AFLW Autopsy 2023 Season 8 Round 04 - Swans v Eagles Sunday 1:05 pm @ Henson Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Morphett was our best, although her influence was dampened by the umpires, who clearly decided at half time they were going to even things up for WC. Good to see Cynthia play better today. I think she has been very quiet so far this year. I really like watching Kennedy and O'Sullivan play. They are very hard at it and energetic. O'Sullivan has really nice skills. She is much cleaner with her disposals than many in the competition which is impressive considering she has now played a grand total of 4 games of footy. Her smother was excellent. We have found ourselves a keeper in her. Molloy did her usual spectacular act but was well held. McEvoy a rock down back. Great goal by Smith at the start of the 4Q.

We were actually pretty poor today. I think WC had more pressure and intensity. They seem to get numbers to the ball and overall their run was better. WCE lack of skill and polish was the main factor that kept us in the game. They were just shocking in their execution. On the positive side of things, we did manage to win playing pretty average footy.

4595 members and fans who came out today!

That’s the official number, and on top of that they let a lot in for free after half time. Great day. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ally Morphett is just an absurdly good footballer. Absolutely dominating at 19 years of age. Sky is the limit with her potential.
She's amazingly good. We don't take anywhere near as much advantage as we should, we should be dominating centre clearances and we are not.

We were actually pretty poor today. I think WC had more pressure and intensity. They seem to get numbers to the ball and overall their run was better. WCE lack of skill and polish was the main factor that kept us in the game. They were just shocking in their execution. On the positive side of things, we did manage to win playing pretty average footy.
Always great to get a win on the board, but agree our footy wasn't great today. We butchered at least 4 goals in F50 with poor decision making.

We aren't spreading and offering targets near as much as we should, decisions to handball into traffic is diabolical and don't get me started on our turnovers. A lot to work with for Gowans and the team that's for sure.

Having said that was gorgeous afternoon at the footy, was great catching up with Kiama Chris and I'm sure everyone had a great time in the sun and savoured the win.

Coaches votes
Sydney Swans vs West Coast Eagles
VOTES
PLAYER (CLUB)
Ally Morphett (SYD)
6 Laura Gardiner (SYD)
5 Sofia Hurley (SYD)
4 Emma Swanson (WCE)
3 Belinda Smith (WCE)
3 Charlotte Thomas (WCE)

LEADERBOARD​

VOTESPLAYERCLUB
37Jasmine GarnerNMFC
31Monique ContiRICH
30Ebony MarinoffADEL
29Tyla HanksMELB
26Kate HoreMELB
25Laura GardinerSYD
25Charlie RowbottomGCFC
25Claudia WhitfortGCFC
22Bonnie ToogoodESS
21Ally AndersonBL
21Ally MorphettSYD
21Madison PrespakisESS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaches votes
Sydney Swans vs West Coast Eagles
VOTES
PLAYER (CLUB)
Ally Morphett (SYD)
6 Laura Gardiner (SYD)
5 Sofia Hurley (SYD)
4 Emma Swanson (WCE)
3 Belinda Smith (WCE)
3 Charlotte Thomas (WCE)

LEADERBOARD​

VOTESPLAYERCLUB
37Jasmine GarnerNMFC
31Monique ContiRICH
30Ebony MarinoffADEL
29Tyla HanksMELB
26Kate HoreMELB
25Laura GardinerSYD
25Charlie RowbottomGCFC
25Claudia WhitfortGCFC
22Bonnie ToogoodESS
21Ally AndersonBL
21Ally MorphettSYD
21Madison PrespakisESS

Interesting breakdown for sure!
Morphett 4 5
Gardiner 2 4
Hurley 5 0
Swanson 3 1
Smith 0 3
Thomas 1 2
I'm guessing Gowans on the left but 🤷

Hey Kiama Chris do you remember all those looks at your enthusiastic outburst towards the end of the game after another poor F50 entry?
Turns out we were sitting amongst some players families:whistle::tongueoutv1: the girls came up to them after the game.
My beloved daughter warns me about that. No apologies for being emotionally involved.

A smother that typifies what the Bloods are all about! Incredible from Julie O'Sullivan
:heart:

Last edited:
Why are bigger grounds better? Who are the players to watch? Assistant coach Tanya Hetherington answers our burning questions ahead of a home clash

I couldn't watch the game on the weekend and finally got around to watching now.

3 players I feel have been real finds, outperforming expectations and having breakout seasons: Laura Gardiner, Tanya Kennedy and Brenna Tarrant. You could easily add Ally Morphett but I was huge on her last season and she was only a fraction of what she's been this season - but you could see the potential.

