AFLW Autopsy 2023 Season 8 Round 09 - Swans v Magpies Sunday 29 Oct 1:05 pm @ Henson Park

Remove this Banner Ad

To be clear - because I don't want to be spooking anyone unnecessarily - there wasn't any hint that Hurley isn't happy. I only wished they had said something like "oh, she loves it here! She loves the girls and the club and has found the perfect opportunity for studying architecture - and we love coming up to visit too" or something like that. Instead it was just like "whatever makes her happy is fine with us and we'll support her". So nothing at all to suggest she is thinking of moving. And given she absolutely didn't have to come to Sydney in the first place, and now the team is doing well, I would hope she's not going anywhere. Plus I think she is enrolled in architecture (which, I'm pretty sure, is a long degree) - so hopefully she's here for a long time to come.
Oh I wasn't reading anything into the convo CalliP All good in that regard. I'm just wondering how long we signed her for and if we can keep her, I'm hoping yes. I think she's going to poll very well in the Rising Star votes over the 2nd half of the season.

To be clear - because I don't want to be spooking anyone unnecessarily - there wasn't any hint that Hurley isn't happy. I only wished they had said something like "oh, she loves it here! She loves the girls and the club and has found the perfect opportunity for studying architecture - and we love coming up to visit too" or something like that. Instead it was just like "whatever makes her happy is fine with us and we'll support her". So nothing at all to suggest she is thinking of moving. And given she absolutely didn't have to come to Sydney in the first place, and now the team is doing well, I would hope she's not going anywhere. Plus I think she is enrolled in architecture (which, I'm pretty sure, is a long degree) - so hopefully she's here for a long time to come.
Assume she is studying Architectural Studies under the Elite Athletes Program. Monty Ham is doing Physio that way. It's a three year degree so you would think she's just finishing first year.

Good luck next week, I really hope you make the finals, your girls have been a great team to watch this season, and their improvement in Gowans second year has been incredible.

I wouldn't be surprised if Laura Gardiner wins the AFLW Best & Fairest this season, she has the recruit of the season IMO, even better than Molloy who has also been a brilliant pick up.

Assume she is studying Architectural Studies under the Elite Athletes Program. Monty Ham is doing Physio that way. It's a three year degree so you would think she's just finishing first year.
Not sure but she's played a couple of games for Sydney Uni in the premier division over the off season? Probably doesn't mean she's not at UNSW but I seem to recall she said when explaining nominating for NSW that she was going to one of UTS or USyd, I remember being surprised it wasn't the aligned UNSW.

Last edited:
We are the best supported AFLW team, finals bound, aligned with a top uni, based in arguably the most naturally blessed city in Australia, have the most modern training facility, second to none club culture, I could go on and on. Seriously, why would no young draftee not want to come to Sydney. By most metrics, we should be a destination club. Let's strike while the iron is hot and go hard after the best talent, both at the draft and poaching players. On that note, I really hope the club has been in Charlie Rowbottom's ear.

We are the best supported AFLW team, finals bound, aligned with a top uni, based in arguably the most naturally blessed city in Australia, have the most modern training facility, second to none club culture, I could go on and on. Seriously, why would no young draftee not want to come to Sydney. By most metrics, we should be a destination club. Let's strike while the iron is hot and go hard after the best talent, both at the draft and poaching players. On that note, I really hope the club has been in Charlie Rowbottom's ear.
Much as it would be amazing to have her, it would hurt pretty bad for Suns fans. For the health of the AFLW overall it would help if the player movement slows down now expansion is complete. A lot of people have cited it as a turnoff.
Though, Suns don't have that many fans anyway, maybe it would be a net gain in total happiness :sweatsmile:

Big constraining factor is gonna be the limited number of contracts at each tier. Unlikely to get the cream as those slots are likely mostly full, just very well positioned to target draftees and mid level players

Much as it would be amazing to have her, it would hurt pretty bad for Suns fans. For the health of the AFLW overall it would help if the player movement slows down now expansion is complete. A lot of people have cited it as a turnoff.
Though, Suns don't have that many fans anyway, maybe it would be a net gain in total happiness :sweatsmile:
Bugger the Suns - I (and every other Swans fan and the club) want a flag.

Not sure but she's played a couple of games for Sydney Uni in the premier division over the off season? Probably doesn't mean she's not at UNSW but I seem to recall she said when explaining nominating for NSW that she was going to one of UTS or USyd, I remember being surprised it wasn't the aligned UNSW.
USyd does the full Architecture degree so maybe so. Daughter played a season for them. A good club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Credit to Scott Gowan and his team, from dead last with 0 wins to a possible finals spot IF we win and win big next week. Must have been hard on everyone last year but he's given them the confidence to go out and play and play really good attacking football.

The Swans have belief

If the most significant win in Sydney's short history tells us anything, it is that the young side has a real belief about what it can achieve. Coming off a winless maiden season, the Swans are now sitting in the top eight with one game remaining in the home and away season thanks to an impressive victory over perpetual finalist Collingwood. Against her old side Chloe Molloy starred, but it was a genuine team performance focused on a particular game plan. Lucy McEvoy drove the ball out of defence, Sofia Hurley and Bec Privitelli bobbed up on the scoreboard and Tanya Kennedy worked tirelessly against the Pies' big guns in the midfield. It is a victory that will give the Swans all the confidence in the world heading to Fremantle next week.

Credit to Scott Gowan and his team, from dead last with 0 wins to a possible finals spot IF we win and win big next week. Must have been hard on everyone last year but he's given them the confidence to go out and play and play really good attacking football.

yes! i haven't had a chance to post since the weekend, and i don't always get to see their games in full ... but what i've noticed as this season has progressed is just how much good football they put together
from what i saw, that was a fantastic effort on the weekend in testing conditions, which they handled much better than collingwood as the game went on
their improvement has been dramatic, and building into something potentially very exciting in finals

Sydney v Collingwood

8 Laura Gardiner SYD
8 Sofia Hurley SYD
4 Lucy McEvoy SYD
4 Chloe Molloy SYD
4 Sabrina Frederick COLL
2 Mikala Cann COLL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back