The 'Gabba (Brisbane Cricket Ground)

Remove this Banner Ad

Now there's a place where the buses are not nearly as efficient. :p But yeah, 20 minutes from leaving the Gabba to a train station at most.

Same. I'll just grab some McDonald's or whatever I can find. And yeah, I left at a pretty awkward time after the Lions/Swans game this season (after the rush, but before the end of kick-to-kick), and there was still at least 5 buses waiting.
All you blokes waste the time with stadium food and McDonald's & KFC! When you have the German club across the road

Last edited:
Anyone tried getting a tour of the Gabba. Anyone successful in actually getting a tour of the Gabba.

Was in SEQ the last couple of weeks, so decided to book in a tour of the Gabba. All booked and confirmed a couple of weeks ago. Then about a week ago, get an e-mail - sorry tour's cancelled because of a Bulls training session, oh but it can be rebooked (which is useless for interstate tourists).

Seeing how well/flexible other stadia run tours, Gabba tours are nothing short of farcical.

Anyone tried getting a tour of the Gabba. Anyone successful in actually getting a tour of the Gabba.

Was in SEQ the last couple of weeks, so decided to book in a tour of the Gabba. All booked and confirmed a couple of weeks ago. Then about a week ago, get an e-mail - sorry tour's cancelled because of a Bulls training session, oh but it can be rebooked (which is useless for interstate tourists).

Seeing how well/flexible other stadia run tours, Gabba tours are nothing short of farcical.
Was like 2008/9 or something, went up there in the middle of the year and they were running on schedule, no issues. The tour itself was pretty good from memory as well.

Such a shame they've screwed you around. Not like the Bulls doing touch footy on the outfield for training or using the nets would stop 20 people walking around the stadium and stepping onto the grass right next to the fence so they can say they got on the field.

That's one massive bit of advertising above the interchange at the Lions game today. Clever use of space given (a) sadly they don't need the seats and (b) they lose main camera advertising space due to the bench not being on the broadcast wing.

Why have we never filled the Gabba before. It holds 42,000 and the biggest ever crowd there is 39,000 for the crikcet.

Why have we never filled the Gabba before. It holds 42,000 and the biggest ever crowd there is 39,000 for the crikcet.

It was filled quite a number of times during the Lions glory era. It's been redeveloped since then so your "highest crowd" numbers dont tell the full picture.

We've also had a couple of sellouts since the premierships too. The 2009 elim final and Fev's first game vs Carlton in 2010 I'm pretty sure were sellouts.

It was filled quite a number of times during the Lions glory era. It's been redeveloped since then so your "highest crowd" numbers dont tell the full picture.

We've also had a couple of sellouts since the premierships too. The 2009 elim final and Fev's first game vs Carlton in 2010 I'm pretty sure were sellouts.
Scum game in 2005 was a sellout, don't think the elim final was though (IIRC we actually got a larger crowd to the regular season match against the Blues that year than the elim final). Fev game was definitely a sellout.

I'm going to the Gabba for Brisbane v Geelong next month, haven't booked tickets to the actual game yet though. Which end do the opposition cheer squad sit at? Have read it's the eastern end in the gates 8/9 end, is that correct?

Also there isn't a lot of seats left on ticketmaster, is that because the Brisbane/Gabba members are allocated a lot of these so it doesn't leave much for public reserve?

I'm going to the Gabba for Brisbane v Geelong next month, haven't booked tickets to the actual game yet though. Which end do the opposition cheer squad sit at? Have read it's the eastern end in the gates 8/9 end, is that correct?

Also there isn't a lot of seats left on ticketmaster, is that because the Brisbane/Gabba members are allocated a lot of these so it doesn't leave much for public reserve?
Away cheer squad end is Eastern end around sec 14-15ish, which is a GA section anyway.

Tix won't sell out, will likely be a crowd of around 15000 (Geelong do have a decent amount of support here)

Away cheer squad end is Eastern end around sec 14-15ish, which is a GA section anyway.

Tix won't sell out, will likely be a crowd of around 15000 (Geelong do have a decent amount of support here)

Yeah I thought so, just wanted to confirm. On ticketmaster they've got GA available along with Secs 21-22 on the lower level. 49-50, 52-53, 55, 58-60 and 71 on the upper level, a lot of sections don't have tickets available though. Pretty much just a choice of GA or the two sections next to GA in the southeast end or sitting in the upper level at that end. Just figured there would be more to choose from seeing as how it won't be a sell out but I'm guessing with Gabba members, Brisbane Lions members and people who have already bought there won't be much left even if it is a small crowd who actually show up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't intend any disrespect, I have travelled to the Gabba to see Port on multiple occasions and always enjoyed it, win or lose. However, on Saturday night we noticed that there was a lot of crowd noise for Lions' goals. Does any of the crowd noise come from the speakers like they do/did at Metricon?

after the debacle today re the AFLW grand final ie. the grounds man stuffing up the chance of a home GF for the lions, Kevin Mitchell Jnr needs his contract terminated.

Absolutely. He's brought Queensland cricket and Stadiums Queensland into disrepute with his lax, lazy effort to get the surface up to scratch. He's had 3 weeks since Adele to get the ground ready for today, and he knew full well the Lions were going to host the AFLW Grand Final for 2 weeks. If Etihad can be ready in 1 week, and Adelaide Oval in 2 weeks since Adele, just what the * was Kevin Mitchell Jnr doing.

Absolutely. He's brought Queensland cricket and Stadiums Queensland into disrepute with his lax, lazy effort to get the surface up to scratch. He's had 3 weeks since Adele to get the ground ready for today, and he knew full well the Lions were going to host the AFLW Grand Final for 2 weeks. If Etihad can be ready in 1 week, and Adelaide Oval in 2 weeks since Adele, just what the **** was Kevin Mitchell Jnr doing.
he has a well known dislike of the AFL and now the AFLW competition, at no stage post the Adele concert was he getting the ground ready for the AFLW GF or for that matter the mens round 2 game against essendon. he sowed new grass within days of the Adele concert with an eye on the ashes test in november, what a joke, and that is the reason an advice was sent out that he did not want any activity on the ground for 6 weeks.

this brilliant sarcastic tweet from Josh Walker sums it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back