Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:
I maybe a little cynical Madmug but I wouldn't trust that lot to acquire me a gatekeeper.
Remember the early years of TSL when tbey were insistent on all clubs having "CEO's".
I'm not sure whether they still do that now but AFL Tasmania highly recommended three to us and virtually put them in place.
One never attended a single game we played (he was playing SFL two's for another club as far as I recall and the rest of the time never went to games), another was suspected of being "a bit dodgy" (was never proven though) and the other got pulled up on a matchday driving the HFC club car pissed as newt by the fuzz and got arrested lol.
Fair to say the strike rate wasn't all that good lol!

I guess we do know the record of AFLTas & employees. Maybe a guy by the name of Morrison rings a bell?? So I guess we write what we would like to see happen with our football given we did actually have some capable & trustworthy stewards of the game in control. Maybe showing care for the game, rather than themselves. Maybe.

We cannot account for the 'governance' & 'behavioural' issues that seem to have beset the place over the last 20 years or so. Its just so disappointing.

Indeed the management from the top has given cause for concern for all that time. Now with the arrival of the Cheesemaker, with deference to the classics, It seems that 'all of a sudden, nothing changed'. :(

AFLTas remind me of a local council. Maybe Glenorchy council over the last few years. All self interest & no care for the punters. All ending up in a mess due to poor governance & maybe some other dubious financial & other behaviours.

So we live in hope. As usual.

For some reason we dont seem to get people who actually care.

I have been waiting for the roster to come out as well. I am particularly interested to see how they deal with the issue of only one team on the coast now. At least we wont have a bye anymore which wont be a bad thing.

I have been waiting for the roster to come out as well. I am particularly interested to see how they deal with the issue of only one team on the coast now. At least we wont have a bye anymore which wont be a bad thing.

Funny thing about bye's is that some people like them. I know some volunteers who like the odd bye. They get a weekend off!

Clubs cant plan anything until they get the roster. Club official functions, sponsors invites to games etc etc cant be done until AFLTas sort out the mess.

The AFL Tasmania website said the Office was closed from 21 December to 8 January so they have been back on deck for two weeks. Really poor that no Roster is out, but are we really surprised in that?
The SFL Roster has been out since the 24th December that is four weeks ago!

Reads like that NHFC are going to face an uphill battle for a while with key players leaving. Shame really.

Tigers would be optimistic for good year. Hearing Tom Couch will fly in and play for North Launny for a half dozen games and Ethan Petterwood returning from Werribee.

Will be interesting to see where the good Devonport Mariners end up. If they land at North or Launceston, it will be a hit for the NW Coast.

At this rate it'll be a Launceston v North Launy GF. Such is the imbalance in this mess of a league.

Reads like that NHFC are going to face an uphill battle for a while with key players leaving. Shame really.

Tigers would be optimistic for good year. Hearing Tom Couch will fly in and play for North Launny for a half dozen games and Ethan Petterwood returning from Werribee.

Will be interesting to see where the good Devonport Mariners end up. If they land at North or Launceston, it will be a hit for the NW Coast.
I think AFL Tas should watch the situation with the Mariners very closely. The Launceston sides have a big advantage already with only 2 teams in the comp and if they end up with the best talent from the coast as well that would be a disaster. Surely the coastal players should be zoned to the coastal team and if that doesnt happen Burnie may pull the pin as well.

The AFL Tasmania website said the Office was closed from 21 December to 8 January so they have been back on deck for two weeks. Really poor that no Roster is out, but are we really surprised in that?
The SFL Roster has been out since the 24th December that is four weeks ago!

I'm told the clubs have a revised roster. It has 3 byes in it. I havent seen it so I've no other info. I guess we'll get to see it soon.

I think AFL Tas should watch the situation with the Mariners very closely. The Launceston sides have a big advantage already with only 2 teams in the comp and if they end up with the best talent from the coast as well that would be a disaster. Surely the coastal players should be zoned to the coastal team and if that doesnt happen Burnie may pull the pin as well.
The trouble for the NW teams is when the young blokes head to Launceston for Uni. Can't begrudge an 18 year old wanting to live, play and train in the one spot.

I have no problem with young coastal players signing with the Launy or Hobart clubs if they move there for University studies but not every young player is a uni student and with a growing university campus in Burnie that is not as big an issue as it used to be. The point I was trying to make was that all players from the North West Coast should now be zoned to Burnie and a transfer fee payable if they are recruited by any other club as per the current rules. I cant see how anybody could suggest otherwise. It seems obvious the current 5/3 South/North makeup of the league is unfair to the southern clubs but its no reason why the clubs in each of the 3 regions shouldnt have the young players of their region zoned to their respective clubs.

