Picola & District 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
In regards to your second point above about junior numbers in other leagues, would you like to elaborate a little please, just to put it in context please, especially in relation to location, thanks.

In regards to U11's it is interesting to see the different approach taken by different clubs with this as I have been told some have the little ones train weekly and some don't. Haven't seen many of the games but wonder if that is reflected in the games?
Appears as though the information I received was not correct . It would appear to have in fact been an elim and there were only 10 and 4 on permit , I assume that's what the * indicates and that all those listed played ??
The opposition appears to have had 16 , with only one club having more than 17 including permit players in an u18 comp.
http://websites.sportstg.com/round_...125197049&c=1-57-0-480194-0&pool=1001

Last edited:
Appears as though the information I received was not correct . It would appear to have in fact been an elim and there were only 10 and 4 on permit , I assume that's what the * indicates and that all those listed played ??
The opposition appears to have had 16 , with only one club having more than 17 including permit players in an u18 comp.
http://websites.sportstg.com/round_...125197049&c=1-57-0-480194-0&pool=1001

the * used to refer to overage players, not sure if that has changed, but according to the rules outlined around permit players they are only allowed to play finals if their home club isn't playing finals and they had already played the set number of games on permit. Clubs would be more likely to have applied for a late clearance dispensation than muck around with permits in finals I would have thought.

the * used to refer to overage players, not sure if that has changed, but according to the rules outlined around permit players they are only allowed to play finals if their home club isn't playing finals and they had already played the set number of games on permit. Clubs would be more likely to have applied for a late clearance dispensation than muck around with permits in finals I would have thought.
My understanding is that no more than 2 overages were allowed per club .

mixed emotions , thank you for your excellent post. (copied below:))
On a few issues:
Super job by Jerilderie on saturday hosting
-> Agreed, the manner they handled the parking was excellent, keeping a track of the limited spaces available inside the grounds and allowing extras to top up as attendees left, Only thing was (and not a Jerilderie issue) the number of participants in the half time sprint was disappointing
Rennie had 23 under 17, but normally 20/21 to pick from any given day and in prelim had an under 14 on the bench
Decision re Joel O'Dwyer in the 1's not 3's was made early primarily at that stage because of lack of any depth in 1's, but he then comfortably held his spot all year and was super in grand final decision made with family and 3's coach support
-> thanks for that info, please excuse me if you got the impression I was critical of O'Dwyer not playing thirds in my original post, it was merely an observation as to the outcome/progression of the different teams who had similar senarios but whose boys played both grades.
Continue to love the sub rule
-> believe this is being much better managed by clubs than when initially introduced, when often the boys were pulled off the field in thirds to save themselves for seniors, then just ended up sitting on the bench all day. I have seen how that annoyed both the players involved and their teammates.
One area though, after talking to various people at various clubs, that I do think could do with consideration is the inclusion of games selected as sub counting as senior games when determining eligibility for the rising star nominations. I was told that last years rising star had his senior games 'managed' (hence playing so many reserves games including the GF when he was BOG) to ensure when he was best likely to win the award his was still eligible, whereas this year there were a few boys ineligible due to the number of games they had been selected as the sub previously. I believe this is unfair as in many clubs the sub role is either unable to be or the club chooses not to 'share it around', and in reality with the limited time these boys get on field playing they are unlikely to ever 'do enough' to actually receive nominations. I believe O'Dwyer is a very worthy recipient this year but also believe there were others around the league worthy of nominations and recognition but were ineligible.

In a 13 team draw which is always going to be skewed an 8 is a good idea and i am happy to play 4 finals over first weekend, will never be perfect scheduling, but do not want an extra week of finals
-> agreed
Do we want 4 teams back???
-> maybe but don't think they want back do they - or are there others from elsewhere wanting in? Are we likely to lose any of the current clubs and what criteria should the league be putting on clubs in regards to filling all age groups? Previously the league voted not to accept a new club as they didn't have thirds signed up ready to go (although they indicated they would get them), that year every club have all four football sides - but this year that wasn't the case, again, as it has been previously.
Do we want 2 divisions???
-> Personally no, either like the number of clubs to match playing each other twice - home and away, OR enough teams to only play every club ONCE, and have interleague bye (if wanting to repeat/expand this years junior games, maybe making it under 14, 16, 18/19?, assuming seniors not interested) and a general bye if even number of clubs, or fixtured bye if odd. Might seem idealistic but isn't that what we should be aiming for?
Good umpires were excellent during year but there are some very questionable ones
-> league needs to look seriously at club feedback in this area and not just dismiss it as appears to have been the case, what is the old saying - if you pay peanuts you get monkeys?
Under 11's train weekly at hoppers
-> is this what happens with most clubs?
I thought i heard on the stream a $35k gate

