AFLW Autopsy 2023 Season 8 Round 09 - Swans v Magpies Sunday 29 Oct 1:05 pm @ Henson Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney's press conference after round nine's match against Collingwood

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Super win. I can't believe how much we're improving. Suddenly we're a genuine top 8 team with a percentage to match.

First time we've got two wins in a row!

The usual suspects performed well: Gardiner, Moy, Hurley, McEvoy, Privitelli, Kennedy, Tarrant, Heads.

I just marvel at Gardiner's workrate. Even though she gets from contest to contest all day long, when the ball is there to be won late in the game she is often the quickest to cover the distance and get it. I don't know how she sustains it - constantly on the move, soooo fit!

Kennedy is all heart and soul. Moy is brilliant. Hurley is so classy and just building into a seriously good player.

Overall I thought we had a more even team effort than the Pies did and that helped us a lot to win. Despite a few injuries, we have a lot of depth in our squad at the moment.

The even contribution across the team may also be a testament to the coaches not fixing a best 23 and continuing to rotate players in and out. It's conspicuous to me that I don't know whether a lot of players are first team or not. I was surprised that Newman was only a late inclusion for Beruldsen. I'm not sure if Whelan would have played if Sheppard hadn't been concussed. I'm a little surprised (not so much on form but still) that Szigeti is missing out - has been overtaken by Kennedy. She's the kind of player that could be getting a regular game elsewhere (and so might leave for more opportunity). Vale and Anthony have been selected at times and then omitted. The senior team is not settled and I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

I do remember the coaches saying at the beginning of last season that they had decided to build an even list rather than a list with some stars and some more anonymous players.

It's taken me a while to understand McEvoy's worth. She doesn't get a heap of ball. She doesn't have a turn of speed. She's not a contested beast in the air or at ground level (but she's solid at both those things). The thing she does have is composure and smarts. She is thinking a step ahead and her ball use is really superior because of it. She knows where to position herself and she knows where to distribute the ball. It was even evident in the warm up today when they were doing some handball drills. More than any of the others in her group of half a dozen or so, she immediately and crisply disposed of the ball each time she received it, knowing which other players were loose to receive. Unlike the others she never came close to being tackled looking for someone to pass to.

Ham was quiet today but at least she kicked a decent goal. I hope that helps with her kicking confidence.

So enjoyed attending the match. I enjoy getting around the players and their families at the end too. I had the pleasure of chatting briefly to each of Hurley's parents. They travel (from Melbourne) to ALL our matches!!! I asked how they feel about Sofia being in Sydney and her mum said "the main thing is that we want her to be happy" which wasn't quite as reassuring as I would have hoped but clearly they supported Sofia's choice to come to Sydney in the first place.

With the team continuing to improve, the future is so bright. Still think we're a way off the top 4 teams but I can't believe how quickly we're closing the gap!

Was there by myself which is always funny because you end up tuning into other people's conversations more.

Today's highlights were presumably new Swans fans with the 'wow, number 5 is really good', and a Collingwood dad explaining to his ~3 year old daughter that, with 4 minutes to go, the Pies were almost certainly not going to win today, no, they can't win every week, no sweetie, the Lions can't win, there are only two teams playing today, but at least we won the grand final etc. It was too cute.
It's taken me a while to understand McEvoy's worth. She doesn't get a heap of ball. She doesn't have a turn of speed. She's not a contested beast in the air or at ground level (but she's solid at both those things). The thing she does have is composure and smarts. She is thinking a step ahead and her ball use is really superior because of it. She knows where to position herself and she knows where to distribute the ball. It was even evident in the warm up today when they were doing some handball drills. More than any of the others in her group of half a dozen or so, she immediately and crisply disposed of the ball each time she received it, knowing which other players were loose to receive. Unlike the others she never came close to being tackled looking for someone to pass to.

Watching Livingstone and Frederick in person you can certainly see the power of being in the right position, no speed required.

Ham just doesn't look as fit and confident as last year, which is perfectly reasonable given her injury run, sure we'll see more from her in the future.

Gosh I hope Hurley stays here.

Was there by myself which is always funny because you end up tuning into other people's conversations more.

Today's highlights were presumably new Swans fans with the 'wow, number 5 is really good', and a Collingwood dad explaining to his ~3 year old daughter that, with 4 minutes to go, the Pies were almost certainly not going to win today, no, they can't win every week, no sweetie, the Lions can't win, there are only two teams playing today, but at least we won the grand final etc. It was too cute.

Watching Livingstone and Frederick in person you can certainly see the power of being in the right position, no speed required.

Ham just doesn't look as fit and confident as last year, which is perfectly reasonable given her injury run, sure we'll see more from her in the future.

Forgot Hurley wasn't a local. Hope we can keep her she's going to be a gun.

To be clear - because I don't want to be spooking anyone unnecessarily - there wasn't any hint that Hurley isn't happy. I only wished they had said something like "oh, she loves it here! She loves the girls and the club and has found the perfect opportunity for studying architecture - and we love coming up to visit too" or something like that. Instead it was just like "whatever makes her happy is fine with us and we'll support her". So nothing at all to suggest she is thinking of moving. And given she absolutely didn't have to come to Sydney in the first place, and now the team is doing well, I would hope she's not going anywhere. Plus I think she is enrolled in architecture (which, I'm pretty sure, is a long degree) - so hopefully she's here for a long time to come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back