We are so lucky at New Norfolk, got out of that State-wide garbage and have enjoyed success both on and off the field!

I feel for the TSL clubs playing in an under funded comp. Governed by people being over paid for no effectiveness or improving the comp.

Whats the real reason players want to leave North Hobart to Kingborough? I know Kingborough's new coach is from North but NH new coach was also an assistant last year. They either hate the new coach or love Kingborough's coach.

Whats the real reason players want to leave North Hobart to Kingborough? I know Kingborough's new coach is from North but NH new coach was also an assistant last year. They either hate the new coach or love Kingborough's coach.

$$$

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something else i was given last week.

Section 2 – new with overage criteria

2. PLAYER LISTS

2.1 PLAYER LISTS

2.1 Each club must place all TSL players on a list, which must not exceed seventy two (72) names except in the case of

Devonport whose list shall comprise 35 players plus 5 rookie players under the age of 18.

The initial TSL club list must be lodged with the Operations Manager no later than March 1st of that season.

2.2 All listed players must have satisfied the requirements of registration as stipulated in section 1 of these rules & regulations. This list will be referred to as the list.

In addition, clubs who have a team in the TSL Mercury Cup Competition, may nominate up to six (6) players at any one time to be referred to as overage players for the benefit of playing in this competition. Refer to 2.15

2.3 Eligible players may be added to or deleted from a club's list at any time but a club may only change their list six (6) times.

2.4 Any player who has been delisted and cleared to another club cannot be relisted without first being cleared back to his TSL club.

2.5 Players who have come from interstate may be included in a particular club's list, provided they are transferred from their former club and then registered with their new TSL club.

2.6 A player may not be included on the list of more than one club.

2.7 If a club makes alterations to its Player List, the deadline for such an alteration is 10.00am on the day prior to the League fixture. Such an alteration must be acknowledged by the TSL Operations Manager. Clubs may only make 6 alterations to their list in any one season

Penalty - $100

2.8 A player 19 years and over who is not listed by his zoned club may be registered and be listed by another club.

2.9 If a player 19 years and over is deleted from one club's player list he is eligible to be registered and listed by another club (see

Rule 1.6 Transfers).

2.10 The Operations Manager will peruse each club's list of players as circulated, or whenever requested to do so, to satisfy TSL

requirements that the lists are correct and will adjudicate in any areas of dispute by clubs.

2.11 Players may be listed even if they have been cleared to another Community/Country League Club. These players are known as

CCP players and must be shown as such on the list with the date that they were cleared

2.12 Listed CCP players aged 24 or older shall be allowed to remain on a clubs list for 12 months from when they are transferred to a community/country league. Following this period they become eligible to transfer through the arbitrator if agreement between clubs cannot be reached. They will remain on the clubs list marked as CCP players and marked on the Player management system to signify their eligibility for transfer. CCP players under 24 years of age may remain on the list.

2.13 CCP players shall be eligible for clearance to another TSL club following the period specified in 2.1.12 even though they may not meet the eligibility requirements of rule 1.6.3

2.14 A player cannot play TSL matches unless they are listed players.

2.15 Listed players over the age of 23 (as at January 1) may play senior grade only unless exemption has been sought and approved to play in the Mercury Cup. This will apply to a maximum of six (6) players at any one time of which only four (4 will be permitted to participate that grade in any one match.

Applications for such exemptions will not be received or considered by TSL Management after June 30.

The criteria shall include but not be limited to:

a) The player must have played a minimum of 60% of his immediate previous games at TSL senior level or be a new player to the TSL Competition.

b) The player must have and maintain an exemplary tribunal record – low level offences will be excluded from this criterion

c) A player may only play in a maximum of six (6) matches in the season (including finals) in the Mercury Cup

d) Bona fide approved playing coaches shall not be limited to the six (6) match maximum but will be included in the cap for list and team.

e) Players returning from injury where that player has missed at least three (3) immediately previouas consecutive matches due to that injury and where they satisfy the above points may play in one (1) match without approval or listing but shall be part of and not in addition to the four (4) player cap. Application for injured players should include supporting evidence from a medical officer detailing the nature of the injury and “return to play” timeline.

f) The TSL reserves the right to approve or deny any application subject the requirements set out in this rule.

