Players you've seen at the gym

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 16, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dimma's wife
Luke Parker pre-draft was doing full body workouts at my gym, was doing fairly light weights and didn't look to push himself very hard at all, barely broke a sweat until it came to abdominal and core work where he seemed to absolutely thrash himself. Couldn't believe the size of him, big unit

Also saw Jake Batchelor doing deadlifts and kettlebell exercises just before he got drafted.

Also bit of a funny one, a mate of mine went to Perth to work for a few months and saw Ben Cousins at fitness first. He had to leave so didn't see much but was doing full stacks on the row and pulldown machines for 8+ reps. Also said he spent a good chunk of time talking to young attractive girls between sets :p

Use to Jake Carlisle in the local gym, all the way up until his first training session with Essendon. He is much bigger now than what he was back then.

As I've posted in another thread I saw a few of the Richmond boys in the gym. It was right as their season ended, looked as if they went down there for just a catch up. What they were doing was laughable.

Saw the majority of the Essendon FC list doing recovery in the sea baths at St Kilda. Was honestly surprised at how skinny they all were (obviously humorous given today's developments). I'm sure they're all very strong and I guess given today's game relies so much on speed it's natural to try and keep them lean.

Saw the majority of the Essendon FC list doing recovery in the sea baths at St Kilda. Was honestly surprised at how skinny they all were (obviously humorous given today's developments). I'm sure they're all very strong and I guess given today's game relies so much on speed it's natural to try and keep them lean.

i always used to think the players did workouts before training and games, they always seem to look bigger and pumped. then you see them walking the street in a singlet and they don't look as big at all.

i always used to think the players did workouts before training and games, they always seem to look bigger and pumped. then you see them walking the street in a singlet and they don't look as big at all.

Prob because they get pretty carbed up before a game

Also bit of a funny one, a mate of mine went to Perth to work for a few months and saw Ben Cousins at fitness first. He had to leave so didn't see much but was doing full stacks on the row and pulldown machines for 8+ reps. Also said he spent a good chunk of time talking to young attractive girls between sets :p

used to work out at wesley gym and Cuzzy was a regular there. He used to run to the gym, do a few sets of weights and talk to the punters (and by punters i mean girls) was in bloody good nick everytime i saw him, not sure when he managed to squeeze in the ice.

Saw big Kepler Bradley at the gym at arena Joondalup in the off season back in his essendon days. He was working pretty hard and seemed happy to chat to a few randoms.

See the North boys train a bit, mostly repeat sprint work and core stuff.
Some of the core exercises look a little difficult but are way harder than they look - they do spend quite a bit of time on oblique work which I found interesting.

One of their exercises they lie on their side and quickly & repeatedly move both their upper torso and legs up so their body is shaped like a banana, back down & repeat.
The speed in which they do it and how far they move both parts of their body is pretty impressive. Often done in between sprints.

One of their exercises they lie on their side and quickly & repeatedly move both their upper torso and legs up so their body is shaped like a banana, back down & repeat.
The speed in which they do it and how far they move both parts of their body is pretty impressive. Often done in between sprints.

Dealing with one of Norths physios atm, and from what I've talked about with him North are doing things completely differently to some of the other clubs they do 3 2hour rehabilitation/pre-hab sessions a week covering the whole body i.e even if you've never had a shoulder problem in your life you still do all the shoulder work.

Also interesting they do no lower body lifting at all & develop all their strength/power on the track. Steve Saunders is a genius and their injury history from last season reflects this, and from what I've read this pre-season just about every one is injury free.

Also interesting they do no lower body lifting at all & develop all their strength/power on the track. Steve Saunders is a genius and their injury history from last season reflects this, and from what I've read this pre-season just about every one is injury free.
That's really different - I know the Bulldogs have had a massive change in their training this year due to a new fitness team (Rugby union background) and they've increased the lower body power stuff, focussed solely on movements that translate to actual play.

Regarding the Saunders methodology, didn't cptkrk mention previously that sprintwork covers most of a footballer's plyometrics training needs anyway?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really surprising
It's spot on imo, the eccentric forces associated with the intensity/amount of running they do if enough to keep their power up.
They are very much of the opinion that quality running >>>> lifting.

They're a pretty skinny side. Will be interesting to see if that approach pays dividends.

I know on the Swans videos from the gym, they've been doing deads, squats and cleans. didn't look like massive weights, but the exercises are being done.

When I used to go to Windy Hill gym in Essendon (late 2011) I saw Jackson Trengove there in the off season. Thought it was odd considering he played for Port Adelaide and was going to a rival clubs home base to do a gym session.

Anyway, from what I remember he was only doing 25kg db's for chest press, didn't seem to have much strength at all.

Saw Matt Jones a few times, lifted **** all

Jack Riewoldt went to my old old gym, used to brag about benching 80

Saw Matt Jones a few times, lifted **** all

Jack Riewoldt went to my old old gym, used to brag about benching 80

Jones is pretty small.
He was at the Div 2 YVMDFL granny last year and got dwarfed by everyone (bulk wise)

Jones is pretty small.
He was at the Div 2 YVMDFL granny last year and got dwarfed by everyone (bulk wise)
he push pressed about 40 for sets of 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back