Senior Cam Rayner (2017-)

Remove this Banner Ad

I love how easily the convo flows between them. Bit nervous at the start but by the end it's a couple of mates catching up. Can't wait to see this kid settle in to our team.

His 5 goal haul is probably seen as the main feature of this highlights package, however, some of his marks and tackles were outstanding in this game. Can't wait to see him bring those talents to the senior side.

Dayne Zorko says Cameron Rayner is a 'bull' and ready to enjoy his AFL ride

Brisbane Lions star Dayne Zorko has declared that No.1 draft pick Cameron Rayner is a "bull" who is likely to make a splash in his maiden AFL season.

Rayner has impressed coaches and teammates during his first pre-season, through his work ethic, a willingness to learn and natural skill.

"He is quite the talent, Cam. He is someone who has made an impact straight away. His aggression towards the ball, his ability to impose himself on even the practice matches we have played, although it has probably only been in little snippets, you can definitely see the kid has a great future," Zorko said.

"He, along with all the other kids we have drafted this year, has come in with a really strong work ethic. You never want to talk them up too much, but I am really impressed with what I have seen at the moment."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...dy-to-enjoy-his-afl-ride-20180205-h0ueoh.html

I love Zorks and I love Rayner but sometimes I wish Zorks would keep his opinions to himself. Some of his statements to the press in the past haven't been all that clever,

The kid can proably handle the pressure of expectation but why create more?
I dont think he has said anything too bad or wrong. Reporter has obviiously asked about Rayner and he has just told them what he has witnessed. Hasn't said he is the next Abblett or something.

I love Zorks and I love Rayner but sometimes I wish Zorks would keep his opinions to himself. Some of his statements to the press in the past haven't been all that clever,

The kid can proably handle the pressure of expectation but why create more?

For one, his comments were hardly groundbreaking. Secondly, he's the number one draft pick, name one who hasnt been talked up to kingom come?

Tbh don't even know that is so I'll give you that ;)
Brisbane’s pick 1 in 1991 draft. From WA. Played one season. Went to Sydney and delisted after another season. Played in Freo’s first season but again only lasted a season. Came in with a reputation as a goalkicker which he was but still a left field selection.

Brisbane’s pick 1 in 1991 draft. From WA. Played one season. Went to Sydney and delisted after another season. Played in Freo’s first season but again only lasted a season. Came in with a reputation as a goalkicker which he was but still a left field selection.

He did have had a one off performance for the Bears though:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hutton_(footballer)

43 goals from 18 games seems like a pretty fair return in 2018 terms but i guess it just goes to show the different paradigm that was expected from Full Forwards in 80's and 90's football.

Back then , anything under 80 or so goals for the season and you were considered a dud.

Kick 75 now and you are a big show for the Coleman.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

43 goals from 18 games seems like a pretty fair return in 2018 terms but i guess it just goes to show the different paradigm that was expected from Full Forwards in 80's and 90's football.

Back then , anything under 80 or so goals for the season and you were considered a dud.

Yeah, he also did Ok in terms of goals in his one season at Sydney but even for those times he was very one dimensional. He really wasn't tall or versatile enough to play anywhere but FF or forward pocket.

Completely different game style then. Hutton would generally bob up for one or two a game but other than that would have no impact whatsoever on play. This was nowhere near enough output for a guy who was supposed to be the focal point for the whole team.

Back to Rayner.

From what I've seen of him at training, I've been impressed by his application to the defensive side of his game.

I think defensive forward pressure is going to be key to the side as it develops. Over the last few years, it's been almost sickening the way our oppositions have waltzed out of our own forward 50, transitioning with ease and sometimes scoring almost at will at the other end. The lack of two way running has also had a lot to do with it.

Not any more I say with cautious optimism. With Rayner and Cameron roaming around in our forward half, I'm expecting a significant improvement in this area.

Back to Rayner.

From what I've seen of him at training, I've been impressed by his application to the defensive side of his game.

