Debut: Round 1, 1987 vs Richmond – 12th Eagles player

Games: 215

Goals: 259

Won: Premiership medals in 1992 and 1994
Club Champion in 1990
Team 20 selection in 2006
WCE Hall of Fame inductee in 2011
Indigenous Team of the Century selection in 2005

Departed: Retired at the end of the 2000 season.

Lewis first came to prominence during WA’s 1985 Teal Cup win as a member of the so-called “Magnificent Seven” along with future Eagles teammates Worsfold, McKenna, Sumich, Waterman, Peos and Watters.

Equal parts tenacious and silky-skilled, Lewis went on to become a member of the inaugural West Coast side that defeated Richmond in 1987. In the last game of that season he kicked a career-high 7 goals against St Kilda.

Lewis’ personal best season was probably 1990, when he picked up 9 Brownlow votes and the Club Champion medal, but he tasted the ultimate team success in 1992 and 1994 as a member of the victorious grand final sides.
20645.jpg

Lewis proudly displays his 1992 premiership medal and his favourite beanie as Tony Evans looks on

Lewis played 215 games, a remarkable achievement given the amount of times he was suspended during his career. He was something of a target for opposition players and often got rubbed out after retaliating, particularly in his earlier years. His transgressions included some unusual incidents, such as being suspended for biting the finger of Melbourne’s Todd Viney in 1991.

His 259 goals has him currently sitting third on the Eagles’ all-time list (although Lynch and LeCras are chasing him down).

Following his retirement Lewis has been honoured for his contribution to football by selection in the AFL’s Indigenous Team of the Century in 2005 and the West Coast Hall of Fame in 2011.

Where is he now? Lewis remains involved in footy as the indigenous welfare and talent manager at Swan Districts

Re: Past player of the week - Chris Lewis

I think Chris is working up North now , helping Indigenous kids .

Absolute superstar in 1990 and one of the all - time favourite Eagle players to watch and most talented .

Lewie was always one of my favourite players along with Brett Heady even though I was too young to understand the game. :)

Chris Lewis = absolute legend and my fav player back in the day !!

Reckon a 'few' of those suspensions were a direct result of actions that would now fall under the villification banner.

Freakin' love Chris Lewis.

I always thought we expected too much of him. We expected him to be the match winner week in, week out. But I don't think he was wired that way. His last two months of the 1990 season showed that he could turn it on like no others (still rate his end to that season as probably one of the best individual patches of form that any Eagle has ever had), but he did the less flashy stuff just as well.

My favourite Lewie moment was when he and Dwayne Lamb came out to my primary school in 1990. They took our footy team down to the local oval for training and one of the kids the year above me (smartarse that he always was) started cracking jokes about how s**t the Eagles were. These days, players would probably just ignore the kid and continue with what they were doing, but Lewie stopped in his tracks, looked at the kid and made him run laps for the whole training session. Every time the kid asked if he could stop - Lewie just made him run more.

Always hated that kid. Made me like Chris Lewis even more.

Freakin' love Chris Lewis.

I always thought we expected too much of him. We expected him to be the match winner week in, week out. But I don't think he was wired that way. His last two months of the 1990 season showed that he could turn it on like no others (still rate his end to that season as probably one of the best individual patches of form that any Eagle has ever had), but he did the less flashy stuff just as well.

My favourite Lewie moment was when he and Dwayne Lamb came out to my primary school in 1990. They took our footy team down to the local oval for training and one of the kids the year above me (smartarse that he always was) started cracking jokes about how s**t the Eagles were. These days, players would probably just ignore the kid and continue with what they were doing, but Lewie stopped in his tracks, looked at the kid and made him run laps for the whole training session. Every time the kid asked if he could stop - Lewie just made him run more.

Always hated that kid. Made me like Chris Lewis even more.

haha

Yeah Lewie came out to my school but this was after he retired, was asked something that not many people knew about him or what he did, and said he was a massive fan of Nintendo Gameboy haha and spent endless hours on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris Lewis is currently employed by Fortescue Metals Group at their Port Hedland train unloading, ship loading facility. He previously worked for BHP but was pinched by FMG just recently. As it turns out, he works quite closely with another former Eagle who also works for FMG in Port Hedland, Troy Ugle.

absolute champion,used to visit balga tafe when i was doing a pre-app bricklaying course there.And im tipping 100% of people would bite someones finger if they jammed it in your mouth (viney you are a disgrace)

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/24179797/lewis-calls-for-indigenous-reality-check/

Now living in Port Hedland with an eight-year-old daughter, Lewis has been working as a rail operator with FMG and is close to securing a train driving position in the coming months.
He has also recently found a new place in football as a reserves umpire in the North Pilbara Football League.

"It's nice and slow … my pace," he laughed.

"It's a mid-afternoon game and I can't see at dark, mate, so that keeps me out of the league games. Just putting something back into footy and nobody wants to umpire so I put my hand up. It gives me a little bit of fitness each week.

Imagine rocking up for a reserves game in the Pilbara and finding your umpire is Chris Lewis!

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/24179797/lewis-calls-for-indigenous-reality-check/

Imagine rocking up for a reserves game in the Pilbara and finding your umpire is Chris Lewis!

Loved the article, great to see Lewie kicking goals off field.

I'm old, remember his Dad, Irwin, who played for Claremont winning a premiership win in 1964 (on one half back flank & on the other was Ian Brayshaw). Tough bastard Irwin, a painter of note these days
http://www.indigenart.com.au/dynamic/display_ex.asp?id=260

3rd generation Lewis footballers in Eagles colours, how good would that be ....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back