2nds 2024 AFLW Swans playing in VFLW

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 key information​

Swans and GIANTS to compete in part of the VFLW season
In a change to the VFLW fixture for season 2024, the Sydney Swans and GWS GIANTS will compete in part of the season, with each New South Wales-based club to play five matches against VFLW clubs from Rounds 3-7 of the home-and-away season. These matches will be played for premiership points for the competing VFLW clubs.

Details of matches involving the Swans and the GIANTS will be confirmed when the full VFLW fixture is released.

2024 key information​

Swans and GIANTS to compete in part of the VFLW season
In a change to the VFLW fixture for season 2024, the Sydney Swans and GWS GIANTS will compete in part of the season, with each New South Wales-based club to play five matches against VFLW clubs from Rounds 3-7 of the home-and-away season. These matches will be played for premiership points for the competing VFLW clubs.

Details of matches involving the Swans and the GIANTS will be confirmed when the full VFLW fixture is released.
This is a great development for our women's program. Can we expect to see all our stars running out or are some contracted to play VFL for Melbourne clubs?

I think rebel must be the sponsors.

Great that we're playing in the VFLW. Pity it's only for rounds 3-7.
I thought it was "Smithy's VFL competition"?
Maybe because we are only playing 5 games??

VFLW Fixture New
Draw has been announced - for those seeking clarity the main sponsor is Rebel:

GWS GIANTS and Sydney Swans to each play in five matches during the VFLW season.WTF??:eekv1:

Matches will be fixtured against AFLW standalone and aligned clubs between Rounds 3 to 7 and be played in Melbourne and Sydney. Premiership points and percentage will apply for all matches involving the GIANTS and Swans

• During these five rounds, 14 teams will compete in seven matches, as opposed to the normal VFLW round model of 12 teams competing in six matches

• No competition byes scheduled during the 2024 VFLW season, with all teams to play during the Easter and King’s Birthday long weekends

CodeSports have published the full VFLW lists for 2024

Sydney Swans VFLW list​

FIRST NAMESURNAMEDOBHEIGHTSTATUS
Senna Gulden4/10/2001163VFLW primary list
AbbeyMartin12/04/2002184VFLW development list: Cat A
Brooke Bailey23/02/2002168VFLW development list: Cat A

I don't know if these VFLW games are streamed anywhere, but at one level it probably doesn't matter since they've been thoughtful enough to schedule our maiden VFLW match as a direct clash with our AFL match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was puzzled about how we could play an AFLW team in a VFLW comp when the games are for points. I found out the answer. As I understand it, all our games are against other clubs which have affiliated AFLW teams and they are encouraged to play their AFLW players for the matches against us.

Apparently the Bulldogs are reluctant to play their AFLW players, and if they don't play them we are hoping to smash them and thereby incentivise our opponents for the following matches to play their AFLW players to avoid suffering substantial damage to their percentage.

WESTERN BULLDOGS vs SYDNEY SWANS​

Saturday 6 April, 1:00pm, Mission Whitten Oval

View attachment 1950530

Looks like all but our most senior players (Molloy, McEvoy, Lochland, Tarrant, Privitelli, Collier (is she still injured?)) will play. Some other players are just a little mysteriously absent e.g. Heads, Mitchell, Smith, Sergeant-Wilson, Morphett, O'Sullivan, Hurley.

The players facing suspension (Lexi Hamilton and Sheppard) are going to play and it seems their suspensions won't apply until the AFLW season begins.

All our new recruits are in. It appears that Hillier has snagged Ford's old number #3, Grunden has got Newman's #16 (and is playing her role, or something similar to it), Davies has Cavanagh's old number #27, Cooper has Bridie Kennedy's #2. Higgins old number #17 remains vacant.

Never heard of Abbey Martin. Never seen Senna Gulden in action - I wasn't sure how old she was but I just checked and she turns 23 on Wednesday.

Looks like all but our most senior players (Molloy, McEvoy, Lochland, Tarrant, Privitelli, Collier (is she still injured?)) will play. Some other players are just a little mysteriously absent e.g. Heads, Mitchell, Smith, Sergeant-Wilson, Morphett, O'Sullivan, Hurley.

The players facing suspension (Lexi Hamilton and Sheppard) are going to play and it seems their suspensions won't apply until the AFLW season begins.

All our new recruits are in. It appears that Hillier has snagged Ford's old number #3, Grunden has got Newman's #16 (and is playing her role, or something similar to it), Davies has Cavanagh's old number #27, Cooper has Bridie Kennedy's #2. Higgins old number #17 remains vacant.

Never heard of Abbey Martin. Never seen Senna Gulden in action - I wasn't sure how old she was but I just checked and she turns 23 on Wednesday.
Senna looks interesting. Sydney girl playing as an inside mid in SA. Made the competition best of team.

11 AM National Academy Girls squad v. an invitational All-Star under-23 side
All Stars team includes two former Sydney Academy members in Olivia Morris and Marnie Robinson,​
Sydney AFLW assistant coach and former Giant Tanya Hetherington will take the reins for the All-Stars​
1 PM VFLW Bulldogs v Swans https://www.afl.com.au/vflw/matches/6389
watch until AFL game starts​
1:30 PM AFL Eagles v. Swans https://www.afl.com.au/afl/matches/5927
at AFL half time back to VFLW until AFL returns​
....​

Laura Gardiner continuing her excellent form from last year…with just a cheeky 21 more disposals than the next best players on the ground!

A dominant victory over the Western Bulldogs with the Swans VFLW claiming a 9-goal victory.Swans VFLW 12.12.84 - Bulldogs VFLW 3.4.22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back