing for any other tall spots. Bella Smith is possibly leading the race to play as a forward right now and I couldn't say which would be favourite to play the other tall defender role. But with a fully fit team, I would think only three of those players play seniors at best.

So, in the short term, I feel like we have improved our tall depth more than our strength (although of course that does mean we have improved our strength a bit indirectly). This was our key aim. I guess it remains to be seen how we maintain our scoring but I imagine that is an easier fix. (You can't teach tall!)
I think we are seeing the difficulties posed by part time footy and the great majority of experienced players being Victorian. Sound familiar? Even more than with the men's.
It takes a lot to uproot your life for fairly meagre pay unless there are other advantages. That's where we did so well with Ham and Molloy offering those opportunities. Gowans' personal contacts in Vic footy were invaluable in building this team too.
I think we've done an amazing job building the list that we have but sadly we are unlikely to be able to get who we want all that easily.
I think you're probably right with Mitchell back, Smith forward (put some glue on her hands!) and Lexi cut out ruck rover. The two youngsters will most likely work their way into the team, eventually replacing existing players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that the biggest trade deal of all-time in AFL? What about for other sports - has there ever been an 11 club trade before?

Our approach was very low profile and sniper-like. Just got in and got out x 2. Nobody saw us coming. Targetted what we needed and got it. The only trade involving us that I heard about in advance was the departure of Newman, which is far less sensitive (from our point of view).

Is that the biggest trade deal of all-time in AFL? What about for other sports - has there ever been an 11 club trade before?

Our approach was very low profile and sniper-like. Just got in and got out x 2. Nobody saw us coming. Targetted what we needed and got it. The only trade involving us that I heard about in advance was the departure of Newman, which is far less sensitive (from our point of view).
Very much like the mens trade period actually. No stuffing around and pandering to last minute deals. Just get it done and move on to the draft.

I do feel our forwards need to be bolstered but it seems that still a work in progress. Priv will need some help but she's not going to get any TALL help anytime soon.

This is interesting and we might find something similar for the mens draft

Essentially, clubs must be within roughly 18 picks (in 2023 there are additional picks in certain rounds) in order to match a bid on a player. This is the case for both father-daughter prospects, and those in the Northern Academies who are club-tied through existing rules.

The club must match with its next selection in that range, regardless if it has more than one selection. For example, Brisbane has Pick 20 and 21, if a bid came in for a player earlier, the Lions could not choose to match with Pick 21, it would automatically be Pick 20.

Angelique Raison? Versatile tall from East Freo 181cm. Mainly plays forward. Possible cut out. Not one of the early picks on Sarah's list but there are no national talls around 15. Captained WA U18. Not specially athletic.
Jorja Borg another possibility? Ruck played a game vs us with Bulldogs. Looked OK. 181cm.

Angelique Raison? Versatile tall from East Freo 181cm. Mainly plays forward. Possible cut out. Not one of the early picks on Sarah's list but there are no national talls around 15. Captained WA U18. Not specially athletic.
Jorja Borg another possibility? Ruck played a game vs us with Bulldogs. Looked OK. 181cm.

Still seem on the short side

See if you can find any taller who have nominated "national" and can actually play.
Also take a look at Docs top 25 on the Mongrel Punt.

It’s a shame the one tied to WA isn’t available this nomination of states needs to stop otherwise just can the draft. Don’t mind the mature aged ruck.

It’s a shame the one tied to WA isn’t available this nomination of states needs to stop otherwise just can the draft. Don’t mind the mature aged ruck.
There is a very valid reason that the ability to nominate your state exists. Once the AFLW is fully professional and salaries are enough to live on and move states perhaps then. For now, it's still part time. Does the mature aged ruck have a name?

There is a very valid reason that the ability to nominate your state exists. Once the AFLW is fully professional and salaries are enough to live on and move states perhaps then. For now, it's still part time. Does the mature aged ruck have a name?

Jorja Borg 25yr old.

I get why they have these state nominations but the top 10 or so should be available for all.

Cleaver would have been the one I’d have liked (let’s be real Turner who is a gun forward will go pick 1 and isn’t available for us)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back