Players you've seen at the gym

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd say what a player benches or squats is pretty irrelevant to their playing ability. Their weight training just supplements their overall running/skill training.

Footy is mostly about running these days, a player would rather run sub 10 min 3km
Than bench press 140kgs. As long as they have adequate strength to compete in contest and not get pushed around, their running ability is a far bigger advantage.

He's always been pretty skinny/lean (played U18s against him).
Absolute running machine.
He always looked kinda "skinny fat" to me

Used to see Daniel Cross occasionally in the off season out my way around 2004-07.

He would absolutely hammer the treadmill for about 45 minutes. He was probably doing well under 4 minutes a kilometre also. I remember back in my footy days, I'd be rapt if I'd do 5kms on the treadmill in about 22 minutes, normally I'd try and do it in under 25 though. Crossy probably clocked up about 12-14kms in his 45 minute runs :p

Used to see Daniel Cross occasionally in the off season out my way around 2004-07.

He would absolutely hammer the treadmill for about 45 minutes. He was probably doing well under 4 minutes a kilometre also. I remember back in my footy days, I'd be rapt if I'd do 5kms on the treadmill in about 22 minutes, normally I'd try and do it in under 25 though. Crossy probably clocked up about 12-14kms in his 45 minute runs :p
Crossy was an athletic beast though

Srsly tho- I was keeping pace with him easily (made sure I was up the opposite end to him, when at the wall) but his technique was horrible- it seemed like he was gasping for air and couldnt swim :D

Was it around the time he did that big hammy?
And seriously, if you're a s**t swimmer just use one of those little boards lol

Was it around the time he did that big hammy?
And seriously, if you're a s**t swimmer just use one of those little boards lol

God I wouldn't have a clue- couldn't even tell you which year, just mid 2000s is when I was a member.

Kick boards are awesome. But freestyle ftw. Hate breastroke, backstroke. Lol wouldnt even waste my time with butterfly.

I'd say what a player benches or squats is pretty irrelevant to their playing ability. Their weight training just supplements their overall running/skill training.

Footy is mostly about running these days, a player would rather run sub 10 min 3km
Than bench press 140kgs. As long as they have adequate strength to compete in contest and not get pushed around, their running ability is a far bigger advantage.

yep. the power they can generate and strength/power endurance is more important than the max weight they can lift, and you'll find that outside the off-season, players will lift sub-maximally most of the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kick boards are awesome. But freestyle ftw. Hate breastroke, backstroke. Lol wouldnt even waste my time with butterfly.

Wouldn't waste your time, or can't do it because it's too hard? ;)

Butterfly is awesome, backstroke is the ugly sister of the swimming strokes.

Wouldn't waste your time, or can't do it because it's too hard? ;)

Butterfly is awesome, backstroke is the ugly sister of the swimming strokes.

Oh yeah for sure it's too hard, am happy to admit that. I cannot do it.

Breastroke is just too slow, why do it when you can do free.

Liam Jones is skinny and trains at Derrimut

There is an article floating about listing the strongest players at each AFL club and Jones can apparently bench 140kg. Have you noticed what sort of numbers he lifts?

Anthony Koutifides trains at Doherty's sometimes, but I don't know what his max lifts would be like. He does a lot of body weight stuff, pretty much textbook perfect form without even generating a sweat.

There is an article floating about listing the strongest players at each AFL club and Jones can apparently bench 140kg. Have you noticed what sort of numbers he lifts?

Anthony Koutifides trains at Doherty's sometimes, but I don't know what his max lifts would be like. He does a lot of body weight stuff, pretty much textbook perfect form without even generating a sweat.
Would be very surprised if he can jack up 140. But maybe.. he was just mucking around in chest machines when i seen him. He would be 95 kgs max, I'm 6'2 and he's maybe 6'4 id guess

Jones has basically made it so long in the AFL due to his athleticism.
If his 60kg lady can bench ~150kg I see no reason why Jones wouldn't have the potential to bench 140kg

Jones has basically made it so long in the AFL due to his athleticism.
If his 60kg lady can bench ~150kg I see no reason why Jones wouldn't have the potential to bench 140kg

Can confirm yesterday seeing Jones pushing up 110kgs for reps, looked to be his 5 rep set so maybe he could max rep 140.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back