Preview 2024 Rd 10 Carlton v Sydney Friday 17th May 7:40PM AEST @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Jack Carroll, Orazio Fantasia, Caleb Marchbank, Zac Williams
OUT: Adam Cerra (hamstring), Matthew Cottrell (foot), Jack Martin (calf), Lachie Cowan

Round 10 team v Sydney
Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringAlex Cincotta
Half-backs:Caleb MarchbankMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Zac WilliamsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Ollie HollandsTom De KoningElijah Hollands
Forwards:Harry McKayCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollOrazio Fantasia
Corey DurdinGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Lachlan CowanJaxon BinnsLewis Young

Hopefully we have some hands coming up for this game.

Williams, Marchbank and Motlop will be all chances. In the VFL Cuningham, Carroll, Fantasia, Binns and Wilson will be looking to produce some good footy for a crack at the senior side.

Swans, especially at home is the biggest challenge in football. We will have to be good to get the win up there.

Last season the challenge was laid down to beat all comers and top sides to make finals and we did. Now that challenge is laid down to make finals and make top 4. Can we do that? Are we good enough to push the top 4? We we need to beat more top 4 quality sides to do that.

I am a firm believer that going back to best 22 is important.

Williams, Motlop and Marchbank IMO will be heavily considered. Motlop is probably going to come back via the reserves. Marchbank depending on his form may need one more VFL game and Williams should come straight back in. But who knows. Players have returned straight back from long lay offs and performed.

McGovern Weitering Newman
Cincotta Marchbank Boyd
Hollands Cripps Acres
Hollands McKay Cottrell
Motlop Curnow Martin
Pittonet Walsh Kennedy
Williams Hewett DeKoning Owies
Kemp

IN: Williams Motlop Marchbank
OUT: Cowan Durdin Cerra

I think we might go with a side like this. Kemp I would like to see used as a utility. Midfield is going to really get tested for pace. Motlop may not be ready to come straight back. Hoping Marchbank is. He just fits into our defence really well and combines really well with Weitering and McGovern. Williams should be fresh after a week off. I'm not convinced around two ruckmen even though they were good against Melbourne. We still ran out of run and they have not worked previously. If it looks poor in this game we have to scrap it.

I don't like Kennedy and Hewett spending time in the same midfield. It doesn't work. Would much prefer we use someone else like Carroll, Cuningham, Williams or even Kemp. But that is how I think we will go.

I still think Kemp should be used on a wing. Our as a utility. Plays midfield and other positions. He's an offensive player we are trying to use as a defensive player. I would not be against using Williams as a utility and giving him some time in the middle. He's fit and he adds something the midfield will lack this week, could keep Kemp back in this case.
In regards to Motlop, if he's on the training track form looks reasonable would we think he'd be able to accomplish more in the seniors underdone than Durdin is currently?

Williams, Motlop and Marchbank IMO will be heavily considered. Motlop is probably going to come back via the reserves. Marchbank depending on his form may need one more VFL game and Williams should come straight back in. But who knows. Players have returned straight back from long lay offs and performed.
I’m not sure how Motlop comes straight back in given he hasn’t played at all this year but at least he is not far away which is good news in itself. Ditto Fog. In the interim we have little choice but to continue to select Durdin who has been very underwhelming this season.

I think Marchy only has to get thru unscathed tonight to come in next week and it wouldn’t shock me if it was Kemp who simply breaks too many rules to play down back, for example taking on tacklers close to goal, going for marks instead of the spoil, trying to win the ball instead of staying goal side at D50 stoppages.

There’s an argument to give Williams a week or two in the reserves to find some form as IMO his form currently doesn’t warrant automatic selection when fit and available, but our hand may be forced if Newman is suspended.

I don't like Kennedy and Hewett spending time in the same midfield. It doesn't work. Would much prefer we use someone else like Carroll, Cuningham, Williams or even Kemp. But that is how I think we will go.
I agree with this comment and think that if/when Cerra is fit again we should go as we did tonight with one of them as the sub. That said I really don’t see Cuningham or Carroll being viable replacements now or in the foreseeable future. I would actually move on both at the end of the season. Williams in the middle would only ever be for a cameo.

