Food & Drink The Hangar Beer Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

She's good to go

7d756cb0-94a1-4136-9e7e-f4ba447bedba.jpg
Bit down right now seeing that..ha..
sucking on a feral hop hog..which is nearly as good as it gets where I live but no slouch just the same

Not sold on the oily ones myself but will give it a shot if I come across it.

If the alcohol is hidden well, I'm the same, prefer the dry peaty texture - but this one was a pretty damn good one.

Bought myself one of those slabs of the Bombers beer that Colonial are making in limited edition.

It's a perfectly reasonable kolsch; won't blow your socks off but very good for a session. The wide mouth of the cans puzzles me a little; I'm not entirely sure what purpose it serves other than meaning you're more likely to get dust or other random particles in your beer and that you drink your beer quicker.

Bought myself one of those slabs of the Bombers beer that Colonial are making in limited edition.

It's a perfectly reasonable kolsch; won't blow your socks up but very good for a session. The wide mouth of the cans puzzles me a little; I'm not entirely sure what purpose it serves other than meaning you're more likely to dust in your beer and that you drink your beer quicker.

Challenge accepted.

It's a perfectly reasonable kolsch; won't blow your socks off but very good for a session. The wide mouth of the cans puzzles me a little; I'm not entirely sure what purpose it serves other than meaning you're more likely to get dust or other random particles in your beer and that you drink your beer quicker.
Yeah grabbed a couple myself, took one for the old man for father's day and the can opening was an odd one. As you said, nice without being special.

Do like that they used the good old VFL logo on the can. Spoke to the girl who was handing out the orders and she said they sold out very quick, might even be an annual thing if the sponsorship keeps going.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Calling all Stout hounds among us...

DapperDon
BrunoV
yodellinhank
Beerfish
Jade
fodzilla

View attachment 387052

One of the best. Smoky, oily, and with genuine maple notes. Get on it.
Excuse the intrusion but if you can find a Panhead Hardtail Henry Oaked stout the grab it. Stunning.

Also Mismatch Chocolate Oatmeal Stout is pretty tasty too.

As for other beers Garage Project do amazing s**t, especially if you like hoppy IPA's but their whole range is special. Pirate Life are good but their DIIPA is awesome.

If anyone can find an Akasha Korben DIIPA do yourself a favour. Sydney brewery so hard to find down here. Modus Operandi are another excellent Sydney based brewery but much more available.

Tried the new fad style recently, which was a New England IPA from Feral (I think). * me, outstanding. Get to Boilermaker House on Lonsdale, they may still have it on tap.

Excuse the intrusion but if you can find a Panhead Hardtail Henry Oaked stout the grab it. Stunning.

Also Mismatch Chocolate Oatmeal Stout is pretty tasty too.

As for other beers Garage Project do amazing s**t, especially if you like hoppy IPA's but their whole range is special. Pirate Life are good but their DIIPA is awesome.

If anyone can find an Akasha Korben DIIPA do yourself a favour. Sydney brewery so hard to find down here. Modus Operandi are another excellent Sydney based brewery but much more available.

Tried the new fad style recently, which was a New England IPA from Feral (I think). **** me, outstanding. Get to Boilermaker House on Lonsdale, they may still have it on tap.

Panhead do some cracking drops.

Not a massive fan of oatmeal stouts. Not bad, don't get me wrong, just not my favourite.

And you're never intruding when spreading the good word...

Panhead do some cracking drops.

Not a massive fan of oatmeal stouts. Not bad, don't get me wrong, just not my favourite.

And you're never intruding when spreading the good word...
Fair enough Jade. I like the thickness and feel of a good oatmeal and would take one over the imperial russians for example. They can get the alcho balance wrong given their high content. But most styles of stouts are just sooooo good. Love em.

Been trying a few of the Belgian farmhouse style beers where bacterias (esters?) are allowed to do their thing in the batch. Very interesting. Certainly not session beers but really cool to get into. Recommend.

Fair enough Jade. I like the thickness and feel of a good oatmeal and would take one over the imperial russians for example. They can get the alcho balance wrong given their high content. But most styles of stouts are just sooooo good. Love em.

Been trying a few of the Belgian farmhouse style beers where bacterias (esters?) are allowed to do their thing in the batch. Very interesting. Certainly not session beers but really cool to get into. Recommend.

Doss and I could tell you a thing or two about a good stout in a session...

...if we could remember them.

I'm with you in preferring an oatmeal over a Russian Imperial.

In general, though, I like my stouts like I like my scotch - smokey. I want them to taste like a cigar in a beer glass.

I got to thinking the other day: you know i don't think I've ever tried a black and tan. I'm not even sure the underpinnings of the concept. Is it to sweeten a bitter or take the edge off a stout? Does the amber have to be a certain type, lager or ale?

I got to thinking the other day: you know i don't think I've ever tried a black and tan. I'm not even sure the underpinnings of the concept. Is it to sweeten a bitter or take the edge off a stout? Does the amber have to be a certain type, lager or ale?
Not sure of the motivation or if there is any one standard.

I don’t think they do it anymore, but Grand Ridge used to produce one; it’s the only commercially produced one I’ve ever had. From memory they claimed it was a blend of their Hatlifter Stout and their standard (green label) Lager; whether that was actually the case or if it was just a dark lager in all but name I’m not sure.

It was nice though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back