mixed emotions , thank you for your excellent post. (copied below:))
On a few issues:
Super job by Jerilderie on saturday hosting
-> Agreed, the manner they handled the parking was excellent, keeping a track of the limited spaces available inside the grounds and allowing extras to top up as attendees left, Only thing was (and not a Jerilderie issue) the number of participants in the half time sprint was disappointing
Rennie had 23 under 17, but normally 20/21 to pick from any given day and in prelim had an under 14 on the bench
Decision re Joel O'Dwyer in the 1's not 3's was made early primarily at that stage because of lack of any depth in 1's, but he then comfortably held his spot all year and was super in grand final decision made with family and 3's coach support
-> thanks for that info, please excuse me if you got the impression I was critical of O'Dwyer not playing thirds in my original post, it was merely an observation as to the outcome/progression of the different teams who had similar senarios but whose boys played both grades.
Continue to love the sub rule
-> believe this is being much better managed by clubs than when initially introduced, when often the boys were pulled off the field in thirds to save themselves for seniors, then just ended up sitting on the bench all day. I have seen how that annoyed both the players involved and their teammates.
One area though, after talking to various people at various clubs, that I do think could do with consideration is the inclusion of games selected as sub counting as senior games when determining eligibility for the rising star nominations. I was told that last years rising star had his senior games 'managed' (hence playing so many reserves games including the GF when he was BOG) to ensure when he was best likely to win the award his was still eligible, whereas this year there were a few boys ineligible due to the number of games they had been selected as the sub previously. I believe this is unfair as in many clubs the sub role is either unable to be or the club chooses not to 'share it around', and in reality with the limited time these boys get on field playing they are unlikely to ever 'do enough' to actually receive nominations. I believe O'Dwyer is a very worthy recipient this year but also believe there were others around the league worthy of nominations and recognition but were ineligible.

In a 13 team draw which is always going to be skewed an 8 is a good idea and i am happy to play 4 finals over first weekend, will never be perfect scheduling, but do not want an extra week of finals
-> agreed
Do we want 4 teams back???
-> maybe but don't think they want back do they - or are there others from elsewhere wanting in? Are we likely to lose any of the current clubs and what criteria should the league be putting on clubs in regards to filling all age groups? Previously the league voted not to accept a new club as they didn't have thirds signed up ready to go (although they indicated they would get them), that year every club have all four football sides - but this year that wasn't the case, again, as it has been previously.
Do we want 2 divisions???
-> Personally no, either like the number of clubs to match playing each other twice - home and away, OR enough teams to only play every club ONCE, and have interleague bye (if wanting to repeat/expand this years junior games, maybe making it under 14, 16, 18/19?, assuming seniors not interested) and a general bye if even number of clubs, or fixtured bye if odd. Might seem idealistic but isn't that what we should be aiming for?
Good umpires were excellent during year but there are some very questionable ones
-> league needs to look seriously at club feedback in this area and not just dismiss it as appears to have been the case, what is the old saying - if you pay peanuts you get monkeys?
Under 11's train weekly at hoppers
-> is this what happens with most clubs?
I thought i heard on the stream a $35k gate
Who was the club the league knocked back ?
Do you know the amount umpires are being paid ?
Do you know all feedback the league has received on umpires ( I mean actual written feedback pointing out specific issues or providing evidence ) and does this represent the majority of minority ?
Can you also elaborate a little more on your allegation re rising star. As in whom you are talking about / division etc