I'm sure this draw will have positives and negatives for all clubs but there is a couple of interesting things in it for Burnie. Round 3 game against Clarence is at the new venue in Penguin which I think is a good thing. Dockers now have 6 games in Hobart which makes it harder for them and one strange thing is that both of Burnie's games against North Launceston are in Launceston, no home game against the Bombers which doesn't seem right.

Well not surprised if this turns out to be True, as it is "Groundhog Day" again just like SWL ver 1.0, once one coastal team goes the other follows, Are many jobs going in the Dairy Industry for a CEO who dabbled unsuccessfully in Sports Admin?

To quote one of the comments from "Tasmanian football scores news".... "Footy in Tasmania is f__ked"

Last edited:
Would like to say it's a farce.
But that would be to kind to the administration. End of January and nobody knows what's happening.

Last edited:
what a joke

The AFL won't lift a finger as per usual.

The probably is, people involved in the league and working their butts off to keep their clubs going, and anytime they have concerns they are shot down and belted around the head if you go public with them.

It's alleged people from AFL tas have told players from Devonport to go to Launceston or North Launceston? Why would you allow this to happen? For the benefit of the competition wouldn't you demand they go to burnie given their current state? It's almost like they are deliberately trying to sabotage the comp. Can also tell you that clubs have been told they won't have their mariners round 1 as they need two weeks off before their first game. Great stuff fellas, just what clubs need when they already have young lists and rely on those players.

According to Brett Costello facebook post in the last hour

"AFL Tasmania CEO Rob Auld has just faced the media and says the TSL is here to stay with or without Burnie Dockers. Catch all the fallout from a dramatic day in local footy in WIN News Tasmania at 6pm"

A statewide League with five Southern Teams and two Northern teams and no Costal teams a bit like the TFL in 1986 in the words of Darryl Kerrigan Brett
“TELL HIM HE’S DREAMIN'”

It's alleged people from AFL tas have told players from Devonport to go to Launceston or North Launceston? Why would you allow this to happen? For the benefit of the competition wouldn't you demand they go to burnie given their current state? It's almost like they are deliberately trying to sabotage the comp. Can also tell you that clubs have been told they won't have their mariners round 1 as they need two weeks off before their first game. Great stuff fellas, just what clubs need when they already have young lists and rely on those players.
In reference to the Bolded Statement Still Kickin, that is Common Sense, unfortunately a concept that is foreign to AFL Tasmania.

Last edited:
According to Brett Costello facebook post in the last hour

"AFL Tasmania CEO Rob Auld has just faced the media and says the TSL is here to stay with or without Burnie Dockers. Catch all the fallout from a dramatic day in local footy in WIN News Tasmania at 6pm"

A statewide League with five Southern Teams and two Northern teams and no Costal teams a bit like the TFL in 1986 in the words of Darryl Kerrigan Brett
“TELL HIM HE’S DREAMIN'”

In reference to the Bolded Statement Still Kickin, that is Common Sense, unfortunately a concept that is foreign to AFL Tasmania.

I couldn't agree more. I know that a member of AFL Tas staff was recently challenged on the fact there were whispers that players had been told to go to launceston or North Launceston but were of course denied, even though they had come from parents of two players.

Frustrating is an understatement.

Reading Steven Dowlings comments in the advocates report, he said they have had a total of 35 players training and have called on anyone interested in playing to come along to a function. Thats about where tassie footy is at when one of the states premier clubs for the last god knows how long has to beg for players to play in what is supposed to be the best comp in the state.

I couldn't agree more. I know that a member of AFL Tas staff was recently challenged on the fact there were whispers that players had been told to go to launceston or North Launceston but were of course denied, even though they had come from parents of two players.

Frustrating is an understatement.

Reading Steven Dowlings comments in the advocates report, he said they have had a total of 35 players training and have called on anyone interested in playing to come along to a function. Thats about where tassie footy is at when one of the states premier clubs for the last god knows how long has to beg for players to play in what is supposed to be the best comp in the state.
I have heard the same thing about the Devonport players being told to go to the Launceston clubs, what a disgrace. AFL Tas have a lot to answer for in regards to this and they need to give an honest answer to the public on this issue and I think Rob Auld should be asked by the next person who interviews him to answer this question. Reports that every member of the Mariners squad from Devonport have signed with the 2 Launceston clubs seems to confirm this story. Looks like half the coast has been allocated as a recruiting zone to the 2 Launceston clubs as well as their own area of greater Launceston. No wonder the comp is going down the drain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back