List Mgmt. 2023 AFLW trade and draft

Remove this Banner Ad

ROUND 1

1. Western Bulldogs - Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner (tall forward, Western Jets)

2. West Coast Eagles - Jessica Rentsch (midfielder, GWV Rebels)

3. GWS Giants - Kaitlyn Srhoj (midfielder, Peel Thunder)

4. Western Bulldogs - Brooke Barwick (midfielder, Tasmania Devils)

5. Melbourne - Alyssia Pisano (small forward, Eastern Ranges)

6. Western Bulldogs - Elaine Grigg (mid/forward, Central District)

7. Carlton - Lila Keck (small forward, Bendigo Pioneers)

8. Collingwood - Georgia Clark (tall forward, Tasmania Devils)

9. Collingwood - Lucille Cronin (tall defender, Oakleigh Chargers)

10. St Kilda - Kiera Whiley (midfielder, Western Jets)

11. Western Bulldogs - Cleo Buttifant (tall defender, Giants Academy)

12. Melbourne - Ryleigh Wotherspoon (utility/midfielder, Sherwood Districts)

13. Richmond - Isabel Bacon (mid/defender, Sandringham Dragons)

14. West Coast Eagles - Kayley Kavanagh (midfielder, Calder Cannons)

15. Brisbane Lions - Matched Sydney's bid for Evie Long (wing/forward, Lions Academy)

16. Sydney Swans - Sarah Grunden (general forward, Calder Cannons)

17. Hawthorn - Mikayla Williamson (mid/defender, Dandenong Stingrays)

18. Geelong - Chantal Mason (tall forward, Geelong Falcons)

19. Port Adelaide - Piper Window (mid/forward, Glenelg)

20. Essendon - Emily Gough (tall utility, Sandringham Dragons)

21. Brisbane Lions - Sophie Peters (midfielder, Lions Academy)

I really wouldn't have minded the one the Cats got but good luck getting a Geelong Falcons local to move nationally,

Yep I agree and you just know they’d be trying to get her home. One we got seems to have some tricks

I really wouldn't have minded the one the Cats got but good luck getting a Geelong Falcons local to move nationally,
I went back to try to find the list of who nominated for which pool but couldn't find it. Do we know if Mason was in the Victorian or National pool?

Here you go liz
  • Chantal Mason, Geelong Falcons, Vic nomination, goalkicking tall
I figured that was probably the case. Thanks for digging out confirmation.

I’m pretty sure Cleo B and our pre-listed Cooper were the only NSW players drafted. We are a way behind the Lions and Suns in respect of high level academy talent.

I figured that was probably the case. Thanks for digging out confirmation.

I’m pretty sure Cleo B and our pre-listed Cooper were the only NSW players drafted. We are a way behind the Lions and Suns in respect of high level academy talent.
QLD are far ahead in their AFLW academy prospects then NSW. They're killing it at the moment.

Great to bring in 5 new young players to the club - welcome Holly, Kiara, Giselle, Sarah and Lara. They include two talls, one forward and about 3 defenders. So we have, at least partially, bolstered some key areas of need: talls and forwards (unfortunately not including a tall forward unless we can convert Giselle).

Meanwhile, by my count, 7 players departed: Higgins, Ford, Anthony, Beesley, Reynolds, Newman & Kennedy.

TBH, I'm slightly surprised we didn't turn even more of the list over. I'm also slightly jealous that we couldn't achieve more with our opportunity to pre-list players a la Port or Hawthorn. But that couldn't be helped.

So now it's over to the club to develop the players we've brought in and make them be the answer to our needs.

Always exciting to bring in new players. Now on to the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good solid players will improve the list as they settle in. Neither are tall but know how to judge the flight and mark the ball. That will help create and maintain momentum. Fit well into the game plan.

Individually, all our recruits look to have potential. However 3 out if our 5 recruits are medium / general defenders, an area I don't feel we are weak in. The combo of Tarrant, Heads and McEvoy is one of the strongest in the league. We still look a bit thin for tall forwards and in the ruck. Drafting Grunden and Cooper will at least help our small forward stocks though.

Individually, all our recruits look to have potential. However 3 out if our 5 recruits are medium / general defenders, an area I don't feel we are weak in. The combo of Tarrant, Heads and McEvoy is one of the strongest in the league. We still look a bit thin for tall forwards and in the ruck. Drafting Grunden and Cooper will at least help our small forward stocks though.
Not sure we have a genuine small forward now, unless Cooper can start in that role.

Oh well, if we get desperate we can always switch Gardiner to a pocket!

Will free McEvoy up to move out of the backline. I think she was hoping to spend more time in the midfield when we recruited her but we needed her more in the backline. She also showed in that little cameo in the elimination final that she can be effective in F50.

Both Hillier and Davies were noted as having big kicks, a bit like Heads. Hopefully that means we can rebound powerfully.

Not sure we have a genuine small forward now, unless Cooper can start in that role.