Who was the club the league knocked back ?
Do you know the amount umpires are being paid ?
Do you know all feedback the league has received on umpires ( I mean actual written feedback pointing out specific issues or providing evidence ) and does this represent the majority of minority ?
Can you also elaborate a little more on your allegation re rising star. As in whom you are talking about / division etc

From memory, I believe the club who wanted to join our SE division was called Samaria Suns

Sorry, I thought I had heard that the current umpires were paid less than the previous organisation - maybe I was misinformed
Sorry, I thought I had heard that clubs had taken concerns to the league about specific umpires - maybe I was misinformed.
Sorry, I am not going to name specific individuals on here for you, one was mentioned around the beginning of the season and I heard from other clubs during the year they also had the same/similar situation and will again going forward. I would suggest you talk directly to clubs if you want specific names. It was merely an observation that I thought could be looked into.

35k gate / $16 to get in = 2188 people.
Under 17s don’t pay??
88 footballers wouldn’t of paid to get in
Neither would 120 netballeres
So that’s 208 junior players
Add 50 league officials n umpires
2188 + 208 + 50 = 2446
I will be generus and say 300 ppl bought finals passes
So 2746
Do you think there was 1254 kids at the game watchin??
I am pretty sure past stats have suggested as many under 17's attend as adults.

Edit: whilst over 1/3rd of paying patrons are concession holders , therefore making the average price closer to $13.

Last edited:
Big congrats to PDFNL clubs who again had big representation in other local competitions finals and in particular grand final where they all played major parts.
Holland (bog in GVFL granny) and Boyd ( close to bog in MFL prelim) , Jorgenson ( important goals in MFL GF as well as team of the year and rookie of the year )
Ryan ( key role in midfield in GVFL grand final ) strathmerton and wardle ( important goal late in the 3rd in GVFL to give shepp the sniff they needed ) Ash ( good in both prelim and grand final ) Katandra juniors when in PDFNL.

Big congrats to PDFNL clubs who again had big representation in other local competitions finals and in particular grand final where they all played major parts.
Holland (bog in GVFL granny) and Boyd ( close to bog in MFL prelim) , Jorgenson ( important goals in MFL GF as well as team of the year and rookie of the year )
Ryan ( key role in midfield in GVFL grand final ) strathmerton and wardle ( important goal late in the 3rd in GVFL to give shepp the sniff they needed ) Ash ( good in both prelim and grand final ) Katandra juniors when in PDFNL.

Great to see district leagues starting the careers of so many players. No doubt that these players will return ‘home’ when their major league days are over.

Healthy major and minor leagues are very important for the game, our communities and our families.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Add ex katunga and waaia junior Doug wren who won rochester's b&f to the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

9 teams is ideal for community football leagues. Team can play each other twice in 18 rounds and have 2 byes. It also allows for the superior Final 5 to come back.

Interesting times.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
In the perfect world you may be correct , however reality is that there is more often than not 1 club who doesn't have a side or isn't strong in a particular grade . This often results in a club having multiple weeks without a specific grade playing , with general byes , which leads to players going elsewhere, something I am sure you'd be aware of .
Top 5 in a smallish comp can also see the minor premier go into the grandfinal with bugger all footy in the month or so leading up to it , especially if they've copped the bye late in the year.
Admittedly the arguement on whether that is good or bad is divided .
Then you also have the likelihood of less sides being involved in finals/ best and fairest counts etc etc.
I may be wrong be but my understanding is most were very happy with the return to 1 larger comp and a top 8, which saw 4 different premiers over the 4 grades.
Whilst IIRC 12 of the 13 had at least 1 side who played finals footy.

Last edited:
If there is a review being done re league, admin and structure as part of the new agreement how can 4 clubs who are not affiliated be allowed to contribute. They chose to move. Anything that they"contribute" must be immediately deleted. Good to see AFLGM changing rules again, the leopard's head may have changed but will the spots!!!

Really!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dale is obviously scraping the barrel!!!!! Struggle to be financially competitive in PDFNL therefore no hope in the MFL, not anywhere near the top 3 in spend.

Did you sign the agreement by yesterdays cut off date Roar?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yea I did , just waiting for the 2.5 billion usd to be deposited into my account.
Never knew I had decendents that were
royalty although grateful that they left me so much coin.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back