I think defensive forward pressure is going to be key to the side as it develops. Over the last few years, it's been almost sickening the way our oppositions have waltzed out of our own forward 50, transitioning with ease and sometimes scoring almost at will at the other end. The lack of two way running has also had a lot to do with it.

Not any more I say with cautious optimism. With Rayner and Cameron roaming around in our forward half, I'm expecting a significant improvement in this area.
Will need to build his endurance in order to apply the defensive pressure consistently, however, tackling is definitely one of his biggest strength's. I feel comfortable already listing him as one of the best tackler's at the club. I think quite a few unsuspecting opposition players will learn the hard way that he isn't easy to fend off this year.

Team: Rayner to debut against Saints

Number one draft pick Cam Rayner will make his AFL debut for the Brisbane Lions on Saturday against St Kilda at Etihad Stadium.

Rayner has had an impressive pre-season and tallied 10 tackles and 13 disposals in the last JLT Series hit-out against the Gold Coast Suns to book his place in the team. The 18-year-old will slot into the forward line.

Beams backs Rayner to impact
Michael Whiting, AFL.com.au March 24, 2018 9:29 AM

While Cam Rayner has been widely compared to Brownlow medalist Dustin Martin, Brisbane Lions skipper Dayne Beams has likened the No.1 draft pick to another AFL player.

Beams said Rayner reminded him of Port Adelaide leader Ollie Wines.

"He's a monstrous young man," Beams said.

"He reminds me of Ollie Wines. He's a real big kid that hits hard and is going to make an impact straight away.

"I don't want to put a heap of pressure on him, but I think he's got all the attributes to be a really good AFL player."

Rayner will debut against St Kilda on Saturday after an almost flawless first pre-season with the Lions.

The more popular comparison coming out of the under-18s was to Martin, as Rayner shares similar power, an ability to play forward and midfield and at the time shared a similar haircut.

But Beams says it's Rayner's willingness to take contact that draws his comparison to Wines.

In his first season for Port, Wines made an immediate impact both individually and at a team level, and Beams thinks Rayner can do the same.

The Lions captain got a first-hand glimpse during the pre-season at exactly what Rayner could do.

"He tackles hard. That's one thing he has done," Beams said.

"He didn't tackle me, but early on in the pre-season we were doing a kicking drill and he came across and hit me really hard and I turned around to see who it was.

"I was going to give them a bake and I saw it was Cam and I didn't mind that, I rated it.

"I thought 'you've got that aggression'.

"It doesn't matter who it is he's going to hit them. I'm really looking forward to watching his career develop."

Rayner had a team-high 10 tackles in Brisbane's second JLT Community Series game against Gold Coast to help earn him a Round 1 debut.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2018-03-24/beams-backs-rayner

He didn't look out of place at the game, he's huge for his age. Will be a real weapon in the forward line until he improves his tank and spends more time in the midfield.

Rayner praised by teammates

Brisbane rookie Cameron Rayner has taken the lavish praise of legendary teammate Luke Hodge in his stride as he prepares for his maiden game at the Gabba.

The No.1 draft pick caught the eye in his debut on the weekend, kicking a goal and throwing his weight around in the forward line despite only managing eight touches in a 25-point loss to St Kilda.

His performance was enough for teammate and former Hawthorn great Luke Hodge to label the 18-year-old "a jet" in the making at the Lions.

"Hodgey and the rest of the boys have given me lots of support which has given me plenty of confidence," Rayner said.

"Not having that added pressure of the blokes makes me more comfortable to go out there and do my thing."

Rayner said their assurances had also calmed him down on the field, but that more composure was needed against Melbourne on Saturday night.

"There was glimpses in the game (against St Kilda) where we moved it well, but (we) probably just got a bit excited and tried to move it a little too quickly," he said.

The Gabba clash will be foreign ground for both Rayner and Hodge, with the side restricted to only a handful of training runs at the venue during the pre-season.

It will be Hodge's first game at the venue since April 2008, in a contest which staggeringly marked his only Gabba victory in his 17-season AFL career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back