Social Off Topic Thread - Revival of the House of Dastardly Crax

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol I'm sure it's fantastic but I'm not spending that much on a TV.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'd prefer to save up for a good TV instead of wasting $$$ on a TV that will be out of date in six months

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'd prefer to save up for a good TV instead of wasting $$$ on a TV that will be out of date in six months
You would not be able to handle my tv if you couldn't hold onto that Samsung for more than six months.

Either way the higher end stuff gets replaced more quickly. It's a longer cycle for the middle-tier stuff to be replaced.

My brother's family only has one in the house and it's a plasma from like about 2006...

They don't really watch much at all though.
Plasmas are the worst though! Mine is still better than that, a small 720p LED from late 2011.

You would not be able to handle my tv if you couldn't hold onto that Samsung for more than six months.

Either way the higher end stuff gets replaced more quickly. It's a longer cycle for the middle-tier stuff to be replaced.
Well that's not true at all. I have a Samsung TV that's old, well not in terms of my Philips TV which I bought in 1984 + only replaced in 2008 :p

Bought a Sony flat screen, which was terrific. The Samsung was my Mum's, which she bought in 2011, so it's quite old, considering the way some people upgrade every year or so. It's only a longer cycle now for the middle tier TVs now, because the technology was improved. The technology is always improving + the OLED will be equal to that middle tier soon.

If I was in the market for a new TV, I'm just simply saying that I'd prefer to save $$$ for a better quality picture, especially for watching footy. The Samsung I have has a very high something ? so the picture is good for footy, doesn't distort like other TVs around at that time. It cost more, but the extra $$$ was worth it. Although it was new technology back then, it has lasted.

When I was in the shop the shop there was a $2k Samsung sitting next to it that was definitely better and had a very nice ultra slim almost non existent edge which I really liked. It was maybe, I dunno I'll say it was 20% better overall than the cheaper TV. I could comfortably afford it but is it worth paying twice the amount of money for is the question though?

Sorry the other one is still a good TV and far from rubbish that is hardly going to 'outdate' anytime soon.

PS I don't think spending 2k is stupid either just depends on how you value things.

When I was in the shop the shop there was a $2k Samsung sitting next to it that was definitely better and had a very nice ultra slim almost non existent edge which I really liked. It was maybe, I dunno I'll say it was 20% better overall than the cheaper TV. I could comfortably afford it but is it worth paying twice the amount of money for is the question though?

Sorry the other one is still a good TV and far from rubbish that is hardly going to 'outdate' anytime soon.

PS I don't think spending 2k is stupid either just depends on how you value things.

Totally understand what you're saying about the cheaper Samsung being a good TV + also, while technology is improving all the time, it's not improving at the same rate it was when flat screens first appeared.

It is exactly how you value things! People buy furniture from IKEA, while I prefer to buy antiques at auction. Most people immediately assume that antiques are expensive - they're not, you just have to know where to find them. Like anything, it's important to have knowledge + that is my area - fine art + decorative art. For example, I recently bought a beautifully carved, late 19thC Buffet with a marble top + ormolu embellishments for $340 - at auction. Checked IKEA, who had a similar sideboard for $399, which is melamine, has to be assembled + will fall apart in 10 years. I just can't see the value in the IKEA sideboard, compared to the cherry wood buffet I bought, with the amount of work in the carving, the marble top + ormolu fittings - to me it's also more beautiful. While it's not everyone's taste, there are so many styles of antiques. Also the new Asian, chunky, knock-off copies of antiques are more expensive than reproduction antiques from the late 19thC + early 20thC.

Regarding the $2k Samsung, no, it's not worth paying double for a TV that is only 20% better than the cheaper one. What is a 'good' TV is very subjective. It's what is good for you.

'I' think it's probably worth buying the LG OLED TV because of the superior picture quality. It is for me anyway, as a very visual person, important to have:
  • accurate colour as in THX certification;
  • OLED TVs have superior - unrivalled levels of black reproduction - every pixel in the panel is capable of creating its own light, which means there's no need for any backlighting to shine through from the back of your TV;
  • depth with high contrast ratio + the ability to reproduce very dark darks + very bright lighted areas - exceptional contrast improves colour;
  • microprocessor chips with enough power to move large numbers of pixels, software to make the most of the of the dual core processor;
  • the TV's ability to maintain a high quality image at the highest resolutions, in the fastest-moving scenes - like footy.
  • Sound is important to me, also;
  • What I seek in a TV is to have the best cinema quality at home;
  • Streaming Netflix with a superior TV, like 4K ULTRA HD TVs, improves the viewing experience.
But as I said above, it's very subjective - enjoying beauty is crucial to me, it's why I seek to surround 'my World' with beautiful things, like antiques, art, a sculpted garden. While others place importance on their car or sporting equipment.

Please understand, I'm not saying other opinions are wrong, I'm simply putting forward my opinion + what is important in a TV for me.

Plasmas are the worst though! Mine is still better than that, a small 720p LED from late 2011.
I've never been sold on Plasma. Unsure about curved TVs too, what are their advantages?

When I lived in Paddington, my immediate neighbour was a 'status' oriented person, who had to have the newest gadget. The day flat screen TVs first became available, he bought a $40k a Grundig. During the Mardi Gras that year, burglars broke in to his house + slid the TV through the security bars of their front window! Neighbours sitting on their balconies watched in horror, we all rang '000', yet despite the huge police presence only 300m away, none were available to attend the burglary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the 4k tv thing is such BS.

4k dvd's and stuff shot in 4k is great. No question.

Problem is, hardly anything is shot in true 4k.

Then, practically nothing is transmitted in 4k by the networks.
Then, streaming services try to stream in 4k but the compression needed to get down the bandwith requires the 4k squished down so much that its crap by the time it gets to you.

FOX in the US shoots stuff in 2k and 4k.

An EVERYTHING Fox transmits from master control is 720.

SO your brilliant 4k tv's are getting 720 and upscaling it. Nothing 4k or 2k native about it. Hell, it aint even 1080p.

Point is, the blurbs are great......and full of s**t.
Go Catters

the 4k tv thing is such BS.

4k dvd's and stuff shot in 4k is great. No question.

Problem is, hardly anything is shot in true 4k.

Then, practically nothing is transmitted in 4k by the networks.
Then, streaming services try to stream in 4k but the compression needed to get down the bandwith requires the 4k squished down so much that its crap by the time it gets to you.

FOX in the US shoots stuff in 2k and 4k.

An EVERYTHING Fox transmits from master control is 720.

SO your brilliant 4k tv's are getting 720 and upscaling it. Nothing 4k or 2k native about it. Hell, it aint even 1080p.

Point is, the blurbs are great......and full of s**t.
Go Catters
Cheers Daz. So do you have a recommended TV?

Cheers Daz. So do you have a recommended TV?
I personally stick with Sony.

Some people like Samsung - but in all honesty they are all pretty much close to each other and you get what you pay for mostly.

The technology in them is great - but only if you can take advantage of it. My point was dont buy something that wont give you a return.

And of $$ is no object, some of that OLED stuff is insane.

Go Catters

At CES this year Samsung actually released a modular tv. Basically it works the same way led video walls do..
you can make it any shape or size and the processor detects it’s size, numbe rid panels, umber if pixels and configures aspect ratios to fit it .. and it’s like a 2 mm resolution.

And it’s retail. And itS about 10k lol..

But the tech and concept is awesome

Go Catters

We could be like WA... Produce s**t test players AND never win the shield.
You must be so proud of that mediocrity.

As for Bots. You're a Victorian.
You disgust me.
Personally I'm more disgusted that he turned his back on his beloved Richmond so soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back