I still think Kemp should be used on a wing. Our as a utility. Plays midfield and other positions. He's an offensive player we are trying to use as a defensive player. I would not be against using Williams as a utility and giving him some time in the middle. He's fit and he adds something the midfield will lack this week, could keep Kemp back in this case.
I agree we should play him somewhere other than down back where, as highlighted above, he simply takes too many risks, I’m just not sure you can make a permanent position swap mid season.

Out: Cez

In: Cunners or Carroll

I would send Durds down as well however don't believe either Fog or Mots is ready so probably gets another reprieve.

Wouldn't be adverse to seeing Binns (to see what he's capable of) play a full game at Ollie's expense.

Actually like Hewett as sub.

If it's Kennedy vs Hewett because of pace (and because Cripps is a beast), Kennedy is more aggressive and has more weapons like his marking.

Hewett gets a ton of ball but he's not damaging...and doesn't tag very well.

He can find the ball at will though, so I think he can have consistent impact as sub.

Assuming Cerra, Newman and Williams come up:

OUT: Pittonet, Cowan, C.Durdin, Kennedy
IN: Wilson, Marchbank, Williams, Carroll (sub)

Williams and Wilson can come in and help Acres, Hollands and the defence mop up, while Marchbank brings a few more intercepts into the mix.

I'm backing Hewett and Carroll's dynamic impact over Kennedy's smarts, and Pittonet is no good to us if his disposals are scattershot and he's not marking the ball, because Grundy will carve him up. His mobility was way down last night.

Got ran down about 4-5 times it seemed. Needs to move the ball on quicker but good to see he's atleast trying to lower the eyes as opposed to joining in with the inside mids of bombing it high and long
yeah previously he couldn't find the ball but he had good running patterns and was good defensively

now he's starting to find the ball, and still has great running

hopefully soon he gets the balance right from trying to find a good pass, vs not getting run down

I think the last thing to come will him winning more one on ones. as a wingman vs wingman, ed langdon made him look second rate in a few contests

I’m genuinely interested to know what you thought Durdin did last night that was impressive?

I’m not trying to be a smart arse. I’ve watched the game twice now and saw nothing good from him last night.

That’s cool - I’m basing my opinion off my first view - thought he was much better this week.
watching the replay on TV today - sometimes provides a different perspective.

I thought he once again took too many risks - trying to take marks when he should’ve spoiled and taking on tacklers within range of goal - if Marchbank is ready to go next week I reckon he will come in for Kemp.
It is amazing how people see what they want to see. The obvious “should have punched” contest had Kemp coming in from the side and Weiters on the marker’s hip. Both attempted to mark when a punch was called for.

Why no pile on for Weiters? Kemp is low hanging fruit like a couple of other youngsters.

Kemp had a very solid game. Weitering, McGovern and Kemp is absolutely our best tall defensive combo unless Marchy gets some continuity to suggest otherwise.

I’m genuinely interested to know what you thought Durdin did last night that was impressive?

I’m not trying to be a smart arse. I’ve watched the game twice now and saw nothing good from him last night.
It's interesting stats and impact. Cowan 4 disposals none in the second half! Yet thought he was supe influential. Durdin 7 disposals and only thing I recall was his hand pass score assist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Petracca goals came against a loose checking McGov.
McGov is too interested in going the intercept rather than defending his player.
Thank God we had Weiters and Kemp back there to stop the others.
Wasn't Gov on Fritsch at times? Kept him pretty quiet

Wasn't Gov on Fritsch at times? Kept him pretty quiet
Yeah in the first quarter, the Dees took Fritsch off because of Gov and move Petracca onto Gov because Kennedy had nullifed him in the centre. In the third quarter when Fritsch did kick a goal it was Gov on him.

It is amazing how people see what they want to see. The obvious “should have punched” contest had Kemp coming in from the side and Weiters on the marker’s hip. Both attempted to mark when a punch was called for.

