Review 2023 (Season 8) Swans AFLW Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of players have had their best years, and I quite agree that Priv is one of them (not that I can claim to have watched much (or even any) of her career at GWS and Carlton).

Has Brenna Tarrant had a better season?

Laura Gardiner has had her best season by a huge margin. Morphett and Hurley too. Then obviously the Irish girls who hadn't played before. I'd suggest that Sheppard and Whelan have improved from last year, also Heads, and then there's Mitchell who didn't get to play last year. We've had lots of improvers and contributors. I'd say we've been fortunate except that I think actually we've earned it though the excellent development of our players and the good recruiting.
Great post. What I love is just how even we feel across the field. Sure Gardiner and Molloy are both superstars, but it feels like nearly anyone in the team can be a star on their day. Even players whose men's role equivalents would be very much in the background like Heads, Whelan, Kennedy etc. really stand out. We just seem stacked with weapons who can deliver and it makes us very difficult to stop.

The Freo game last week for example. It was like an arm wrestle for three quarters and then a player like Lochland, who was kinda poor last week and has probably been below par by her standard this whole season, only needs a few seconds to remind us of her brilliance. Turned the whole game. She was back to being sort of middle-tier for us this week, but that just proves how many weapons we have that a player of Lochland's caliber isn't seen as a standout player or one that we're dependent on to win games.

It's a massive credit to Gowans & co that they've got so many of these Swans playing confident, dynamic footy.

Great post. What I love is just how even we feel across the field. Sure Gardiner and Molloy are both superstars, but it feels like nearly anyone in the team can be a star on their day. Even players whose men's role equivalents would be very much in the background like Heads, Whelan, Kennedy etc. really stand out. We just seem stacked with weapons who can deliver and it makes us very difficult to stop.

The Freo game last week for example. It was like an arm wrestle for three quarters and then a player like Lochland, who was kinda poor last week and has probably been below par by her standard this whole season, only needs a few seconds to remind us of her brilliance. Turned the whole game. She was back to being sort of middle-tier for us this week, but that just proves how many weapons we have that a player of Lochland's caliber isn't seen as a standout player or one that we're dependent on to win games.

It's a massive credit to Gowans & co that they've got so many of these Swans playing confident, dynamic footy.
Don't forget that Cat fans pretty much thought getting #1 for Gardiner was daylight robbery on their part. I think its been proven she was well worth the pick.

I totally agree about Gardiner and the #1 pick. However, it was unfortunate for us that we came stone, motherless last and got the #1 pick in a pseudo-draft where it meant very little, after commencing at a time when it was nearly impossible to get a competitive list together. Just as well the League made it up to us by giving us some concessions and, more particularly, we have made the most of those.

I think what comes across about the Swans' launch of an AFLW team:
A determination that AFLW will be a full branch of the club's endeavours, not an add-on.
Fully resourced with a dedicated (in both senses) and skilful admin and coaching team.
Terrific effort in getting the fans behind the team and bums on seats. Don't underestimate the role of the girls themselves in this. Fantastic ambassadors. This builds synergy.
Doing everything possible to develop a real team ethic. Bloods culture. Building with every game.
To achieve what they have, no matter what happens next, is amazing. I will not be surprised if there are a fair few players keen to come to the Swans next season, with good reason.

I think what comes across about the Swans' launch of an AFLW team:
A determination that AFLW will be a full branch of the club's endeavours, not an add-on.
Fully resourced with a dedicated (in both senses) and skilful admin and coaching team.
Terrific effort in getting the fans behind the team and bums on seats. Don't underestimate the role of the girls themselves in this. Fantastic ambassadors. This builds synergy.
Doing everything possible to develop a real team ethic. Bloods culture. Building with every game.
To achieve what they have, no matter what happens next, is amazing. I will not be surprised if there are a fair few players keen to come to the Swans next season, with good reason.
100%. And AFLW more than the mens its about attracting players - because they CAN choose to stay in their home state come draft time. And getting a player to move from one state to another is a big deal when the pay still isn't the same as the mens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back