Travel EUROPE: Travel Tips & Tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought I was the one shooting off irrelevant personal attacks? Sorry – aren't you into Muse?

PS: That's not how you use a PS.
that wasn't a personal attack, but i was having a laugh at your expense that you've got a Vampire Weekend lyric on your profile.

p.s I don't care

that wasn't a personal attack, but i was having a laugh at your expense that you've got a Vampire Weekend lyric on your profile.

p.s I don't care
So you are into Muse? Mumford and Sons? How's it going supporting a meme Bundesliga team and every white boy's favourite basketball team?

Can't wait until I get called out about this for my strawman!

So you are into Muse? Mumford and Sons? How's it going supporting a meme Bundesliga team and every white boy's favourite basketball team?

Can't wait until I get called out about this for my strawman!

not really, i listen to a mixture of hardcore punk and abc AM radio. I've got family ties to the City of Dortmund and own property there. As for Celtics - can't defend that ... when I started caring about bball it was all about KG, Ray Allen and The Truth.

But I still love that you listen to vampire weekend

not really, i listen to a mixture of hardcore punk and abc AM radio. I've got family ties to the City of Dortmund and own property there. As for Celtics - can't defend that ... when I started caring about bball it was all about KG, Ray Allen and The Truth.

But I still love that you listen to vampire weekend
If you're into hardcore punk then that's, just, like your opinion man.

To get this thread back on track it's now moving into tourist season here in Krakow. Can't move anywhere in the city centre without running into tourists wandering around and taking pictures of everything. Time to shift to my favourite not touristic summer bars.

To get this thread back on track it's now moving into tourist season here in Krakow. Can't move anywhere in the city centre without running into tourists wandering around and taking pictures of everything. Time to shift to my favourite not touristic summer bars.
Cannes Film Festival for the next week here and Monaco GP next week. Hectic time.

Hi All,

Started planning a three month trip to Europe starting late May next year. Here's a rough itinerary and would appreciate some tips and recommendations. We're a couple in our early 30s who enjoy all the usual stuff like history, food and wine, arts, wilderness, beaches, cities etc. Keen to get the right balance between relaxing and seeing as much as we can. Here are my initial thoughts in no specific order. Quite a bit at the moment but wil cull a few places here and there in due course. There's always next time..

Thanks.

Italy - 2 weeks - Rome, Positano, Florence, Tuscan countryside, Cinque Terra, Venice.

Spain - 2 weeks - Madrid, Bacelona, Granada, somewhere on the coast?

Eastern Europe - 2.5 - Krakow, Prague, Cezky Krumlov, Salzkammergut Lake District and Salzburg, Vienna, Budapest.

Balkans - 2.5 weeks - Ljubljana and Lake Bled but south from there not sure.. Plitvice, Kotor, Dubrovnik, Sarajevo, Mostar, Belgrade all look good.

Scandanavia - 1 week - Copenhagen and Norwegian wilderness.

Western Europe - 2.5 weeks - Paris, Bordeaux, Berlin, Munich, Bruges.

UK - 1.5 weeks - London, Edinburgh, somewhere in the countryside.

Brugge is a definite if you're into history etc. unreal place.

Only other thing I'd say is maybe try get to Portugal whilst you're in Spain, or at least check out the basque region. Biarritz, San Sebastián and Bilbao are all great and Bilbao has the Guggenheim museum. You can get a train to Madrid from San Sebastián and then again to Barcelona if you skip Portugal

I reckon Lisbon is going to be the next Barcelona having said that, so get there whilst it's bearable. Great beaches, food and culture, not expensive at all. That goes for Porto as well.

Berlin will be good that time of the year, Munich even better. Depending on how you're planning on travelling you could conceivably go directly to Barcelona, across to the east of Spain, up to Paris, then train to Cologne, then across to Berlin, down to Munich and then onwards all on a rail pass.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brugge is a definite if you're into history etc. unreal place.

Only other thing I'd say is maybe try get to Portugal whilst you're in Spain, or at least check out the basque region. Biarritz, San Sebastián and Bilbao are all great and Bilbao has the Guggenheim museum. You can get a train to Madrid from San Sebastián and then again to Barcelona if you skip Portugal

I reckon Lisbon is going to be the next Barcelona having said that, so get there whilst it's bearable. Great beaches, food and culture, not expensive at all. That goes for Porto as well.

Berlin will be good that time of the year, Munich even better. Depending on how you're planning on travelling you could conceivably go directly to Barcelona, across to the east of Spain, up to Paris, then train to Cologne, then across to Berlin, down to Munich and then onwards all on a rail pass.
Cheers. Love the suggestions regarding Lisbon and the Basque region. Might have to cull the Scandinavian leg to do this. Makes sense and it would save us a lot of time and money.

Cheers. Love the suggestions regarding Lisbon and the Basque region. Might have to cull the Scandinavian leg to do this. Makes sense and it would save us a lot of time and money.