I would call Lochland a genuine small forward. I thinki in 2022 she may have spent some time onball but now she plays pretty much exclusively forward. And she's only 158 cm - so I think we can comfortably describe her as a 'small'.

I was surprised that Slocombe slid so far. I wonder why. There are always reasons that often don't make it into the public arena - a bit like with Schoenmakers last month (although clearly he slid a lot further).

Yeah thought we may have considered a genuine small forward but I'm happy with what we have drafted. I'd have liked a key but they were taken so we took the medium that plays tall at our first, probably the smartest bet

Ok. I’d kinda forgotten about Lochland. Oops!
Although Lochland is short, she doesn't really play like a small in the true sense. She tends to use her smarts and general football sense to outwit her opponent rather than out right explosiveness. As the women's game stands (as opposed to the men's), she can get away with the lack of speed and agility as the depth is not quite there yet. Give it another 5 years and 158cm tall players who are not quick will have no place at the top level. We will soon find players of the standard of Gardiner in forward and back pockets. In a similar way, players of 170cm tall will not be playing key defensive posts either, nor will girls around 175-180cm be rucking. AFLW will evolve so that the girls will all become taller, stronger, faster and more skilful.

Although Lochland is short, she doesn't really play like a small in the true sense. She tends to use her smarts and general football sense to outwit her opponent rather than out right explosiveness. As the women's game stands (as opposed to the men's), she can get away with the lack of speed and agility as the depth is not quite there yet. Give it another 5 years and 158cm tall players who are not quick will have no place at the top level. We will soon find players of the standard of Gardiner in forward and back pockets. In a similar way, players of 170cm tall will not be playing key defensive posts either, nor will girls around 175-180cm be rucking. AFLW will evolve so that the girls will all become taller, stronger, faster and more skilful.

I agree with you, especially the idea that standards in the AFLW will continue to grow and grow.

Despite that I still think you undersell Lochland. She is genuine quality. AFAIK she still holds the record for most goals in a single AFLW game. And she hasn't been a relative flash in the pan like Ben Ronke. Players like Sam Mitchell and Scott Pendlebury (albeit not in small forward roles - if you want forwards, maybe Fritsch and Schultz are comparable examples) show that you can still succeed at the highest level without being especially quick and athletically gifted when you are a really good footballer. Lochland isn't on the level of Mitchell and Pendlebury (even in the women's game), and she is past her prime, but I think she was super important for us in 2022 and is still a valuable player in our team. And I think she is a good enough player that if she were to come along in 5-10 years time she would still be good enough to succeed.

Overall I remain disappointed that we didn't turn over more of our list this off season. We were challenged by the fact that we didn't have a lot of great selections at the draft but I still feel that the additional draftees we could have taken at the back of the draft would have more upside than the bottom of our list. I concede this approach would have compromised our depth a little in the short term - but given we are clearly taking the long term view, does that matter? I would rather be getting games and development into prospects now that can mature when we are contenders in some seasons time.

I agree with you, especially the idea that standards in the AFLW will continue to grow and grow.

Despite that I still think you undersell Lochland. She is genuine quality. AFAIK she still holds the record for most goals in a single AFLW game. And she hasn't been a relative flash in the pan like Ben Ronke. Players like Sam Mitchell and Scott Pendlebury (albeit not in small forward roles - if you want forwards, maybe Fritsch and Schultz are comparable examples) show that you can still succeed at the highest level without being especially quick and athletically gifted when you are a really good footballer. Lochland isn't on the level of Mitchell and Pendlebury (even in the women's game), and she is past her prime, but I think she was super important for us in 2022 and is still a valuable player in our team. And I think she is a good enough player that if she were to come along in 5-10 years time she would still be good enough to succeed.

Overall I remain disappointed that we didn't turn over more of our list this off season. We were challenged by the fact that we didn't have a lot of great selections at the draft but I still feel that the additional draftees we could have taken at the back of the draft would have more upside than the bottom of our list. I concede this approach would have compromised our depth a little in the short term - but given we are clearly taking the long term view, does that matter? I would rather be getting games and development into prospects now that can mature when we are contenders in some seasons time.
See your point but we never know how important these players are to the team fabric. Woodward is a classic example. Bottom 5 player but what else? Swans have never been the most ruthless with their list and I approve of the attitude.

See your point but we never know how important these players are to the team fabric. Woodward is a classic example. Bottom 5 player but what else? Swans have never been the most ruthless with their list and I approve of the attitude.

I don't agree we are not ruthless (Hannebery, Hewett, Sheather, Ling) - but I am also glad we are not always ruthless and that we show loyalty to great club servants (A.Johnson, Reid, Rampe) although it doesn't always work out and sometimes it's too generous (Naismith).

Woodward would not have been first on my chopping block although she wouldn't have been far off. We have a couple of players that just haven't played due to injury and it is impossible for me to assess them and I trust the club to do this. We got rid of Higgins and Reynolds - but we have hung on to Collier and Bullas and perhaps they will be amazing 'new' recruits for us next season. 🤞

Remove this Banner Ad

Back