Preview Swans AFLW preseason 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Callipygian

Team Player
May 18, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
The team is 5 weeks into its pre-season. It's time for a thread where we can gather any observations and thoughts for the season ahead. This morning I saw the players training in the rain and stopped and watched for a little while. I think the group were joined by some top-ups. I couldn't recognise the new Irish players (although possibly one of them has an ink sleeve on her right arm and left leg?). I did see Lucy McEvoy but not Chloe Molloy. I am not confident enough to say either way with Laura Gardiner.

A great drill to watch was Colin O'Riordan supervising a drill where a defender and a forward compete for the ball one on one. The attacker has to get free of the defender and then, once they had created some separation, COR would kick it to them and they would try to mark.

The coaches I recognised were Scotty Gowan, Baker Denham (I think), Bron Gulden and, of course, COR. There were others but I'm not sure who they were.

Anyway, I can attest the women are working hard in preparation for season 8.

Also, for those who are interested, during the pre-season (might change once H&A begins), the women's training schedule is:

Monday night
Wednesday morning
Thursday arvo and
Saturday morning.

All at Lakeside I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
The team is 5 weeks into its pre-season. It's time for a thread where we can gather any observations and thoughts for the season ahead. This morning I saw the players training in the rain and stopped and watched for a little while. I think the group were joined by some top-ups. I couldn't recognise the new Irish players (although possibly one of them has an ink sleeve on her right arm and left leg?). I did see Lucy McEvoy but not Chloe Molloy. I am not confident enough to say either way with Laura Gardiner.

A great drill to watch was Colin O'Riordan supervising a drill where a defender and a forward compete for the ball one on one. The attacker has to get free of the defender and then, once they had created some separation, COR would kick it to them and they would try to mark.

The coaches I recognised were Scotty Gowan, Baker Denham (I think), Bron Gulden and, of course, COR. There were others but I'm not sure who they were.

Anyway, I can attest the women are working hard in preparation for season 8.

Also, for those who are interested, during the pre-season (might change once H&A begins), the women's training schedule is:

Monday night
Wednesday morning
Thursday arvo and
Saturday morning.

All at Lakeside I believe.
Thanks for that Callipygian.
Great to see COR up and about. Such a great guy.

Heads up. Practice match against Carlton this Saturday 19th at SCG.
Free entry.

What: Sydney Swans v Carlton
Date: Saturday, August 19
Venue: SCG
Stands/Gates Open: Ladies Pavilion, Gate A
Gates Open: 12:40pm
AFL first Bounce: 1:05pm
AFL final siren (approx.): 2:40pm

Last edited:

Sydney v Carlton at the SCG, 1:05pm AEST

SYDNEY

1 B Lochland, 2 B Kennedy, 4 P Sheppard, 5 C Molloy, 7 A Morphett, 8 A Mitchell, 9 L McEvoy, 10 C Hamilton, 11 B Smith, 12 E Heads, 13 A Woodward, 15 P McCarthy, 16 A Newman, 19 R Privitelli, 20 B Tarrant, 21 L Steane, 22 A Whelan, 24 J O'Sullivan, 25 S Hurley, 28 L Szigeti, 29 T Kennedy, 30 A Hamilton, 31 L Gardiner, 37 M Beruldsen

Notable absences: Montana Ham (foot), Eliza Vale, Sarah Ford
New faces: Chloe Molloy, Lucy McEvoy, Laura Gardiner, Paris McCarthy, Julie O'Sullivan, Tanya Kennedy

CARLTON

1 A Velardo, 2 J Dal Pos, 3 D Vescio, 4 K Skepper, 5 A McKay, 8 V Laloifi, 9 K Peterson, 10 M Hill, 11 A Lee, 12 J Good, 14 M Anthony, 16 B Moody, 17 D Finn, 19 E Fitzpatrick, 20 L Goss, 21 H Cordner, 22 M Austin, 23 D Walker, 24 B Vickers, 25 K Sherar, 27 G Lawson-Tavan, 34 T Ortlepp, 49 M Hendrie

Notable absences: TBC
New faces: TBC

Sydney v Carlton at the SCG, 1:05pm AEST

SYDNEY

1 B Lochland, 2 B Kennedy, 4 P Sheppard, 5 C Molloy, 7 A Morphett, 8 A Mitchell, 9 L McEvoy, 10 C Hamilton, 11 B Smith, 12 E Heads, 13 A Woodward, 15 P McCarthy, 16 A Newman, 19 R Privitelli, 20 B Tarrant, 21 L Steane, 22 A Whelan, 24 J O'Sullivan, 25 S Hurley, 28 L Szigeti, 29 T Kennedy, 30 A Hamilton, 31 L Gardiner, 37 M Beruldsen

Notable absences: Montana Ham (foot), Eliza Vale, Sarah Ford
New faces: Chloe Molloy, Lucy McEvoy, Laura Gardiner, Paris McCarthy, Julie O'Sullivan, Tanya Kennedy

CARLTON

1 A Velardo, 2 J Dal Pos, 3 D Vescio, 4 K Skepper, 5 A McKay, 8 V Laloifi, 9 K Peterson, 10 M Hill, 11 A Lee, 12 J Good, 14 M Anthony, 16 B Moody, 17 D Finn, 19 E Fitzpatrick, 20 L Goss, 21 H Cordner, 22 M Austin, 23 D Walker, 24 B Vickers, 25 K Sherar, 27 G Lawson-Tavan, 34 T Ortlepp, 49 M Hendrie

Notable absences: TBC
New faces: TBC

It's cool to see that the Irish girls are getting are run. I wonder how many (if any) will be selected for Round 1. Probably depends on how they go against Carlton and Geelong.

Looking much improved from last season.
Hi can you put the site up for the game please looked every where for it
Tacklin has been great today. Last year we got walked through at times. We are sticking them so much more so far. My favourite Ella had an awesome first half and looks confident.
can some one please tell me how to get game up

Hi can you put the site up for the game please looked every where for it

can some one please tell me how to get game up
scroll down to you see "Live Feed" and press the play icon on the image

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on what I have seen so far we will get run over the top of late by the better sides but can’t see any reason why we can’t make a push for finals. Our spine looks a lot stronger this year.
Shattered that we lost Montana again for the season.

The girl on the commentary yesterday was saying they are expecting her to be good to go after rd 2
Well that's a turn around - I thought it was another season ending injury and was devastated for her. Thanks goodness she gets to strut her stuff for the best club in the land.

Preview of our season by Credit to the Girls: AFLW Videos. They are very big on Laura Gardiner. See Molloy and McEvoy as having marquee/ambassador type roles to win fans to the game in NSW - I would have thought we could entrust the likes of Cynthia Hamilton with that, being local and all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back