Me and a mate did the opposite of that a few years ago. Flew to Paris, train to Biarritz, bus to San Sebastián, bus to Pamplona (running of bulls festival), train to Barcelona, fly to Porto, train to Lisbon, hired a car and drove to faro, then flew to Hamburg, train to Berlin, train to Dortmund, train to koln, train to Brussels, train to Paris, home. 4 weeks total

What wadistance has said regarding getting from Barcelona to Munich would be a good idea as it gives you options for cutting though France either via Paris or Southern France if you rather leave Paris to latter in your trip. Munich is a great place as well as a setting off point for your Italy side of the trip (a train though the Brenner Pass would be my recommendation). If you decide that isn't for you can always go from Munich to Salzburg and then on to Vienna which opens up the Eastern Europe side of the trip and if you plan it right you should shoot out on Berlin. (I went Munich to Salzburg to Vienna to Prague to Berlin on my last trip over a space of 3 weeks)

Have just booked to go to Russia and Romania for a couple of weeks in June-July. Will spend most of my time in Russia, hopping over to Bucharest for five days. I lived in Moscow for four years so am familiar with Russia. This time I am taking the train to Yekaterinburg and back. However I have never been to Romania, despite wanting to go for a long time. Can't wait to see Transylvania. Anyone have any tips or any good day trips to Transylvania that you would recommend?

I quite liked Romania. I went to Sibiu, Cluj, Brasov and Iasi before going to Moldova and Transnistria and then to Bucharest so I can't help you too much with day trips unfortunately. Romania has a bit of a dodgy reputation (probably because of corruption and the Roma) but it's actually alright. You hear about a lot of scams but I didn't encounter any a part from a couple of taxi drivers and it was the same for everyone else I met. The taxis are hit and miss. They have a lot of different companies so I would highly recommend doing some research and listing which ones have a good reputation and which ones have a poor reputation. Some are also very similar in names and logos so be extra careful. There are some apps which you can use to get a taxi. Uber as well. You also get some really nice taxi drivers who are incredibly helpful as well. Romania also uses plastic banknotes.

Before you go it's worth reading up on the history of the country. Things will make a lot more sense once you're aware of what happened to the country and some of the crazy stuff about Ceausescu you're probably best off not asking the locals about unless they bring it up. The locals tend to be very friendly though.

Bucharest is a big city but five days with a day trip or two is probably enough. I would recommend doing one of the free walking tours at the start. The group that does it is called Walkabout. Easy way to see some of the sights and learn a bit about the city. Finding exact locations can be a bit of a pain in the ass in Bucharest. For accommodation and tourist attractions you won't have too many issues as the GPS will help you out (or download maps.me if you don't have internet access there) but if you're meeting someone always meet at a landmark as it might take you a while to figure out a street address due to their confusing address system. As for day trips I can't really help you there unfortunately as I didn't do any from Bucharest. Brasov is a couple of hours away. It has the appearance of a picturesque German Town and is worth visiting. A fair few tourists but not a ridiculous amount. They're yet to build an airport so that probably helps a bit. I didn't make it to Sinaia but that looks cool as well. Transfagarasan is awesome but it might be a bit too far from Bucharest unfortunately. If you end up in that area I would definitely recommend going there. It was probably the best sight I saw in Romania.

Hi All,

Started planning a three month trip to Europe starting late May next year. Here's a rough itinerary and would appreciate some tips and recommendations. We're a couple in our early 30s who enjoy all the usual stuff like history, food and wine, arts, wilderness, beaches, cities etc. Keen to get the right balance between relaxing and seeing as much as we can. Here are my initial thoughts in no specific order. Quite a bit at the moment but wil cull a few places here and there in due course. There's always next time..

Thanks.

Italy - 2 weeks - Rome, Positano, Florence, Tuscan countryside, Cinque Terra, Venice.

Spain - 2 weeks - Madrid, Bacelona, Granada, somewhere on the coast?

Eastern Europe - 2.5 - Krakow, Prague, Cezky Krumlov, Salzkammergut Lake District and Salzburg, Vienna, Budapest.

Balkans - 2.5 weeks - Ljubljana and Lake Bled but south from there not sure.. Plitvice, Kotor, Dubrovnik, Sarajevo, Mostar, Belgrade all look good.

Scandanavia - 1 week - Copenhagen and Norwegian wilderness.

Western Europe - 2.5 weeks - Paris, Bordeaux, Berlin, Munich, Bruges.

UK - 1.5 weeks - London, Edinburgh, somewhere in the countryside.
See less places and enjoy them more. Major cities like Paris, Berlin and Rome should have atleast 5 days minimum. It will make your experience infinitely better. Oh and rent a car and drive around for part of the holiday. Gives you some respite from the tourists and allows you to find some amazing towns on your own. Plus driving 150km per hour on the autobahns and driving through the winding mountains is awesome. Skip Bordeaux if you can. Not special and out of the way. Tuscan countryside between Rome, Florence and cinque Terre is awesome. Definitely drive between there. Some amazing hill top towns.

