Media AFLW Swans News in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

01JAN24: SwansAFLW Daily Media New

So now we know the season start date. Actually, it's not obvious. It says the last weekend in August - unclear if that is 24/25 August or 31 August/1 September. It also says coinciding with the AFLM pre-finals bye. But when I look at R24 in the fixture it doesn't give any dates. Still, I have persisted. If I count rounds forward from the beginning, then R24 falls on that weekend 24/25 August. Therefore the pre-finals bye and the start of the AFLW season is going to be around the weekend of 31 August-1 September but no doubt will start on Thursday or Friday night. (My money is on Thursday night.)

We also don't know the length of the H&A season - it could be 10 or 11 rounds.

One bonus piece of info is that officially at least, pre-season training begins 3 June. However, if last season is anything to go by, the girls were back training way before that.

And here is some more detail: AFLW season start date confirmed, length TBC.

18FEB24: SwansALFW Daily Media New
Three Swans named in the top 20

And the recruit to watch

Last edited:
I'm pretty comfortable with those rankings. I think they have justly rewarded our players for their excellent seasons. I don't think anyone was stiffed.

The 'Recruit to watch' was so brief it was not worth writing. You never get such a lack of substance from The Mongrel Punt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty comfortable with those rankings. I think they have justly rewarded our players for their excellent seasons. I don't think anyone was stiffed.

The 'Recruit to watch' was so brief it was not worth writing. You never get such a lack of substance from The Mongrel Punt.
Its interesting isn't it. Like you can tell they've done next to zero actual analysis and are just pumping out the articles to fill space.

Its interesting isn't it. Like you can tell they've done next to zero actual analysis and are just pumping out the articles to fill space.
Doc's ranking in the Mongrel is built on the foundation of a lot of previous work that he's done but as you go through it each and every piece is well thought through, accurate and well constructed. Genuinely applies to that player. The actual rankings are definitely there or thereabouts and you can tell that Doc gives a toss. Real content about FIFTY players.
The recruit stuff is just plain lazy and contains nothing of substance about the player. Meh! Oxygen thief.

I really like the jumper. More than its predecessor.

Yeah, nah. Those little triangles look like chunderous confetti to me. The last iteration was pedestrian but acceptable for mine.

This bit of current merch is quite good though:

1709613130342.png

Yeah, nah. Those little triangles look like chunderous confetti to me. The last iteration was pedestrian but acceptable for mine.

This bit of current merch is quite good though:
"Chunderous confetti.."

Dies laughing.

Happy International Women's Day

‘It’s just sport’: Top female athletes on pay, power, passion … and GOATs​

Chloe Molly
The most significant development.

The way women sport is broadcast. How easy and accessible it is to watch female athletes compete. The biggest development is how much coverage women’s sport gets, whether that be print, radio or TV. There are dedicated female sport shows highlighting and dissecting the games.

Your advice to your 10-year-old self.
Be loud and proud to be a female athlete, and if girls aren’t playing the sport, then be the first to do it.

One change you’d make.
Basic wage so no other job.

What will it take to regularly draw bigger crowds to women’s sport in Australia?
An unforgettable game-day experience, creating an environment that is exciting to be a part of. I think athletes themselves display great entertainment through their sporting capabilities, for example [with] uncanny goals, moves etc. But we want to keep our fans engaged, and make game day easy and fun.

Who is the GOAT?
Belinda Clark – not only was she incredible with the bat in hand, breaking records, captaining the Australian cricket team to World Cups, but also the work she does now with up-and-coming female athletes, young girls and her leadership program. She is also a very caring, kind and good person despite all of her sporting achievements.

Why is women’s sport better than men’s sport?
Sport is sport

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back