AFLW Autopsy 2023 season 8 1st Elimination final GCS v Swans 11 Nov 7:15 pm, Heritage Bank Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

It was children, so yes. I'd expect better from adults. Kids aren't perfect and providing they weren't hurling personal or bigoted sledges over the fence, then I think it's a great foundation to see the passion and interest is there already. Teaching young boys what to do and what not to do in public spaces is (unfortunately) much easier work than trying to break an inherent bias against the opposite sex that a lot of men grow up with.

no no no no no no! why let kids think, from an early age, booing is acceptable? ... then they have to learn that it's not, and why it's not
just don't boo, geez, it's not that friggin difficult a concept to grasp ...
kids' first learning experiences are the examples they see from the people around them ...
don't boo ... it's an ignorant, stupid activity from an era we should all have grown out of

no no no no no no! why let kids think, from an early age, booing is acceptable? ... then they have to learn that it's not, and why it's not
kids' first learning experiences are the examples they see from the people around them ...
don't boo ... it's an ignorant, stupid activity from an era we should all have grown out of
Spot on, kids learn from the adults that teach them.

I’d say kids simply supporting their own team by cheering them are a better foundation then booing the opposition.

The sooner booing is gone from sport the better. It’s a pathetic activity.

We are talking about kids who looked 8 or 9 years old. They're gonna misbehave and step out of line, as all kids do as part of the process of learning how the world works.

I'd hope those kids parents told them last night that it's wrong to boo and lessons were learned but I still think it's a great thing for women's sport that those boys even cared enough to act that way at the footy. The passion is clearly there, they just need to express it better. Time's on their side!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are talking about kids who looked 8 or 9 years old. They're gonna misbehave and step out of line, as all kids do as part of the process of learning how the world works.

I'd hope those kids parents told them last night that it's wrong to boo and lessons were learned but I still think it's a great thing for women's sport that those boys even cared enough to act that way at the footy. The passion is clearly there, they just need to express it better. Time's on their side!

i say again ... no no no!
kids of that age know, or damn well should know, right from wrong ... and booing is simply wrong
and you're contradicting yourself
little kids don't know why they boo, and they do it ONLY because they've seen the people around them do it ...
so it's a poor example being set, or a failure by someone who should know better to tell the kids to knock it off
booing is just an ignorant, moronic form of expression

i say again ... no no no!
kids of that age know, or damn well should know, right from wrong ... and booing is simply wrong
and you're contradicting yourself
little kids don't know why they boo, and they do it ONLY because they've seen the people around them do it ...
so it's a poor example being set, or a failure by someone who should know better to tell the kids to knock it off
booing is just an ignorant, moronic form of expression
We may have to agree to disagree on this one.

I don't, but I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. I was one, and an imperfect one at that.
as a parent, to me it would seem more sensible and just easier to simply stop bad/dumb behaviour in your kids as soon as you're aware of it, rather than let it continue until they're "8 or 9 years old" ...
but the bottom line of this argument, as far as i'm concerned, is that there's no place for booing at any age, in any scenario (except maybe the simpsons)
these kids you saw booing at the aflw surely would have been just as impressive cheering, applauding, or just being there at the game supporting their team ... i don't understand you being impressed by them booing

as a parent, to me it would seem more sensible and just easier to simply stop bad/dumb behaviour in your kids as soon as you're aware of it, rather than let it continue until they're "8 or 9 years old" ...
but the bottom line of this argument, as far as i'm concerned, is that there's no place for booing at any age, in any scenario (except maybe the simpsons)
these kids you saw booing at the aflw surely would have been just as impressive cheering, applauding, or just being there at the game supporting their team ... i don't understand you being impressed by them booing

Respect your perspective as a parent. In the original comment I literally said I'm not a fan of booing, even if its just the generic "boo a player to throw them off their shot at goal" kind, as the boys last night were doing.

So it wasn't the booing that impressed me, but the passion on display. They need to learn how to show it better, by cheering etc. as you say. It will be up to the parents to instil that in them. Who are we to say whether they did or didn't?

But you know what I've heard out of an alarming number of boys their age? That girls can't play football, that they should be playing netball, that women's footy is boring, that girls aren't as tough as boys. I'm far more concerned with that kind of instinctive thinking among young boys than some behavioural etiquette that can be instilled in them through discipline and experiences.

So yeah I wasn't overly bothered by a less-than-10 second shot of a few 8 or 9 year olds being a bit inappropriate because I was factoring in the 3 hours they'd taken out of their day to deck themselves out in Gold Coast Suns gear and support their AFLW team.

On a brighter note, I am seriously impressed at Molloy's coordination re her celebration.

Have just tried doing her 2,4,6,8 hand action and it's actually bloody hard to do at the speed in which she did. Let alone with all the adrenaline she must've been feeling in the moment.

My missus walked in and thought I was trying to learn Auslan.

Hard as nails young Sofia but also very skillful. There's alot of Moy in the way she plays and only 19. Can we give her a 10 year contract?
Did you see Sofia in the warm up?
Sofia was standing next to Chloe as they were about sprint from the goal line towards the centre of the ground.
Sofia was bursting out her skin, and it was as if when Chloe turned her head toward Sofia and sort of nodded "all ok?".
The impact of Chloe is enormous around the club for our young guns.

After designing our 2023 AFLW Marn Grook Guernsey, Aliesha Newman was unable to play in both Indigenous Round fixtures due to injury. It was an incredible moment when she kicked a goal, while donning the jumper she designed

I noticed they were wearing the indigenous guernseys. I imagine that was mostly as the best clash guernsey they had available.

I noticed they were wearing the indigenous guernseys. I imagine that was mostly as the best clash guernsey they had available.
Yeah, it seems we didn't have one which is a bit of a gap not to notice - having said that I'm really glad for Newman's sake we wore it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back