Gardiner had showed that kind of form in the VFLW but, until this season, it hadn't translated to AFLW level. Kennedy is an absolute gem! I am loving her bobbing up out of nowhere courtesy of Colin O'Riordan from what I read. She is a BEAST!! And with her limited experience she surely has room for further improvement.

And Brenna has just stepped right up. Very likely she had a good pre-season but I think her heroic performance in our R1 victory has been the making of her and she is standing up and holding firm in the big moments.

I wanted to comment on Hurley having such a solid game, probably the best I've seen from her. She's gradually growing into her game. But now I am (only slightly) surprised to see her rake in 5 whole coaches votes! I can't figure out the breakdown of the votes (those given by Kiama Chris above are not the only possibilities) but either way I'm impressed. (I'm also slightly surprised Ally Morphett didn't walk off with 10 votes - I thought she was surely BOG.)

Paige Sheppard also did really well after being recalled to the side - solid and deserved her place.

Julie O'Sullivan is young and improving. Wheresbuddy might be on to something in identifying O'Sullivan as a keeper. Certainly a lot to work with and heaps of room to improve. She is improving every game at the moment.

Moy just keeps having her super-star moments, as well as all her ongoing contributions and leadership. Her game against the Lions was about the only one she didn't have a WOWWWW moment.

McEvoy was solid and mostly reliable, as she has been all season. A valuable addition that helps add experience and maturity to our line up.

And Bella Smith - could this game be the making of her as a forward??? That second goal was a ripsnorter - possibly better than Moy and Swanson's efforts. Early in the game I was thinking perhaps she lacks a bit of mongrel. But as the game wore on that impression faded. The thing I noticed about her goals - and I'm not sure if this marks her as a natural or as someone who might otherwise be vulnerable to nerves - is that she took her shots very quickly. Obviously one of theme was a snap, but even with the set shot (admittedly only 10 metres out) she didn't hang about and took the shot almost immediately (and a little too casually I thought) - which was surprising given it was her first ever goal in the AFLW. Just a smart ploy to avoid nerves kicking in??

Anyway, great to get another win and continue building our form.

I couldn't watch the game on the weekend and finally got around to watching now.

3 players I feel have been real finds, outperforming expectations and having breakout seasons: Laura Gardiner, Tanya Kennedy and Brenna Tarrant. You could easily add Ally Morphett but I was huge on her last season and she was only a fraction of what she's been this season - but you could see the potential.

Gardiner had showed that kind of form in the VFLW but, until this season, it hadn't translated to AFLW level. Kennedy is an absolute gem! I am loving her bobbing up out of nowhere courtesy of Colin O'Riordan from what I read. She is a BEAST!! And with her limited experience she surely has room for further improvement.

And Brenna has just stepped right up. Very likely she had a good pre-season but I think her heroic performance in our R1 victory has been the making of her and she is standing up and holding firm in the big moments.

I wanted to comment on Hurley having such a solid game, probably the best I've seen from her. She's gradually growing into her game. But now I am (only slightly) surprised to see her rake in 5 whole coaches votes! I can't figure out the breakdown of the votes (those given by Kiama Chris above are not the only possibilities) but either way I'm impressed. (I'm also slightly surprised Ally Morphett didn't walk off with 10 votes - I thought she was surely BOG.)

Paige Sheppard also did really well after being recalled to the side - solid and deserved her place.

Julie O'Sullivan is young and improving. Wheresbuddy might be on to something in identifying O'Sullivan as a keeper. Certainly a lot to work with and heaps of room to improve. She is improving every game at the moment.

Moy just keeps having her super-star moments, as well as all her ongoing contributions and leadership. Her game against the Lions was about the only one she didn't have a WOWWWW moment.

McEvoy was solid and mostly reliable, as she has been all season. A valuable addition that helps add experience and maturity to our line up.

And Bella Smith - could this game be the making of her as a forward??? That second goal was a ripsnorter - possibly better than Moy and Swanson's efforts. Early in the game I was thinking perhaps she lacks a bit of mongrel. But as the game wore on that impression faded. The thing I noticed about her goals - and I'm not sure if this marks her as a natural or as someone who might otherwise be vulnerable to nerves - is that she took her shots very quickly. Obviously one of theme was a snap, but even with the set shot (admittedly only 10 metres out) she didn't hang about and took the shot almost immediately (and a little too casually I thought) - which was surprising given it was her first ever goal in the AFLW. Just a smart ploy to avoid nerves kicking in??

Anyway, great to get another win and continue building our form.
Tanya is quite a hard nut and gets stuck right in. Love it. Saw her a few times.
I find it quite difficult to see Laura in the melee. She's smallish and blonde and kinda blends in for my eye. Glad the coaches can pick her out!
Totally agree about Brenna, she is growing every game. Good positional play and body work as well as a sound mark.
The WCE had a couple of excellent marking defenders who picked off our entries far too many times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back