List Mgmt. AFLW 2023 list + Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't tip Dargan and Skinner to depart but I think that means either we have signed or are confident that we will sign better. Great vote of confidence in our list I hope.

Our U/16 Academy girls beat GWS 112 -12 today. I'm guessing a few of those girls might get drafted in a couple of years.
I'd love to hear from the club a bit down the track about this crop of kids. Maybe a major article on the website. Kicking that score at this age takes a high level of skill and athleticism regardless of the opposition. Twice now.

I'm surprised at the delistings of Dargan, Hurrell and Skinner. But then again we are not privy to what's behind the scenes with training, leadership, what these players have planned for life, work, study etc.

So for right now, this is where we stand:

Out: Dargan, Skinner, Hurrell, Lawson-Tavan, Cavanagh
In: Molloy, McEvoy

Which means we have a list of 29, with 4 available spots.

Hayley Bullas (WCE DFA) and Paris McCarthy (International) have been mentioned as possible additions. So that might leave 3 more spots. I'm not even sure we're done delisting yet, but it might depend on what's available in trade/DFA/Draft

There is a wonderful video of Jordan Davis kicking the winning goal against GWS in the U/16-18 game on the weekend on the Swans FB page. Nick runs on the ground to give her a hug after the siren. Well worth a look.

There is a wonderful video of Jordan Davis kicking the winning goal against GWS in the U/16-18 game on the weekend on the Swans FB page. Nick runs on the ground to give her a hug after the siren. Well worth a look.
OR they can go to our AFLW academy thread and find it there;)

I'm surprised at the delistings of Dargan, Hurrell and Skinner. But then again we are not privy to what's behind the scenes with training, leadership, what these players have planned for life, work, study etc.

So for right now, this is where we stand:

Out: Dargan, Skinner, Hurrell, Lawson-Tavan, Cavanagh
In: Molloy, McEvoy

Which means we have a list of 29, with 4 available spots.

Hayley Bullas (WCE DFA) and Paris McCarthy (International) have been mentioned as possible additions. So that might leave 3 more spots. I'm not even sure we're done delisting yet, but it might depend on what's available in trade/DFA/Draft

The delisting that most surprised me was Sarah Skinner. Not so much because of her on field form but because she played a 8/10 games and seemed really tight with the rest of the team.

Hadn't heard about Hayley Bullas - thanks for the heads up. Any source? Any lowdown about Hayley?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As expected
I'm impressed with our recruiting. I think the new high performance facility has been a factor along with the great culture Gowans has seemed to have cultivated within the team. I'm optimistic that we can move up from the cellar to the middle of the ladder, maybe even bottom 8.

Looking forward to the season!

I'm impressed with our recruiting. I think the new high performance facility has been a factor along with the great culture Gowans has seemed to have cultivated within the team. I'm optimistic that we can move up from the cellar to the middle of the ladder, maybe even bottom 8.

Looking forward to the season!
Given some of our disadvantages I think we have used what we have very well. Signing our top 3 youngsters was important and trading in the right kind of players (and people) was also important.
Gowans and Co have done well building a cohesive group and support from all parts of the organisation must play a role too. Lastly, getting the largest number of members and decent crowds calling encouragement all season must mean something to the team.
We've done well with this venture and I look forward to attending more games and cheering them on.

It seems really clear we've attacked this trade/signing period with an intent to provide the following:
  • Experience
  • Midfield gaps filled
  • Players with a reputation
Its also about making the team an attractive option for recruitment going forward, players will see that we've got intent on improvement and are smart enough to work our list to get there.

Only one sleep to go until the overage draft! I still don't know if we're likely to select anyone although the club should have officially cleared any spaces it wants to fill now I think?

According to this - Draft order locked in for AFLW supplementary draft - we have no picks tomorrow so doesn't look like we'll be picking anyone up. (Which explains why we were happy to give away pick 27 together with pick 1.)
Yes. Our list is full and we haven't declared any onto the long term injury list.

In truth this Trade/draft period was all about getting top Class experience into the side to make us competitive. Making us competitive will hopefully allow us to attract players next draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back