Position 2019 rucks

Remove this Banner Ad

Goldstein is an interesting one. Ill be considering him as an option if it looks like Preuss plays and affects Gawn enough. If Gawn is named 1 out then I think id rather pay up.

Jacobs could be the one for value with a view to trading him to Gawn at some point (Jacobs increase by 15, Gawn reduce by 5-10 and you've got a worthwhile 20-25 benefit) but im just not sold on it. If Jacobs was 50k cheaper then I would. Jacobs plays like he did last year and he will get dropped at some point and id expect some resting at some point even if he goes well.
The report coming out of Melbourne yesterday was that Gawn will spend a lot more time forward this year allowing Preuss to spend time in ruck. I'm not even considering starting Gawn.

The report coming out of Melbourne yesterday was that Gawn will spend a lot more time forward this year allowing Preuss to spend time in ruck. I'm not even considering starting Gawn.
Yeah I'm not convinced on Gawn but he's probably 3rd choice at the moment

Grundy Goldy and Grundy Lycett are the two combos I'm considering currently

If Lycett has a strong preseason I'll be happy to take him as a tactical pick at R2, work out who's the best ruckman to take at R2 as the season goes on then move him forward as a F6-7/R3

Gawn and Preuss played together yesterday.
Gawn didn't go forward, he basically rucked and dominated v the pies.
Preuss played forward, kicked a couple
Quotes from Gawn post game suggested to me Preuss playing once season starts and full team in is no forgone conclusion.
Basically sounded like he was playing McDonald’s forward role

Interesting ideas, I'm likely to not go Gawn at R2 and one from the tier below him.
Darcy could be the one to really shoot up if Sandi is still listed as 4+ weeks away at rd 1.
If he is listed as 6 weeks then Darcy a strong candidate. 4 would be a worthwhile risk as may not expect Sandi to replace him straight up perhaps or with his history have another setback. If its 2-3 probably too risky

Similar price to English but if plays will be their R1, whereas it feels to me English may be 2nd fiddle to Trengove and therefore still throw out some 40s-50s.

Darcy could be the one to really shoot up if Sandi is still listed as 4+ weeks away at rd 1.
If he is listed as 6 weeks then Darcy a strong candidate. 4 would be a worthwhile risk as may not expect Sandi to replace him straight up perhaps or with his history have another setback. If its 2-3 probably too risky

Similar price to English but if plays will be their R1, whereas it feels to me English may be 2nd fiddle to Trengove and therefore still throw out some 40s-50s.

Sean Darcy got injured in Freos intraclub i think

Quotes from Gawn post game suggested to me Preuss playing once season starts and full team in is no forgone conclusion.
Basically sounded like he was playing McDonald’s forward role
Yeah I'm not convinced on Gawn and Preuss until TMac is in the side with them and we get an idea on the roles and ruck time shared

Grundy/Goldy or Grundy/Lycett for me now

If a Port ruck goes down in JLT then Grundy/Westhoff becomes a potential option

Vardy an option? Will be #1 ruck now and is entering the age when a former spud ruck can blossom.

Durability a concern I guess, but he has been on the park a lot more in the last two seasons. No real scoring past to get excited about either, but has never really been number 1 before.

Also has DPP as a bonus, so could end up as bench cover later in season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vardy an option? Will be #1 ruck now and is entering the age when a former spud ruck can blossom.

Durability a concern I guess, but he has been on the park a lot more in the last two seasons. No real scoring past to get excited about either, but has never really been number 1 before.

Also has DPP as a bonus, so could end up as bench cover later in season.
Hickey injured long term?

Sean Darcy got injured in Freos intraclub i think
named for JLT1 so he is clearly not a significant injury concern from the practice match

I tend to think he is the only challenger for my R2 at the moment. If he comes out and scores well and I decide I need a cash grab

Hickey in the mix but not necessarily best 22... Vardy is definitely number one.
Imo Vardy has better job security because he can play forward too

Hickey I feel will be number one ruck though until NicNat is fit again, all depends how tall West Coast want to go, but Vardy easily plays the Lycett role

named for JLT1 so he is clearly not a significant injury concern from the practice match

I tend to think he is the only challenger for my R2 at the moment. If he comes out and scores well and I decide I need a cash grab
Darcy is only an AFLF pick imo

472k is midpricer/value premium territory and at that price you keep him all season in this format. He won't score enough to be relevant all season, he'll need to be upgraded.

Lycett for a season long F6-7/R2-3 swing for 78k more is a far better option for a starting R2, I'm considering it in both SC/DT for different reasons.

If Bellchambers or Stanley get injured then Clarke or Fort for R2 would be relevant for a period, then they get upgraded on.

