AFLW Autopsy 2023 Season 8 Round 08 - Bulldogs v Swans Saturday 21 Oct 3:05 pm @ Whitten Oval Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney has found its attack

After going winless in its first season, Sydney has found some genuine attack. Its lowest score of the season, round seven's 26 points, is higher than half of its scores from 2022's season seven. The side is averaging 45.5 points per game this year – more than double that of last season – including a whopping 96-point return against the Western Bulldogs on Saturday afternoon. Led by Chloe Molloy's record-breaking 17 score involvements, and equal-career-high three goals, the Swans registered not only their highest ever score, but the sixth highest in AFLW history. The young team also enjoyed their broadest spread of goalkickers with nine, and kicked more points against the Bulldogs than any team before.

e7Gi2geD.jpg

Swans catch fire in hot minute​

Back-to-back goals from Rebecca Privitelli and Brooke Lochland give their side a great head start

Despite my best efforts, we had guests to lunch on Saturday and I couldn't watch the match. Since then I've been doing all I can to avoid finding out the result and getting my partner to check when they put the match replay up (pretty much at 10 minute intervals all yesterday afternoon and evening). Finally, FINALLY, this morning the match replay was posted and I could watch it. Managed to make it without knowing the result. Great game for us.

I would have to say that's the best game we've played, even if the opposition were compromised. We were challenged at times but kept rising to the challenge. And we played four quarters. All week the coaching staff, especially Scotty, were saying it's about effort and intensity and driving the ball forward at every chance we got. So we knew what to look out for. And that's exactly what the girls delivered. Big effort from start to finish. It will be hard to sustain that kind of performance BUT if we do, look out!

What I learned:

* Chloe Molloy was best on field, so exciting to watch and continued her star turning ways.

* Laura Gardiner - continued her uber-consistent, super-impressive output. Gun.

* All the team contributed.

* Hurley is becoming a really solid player, turning up pretty consistently.

* Ham is a trickier player to evaluate. Her ceiling is high but she has a way to go. She is so powerful, so tall, so strong, such great skills. But her kicking has been horrible. And she hasn't yet become (nor had much opportunity to become) consistent. She will keep improving and if she ever gets her kicking and consistency together she will be a scary good player. Does anyone know how her kicking was rated pre-draft? Is her kicking this season a blip or is it just not her strong point? Anyway, Montana had probably her best game at AFLW level, definitely for this season.

* (Cynthia) Hamilton has started building some form at the pointy end of the season.

* Sergeant-Wilson and McCarthy had the best games of their embryonic careers (but that's not saying much).

* The team played really well together. Seemed to hold their structure defensively and always be there, running in support when we were driving forward.

Now bring on the match of our season (possibly excluding the GWS match): COLLINGWOOD @HENSON!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back