Why no pile on for Weiters? Kemp is low hanging fruit like a couple of other youngsters.

Kemp had a very solid game. Weitering, McGovern and Kemp is absolutely our best tall defensive combo unless Marchy gets some continuity to suggest otherwise.

I remember the play well as I watched it over a few times. Weitering didn’t really have a run at spoiling the ball as he was bodied up to Petty. Kemp was coming from the side with a free run at the ball but decided to try to mark rather than spoil. He also took on a tackler inside our D50 in the first half that should have resulted in a free and shot on goal.

Kemp’s defending is poor as his natural instinct is to get the ball. I fear these regular mistakes we see from him will be difficult to eradicate as we are basically asking him to learn how to play the game a completely different way to how he has played it to this point of his football career. These mistakes happen weekly and invariably cost us goals.

Weitering and Marchbank are both natural defenders whilst McGovern has a high football IQ and generally makes the correct read of the ball and situation. I’d much rather that combination in our backline. I also think it’s pretty obvious the MC feel the same way as evidenced by the team we picked to play Brisbane in last years preliminary final.

They had played Kemp down back due to reliability issues with Gov and Marchy, so it’s a problem the coaches have been saddled with by list management and to a lesser degree the S&C team. But IMO the overriding issue is that IMO Kemp is not a defender. Undoubtedly he has some talent so we should be looking to maximise that by playing him forward of the ball in the years to come.

Assuming Cerra, Newman and Williams come up:

OUT: Pittonet, Cowan, C.Durdin, Kennedy
IN: Wilson, Marchbank, Williams, Carroll (sub)

Williams and Wilson can come in and help Acres, Hollands and the defence mop up, while Marchbank brings a few more intercepts into the mix.

I'm backing Hewett and Carroll's dynamic impact over Kennedy's smarts, and Pittonet is no good to us if his disposals are scattershot and he's not marking the ball, because Grundy will carve him up. His mobility was way down last night.
Kennedy destroyed - yes destroyed - Petracca in the midfield and probably caused the move forward, yet you want him omitted? Also, Pitto just beat or at the very least squared up against the best ruckman in the league and again you want him out? Sorry Jim - you've lost me with these 2 specifically.

Thought Cunners played well offensively last week - how was it a big mistake exactly?

The issue with Cunners has been summed well by Arr0w. He looks great in structured environments like training where everything is predictable but in the chaos of a close game he forgets basic rules, for example leaving old man Pendles unattended to take an uncontested mark and goal in the last quarter. Others like Walsh (letting Daicos go for the winner) make mistakes too but the positives far outweigh the negatives. Cunners simply doesn’t contribute enough to justify having to deal with the negative aspects of his game.

The issue with Cunners has been summed well by Arr0w. He looks great in structured environments like training where everything is predictable but in the chaos of a close game he forgets basic rules, for example leaving old man Pendles unattended to take an uncontested mark and goal in the last quarter. Others like Walsh (letting Daicos go for the winner) make mistakes too but the positives far outweigh the negatives. Cunners simply doesn’t contribute enough to justify having to deal with the negative aspects of his game.
Possibly - it’s like saying no to a piece of Babka - you know it’s going to taste incredible, leave you in a coma soon thereafter.

I like what cunners brings - we need a little sweetening.

Possibly - it’s like saying no to a piece of Babka - you know it’s going to taste incredible, leave you in a coma soon thereafter.

I like what cunners brings - we need a little sweetening.

I agree we need a quality finisher. Tonight we will see the likes Stengle, Miers, Rioli and Papley show exactly what we are missing.

Hayward isn’t quite that sort of player but he’d be a welcome upgrade on what we have currently. Doesn’t help us this year though.

With the backline looking good and Saad close I would bring in Williams for Durdin and play him small forward with bursts in the midfield. I think he could play that role well

Won't happen BUT that is what I would do :cool:

Agreed.

IMO it plays to Williams strength of good acceleration and allows him to hunt the ball and opposition without the endurance requirements of playing midfield and the consequences of being in the last line of defence.

Given Durdins non existent contribution this season we have very little to lose doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back