Last edited:
See less places and enjoy them more. Major cities like Paris, Berlin and Rome should have atleast 5 days minimum. It will make your experience infinitely better. Oh and rent a car and drive around for part of the holiday. Gives you some respite from the tourists and allows you to find some amazing towns on your own. Plus driving 150km per hour on the autobahns and driving through the winding mountains is awesome. Skip Bordeaux if you can. Not special and out of the way. Tuscan countryside between Rome, Florence and cinque Terre is awesome. Definitely drive between there. Some amazing hill top towns.

totally agree with this sentiment. Really wish I'd gone to the amalfi coast before I had a kid - still guess I can go there once I'm living over that side of the world.

Be careful with renting, some countries can be dodgy and sting you for the smallest of incidents. I had a mate who rented a car in spain, and tried to ping him for rust damage to the car. Be meticulous with your observations before you rent the car, and take thorough photos at the rental place for proof.

I find its pretty important to do a fair bit of research on each city on where you want to stay if you're going to be there for 4-5 days. Is there decent coffee nearby? Is it a good neighbourhood? Wheres the closest metro? Can I get out for a run somewhere nearby if I want a bit of space. Airbnb neighbourhoods are great for this. I ended up staying in Neukölln in Berlin and Canal St Martin in Paris - both are close to a waterway which gives you so much peace, along with heaps of unreal cafes, bars and restaurants on your doorstep, plus a metro station. In fact, I actually stayed in a hotel in Berlin near the Templehof airport - all hotels in Germany usually give you a buffet breakfast each morning as part of the fee - its a really good option to have as a way to start the morning... and they are often cheaper than airbnb in the popular cities.

https://www.airbnb.com.au/locations/paris/neighborhoods
https://www.airbnb.com.au/locations/berlin/neighborhoods

Give me a shout if you need some tips on individual cities in France or Germany, either here or by PM... coffee and hospitality is my area so I'm all too happy to help.

Random thought...

Spent last NYE in Berlin.

I have never seen a city lose its collective s**t like I did that night, and the wife and I were taking it easy.

Heading back this year to hit it hard. Cannot wait.

Would highly recommend.
did you buy fireworks? man i love that time of the year over there

I quite liked Romania. I went to Sibiu, Cluj, Brasov and Iasi before going to Moldova and Transnistria and then to Bucharest so I can't help you too much with day trips unfortunately. Romania has a bit of a dodgy reputation (probably because of corruption and the Roma) but it's actually alright. You hear about a lot of scams but I didn't encounter any a part from a couple of taxi drivers and it was the same for everyone else I met. The taxis are hit and miss. They have a lot of different companies so I would highly recommend doing some research and listing which ones have a good reputation and which ones have a poor reputation. Some are also very similar in names and logos so be extra careful. There are some apps which you can use to get a taxi. Uber as well. You also get some really nice taxi drivers who are incredibly helpful as well. Romania also uses plastic banknotes.

Before you go it's worth reading up on the history of the country. Things will make a lot more sense once you're aware of what happened to the country and some of the crazy stuff about Ceausescu you're probably best off not asking the locals about unless they bring it up. The locals tend to be very friendly though.

Bucharest is a big city but five days with a day trip or two is probably enough. I would recommend doing one of the free walking tours at the start. The group that does it is called Walkabout. Easy way to see some of the sights and learn a bit about the city. Finding exact locations can be a bit of a pain in the ass in Bucharest. For accommodation and tourist attractions you won't have too many issues as the GPS will help you out (or download maps.me if you don't have internet access there) but if you're meeting someone always meet at a landmark as it might take you a while to figure out a street address due to their confusing address system. As for day trips I can't really help you there unfortunately as I didn't do any from Bucharest. Brasov is a couple of hours away. It has the appearance of a picturesque German Town and is worth visiting. A fair few tourists but not a ridiculous amount. They're yet to build an airport so that probably helps a bit. I didn't make it to Sinaia but that looks cool as well. Transfagarasan is awesome but it might be a bit too far from Bucharest unfortunately. If you end up in that area I would definitely recommend going there. It was probably the best sight I saw in Romania.

Great info. Thanks.

Booked my train trip for Russia last night. Moscow - Nizhny Novgorod - Yekaterinburg - Novosibirsk. Staying in each place for a day or two. Flying back to Moscow.

did you buy fireworks? man i love that time of the year over there

haha...this guy knows...

Nah. We didn't get any. Had no idea it got like that actually, then from the afternoon of the 30th we're looking around wondering why the hell can we hear fireworks going off every couple of minutes.

Little did we know what was coming from the afternoon of the 31st...off its head.

Me and a mate did the opposite of that a few years ago. Flew to Paris, train to Biarritz, bus to San Sebastián, bus to Pamplona (running of bulls festival), train to Barcelona, fly to Porto, train to Lisbon, hired a car and drove to faro, then flew to Hamburg, train to Berlin, train to Dortmund, train to koln, train to Brussels, train to Paris, home. 4 weeks total
you must really like trains, airports and bus depots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back