Darcy is only an AFLF pick imo

472k is midpricer/value premium territory and at that price you keep him all season in this format. He won't score enough to be relevant all season, he'll need to be upgraded.

Lycett for a season long F6-7/R2-3 swing for 78k more is a far better option for a starting R2, I'm considering it in both SC/DT for different reasons.

If Bellchambers or Stanley get injured then Clarke or Fort for R2 would be relevant for a period, then they get upgraded on.
Ha I for some reason actually started to think this was an AF thread (always go to it from my alerts/watched not the actual board!). I tend to agree, im much more likely to avoid in RDT also as if Sandi did come back in say Rd 5 it'd be really awkward timing and not even able to cash in on him.

If Sandi was confirmed to miss the 1st 8 say then id still consider him at that price if it meant I was really happy with the rest of my team. The same argument re not good enough for keeper and not cheap enough for cash cow can be made about any other ruck option outside Gawn/Grundy at this point IMO so if not going the big 2 he still sits as a very strong choice

If Fort and Clarke were both named rd 1 the ballsy season on the line selection would be going both of those. It really would be all or nothing risk though (and I dont think both will play rd 1)

Ha I for some reason actually started to think this was an AF thread (always go to it from my alerts/watched not the actual board!). I tend to agree, im much more likely to avoid in RDT also as if Sandi did come back in say Rd 5 it'd be really awkward timing and not even able to cash in on him.

If Sandi was confirmed to miss the 1st 8 say then id still consider him at that price if it meant I was really happy with the rest of my team. The same argument re not good enough for keeper and not cheap enough for cash cow can be made about any other ruck option outside Gawn/Grundy at this point IMO so if not going the big 2 he still sits as a very strong choice

If Fort and Clarke were both named rd 1 the ballsy season on the line selection would be going both of those. It really would be all or nothing risk though (and I dont think both will play rd 1)
If Darcy had DPP then yep he'd be an option imo, but I just feel if you're paying over 300k for anyone in this format then you keep them preferably for the season, if not then get to the byes then upgrade on their bye while you've got an extra trade up your sleeve, under that price then treat as a rookie until they're maxed out

I'd yolo with Fort/Clarke at R2 if the injury report was dire in the medium term for whoever was the senior ruckman at those clubs then just bolster another position, probably forward

I feel Goldy could challenge Gawn for R2, but wait and see on the Gawn/Preuss/Tmac situation

Martin, Witts and Goldstein all have the potential to be keepers.

If Fort is not named R1 (likely), would it be stupid to go a player like Sweet over him and save 20k given sweet is in a similar position on the depth chart?

With having to upgrade Adams, my spare cash for getting the right rookies has become more thin. If Smith plays for Bulldogs rd1 ill find it hard to pass him up so then playing around currently it looks like I could easily be anywhere from $400-$20k short on preferred rookies depending on how team selections fall rd1.

Could then be a decision on maximising cash at R3, downgrading a premium to slightly cheaper one (currently not look like theres any obvious options there as ive lead toward the cheaper options when making line ball calls) or perhaps more likely dropping a mid pricer (eg Hanley and having 2 on field def rookies or Greene and having 3 on field up forward) then going into the season with probably 100k in the bank.

If Fort is not named R1 (likely), would it be stupid to go a player like Sweet over him and save 20k given sweet is in a similar position on the depth chart?

With having to upgrade Adams, my spare cash for getting the right rookies has become more thin. If Smith plays for Bulldogs rd1 ill find it hard to pass him up so then playing around currently it looks like I could easily be anywhere from $400-$20k short on preferred rookies depending on how team selections fall rd1.

Could then be a decision on maximising cash at R3, downgrading a premium to slightly cheaper one (currently not look like theres any obvious options there as ive lead toward the cheaper options when making line ball calls) or perhaps more likely dropping a mid pricer (eg Hanley and having 2 on field def rookies or Greene and having 3 on field up forward) then going into the season with probably 100k in the bank.
My R3 will be the lowest possible priced non playing Ruc/Fwd. Need to have someone not playing in order to utilise captain's loophole each week.
It's always a good idea having a reasonable amount of cash left over come round 1. You don't know who will spring up in the first couple of weeks that you must bring in and its's frustrating only to find yourself $2K short.

My R3 will be the lowest possible priced non playing Ruc/Fwd. Need to have someone not playing in order to utilise captain's loophole each week.
It's always a good idea having a reasonable amount of cash left over come round 1. You don't know who will spring up in the first couple of weeks that you must bring in and its's frustrating only to find yourself $2K short.
i think ill go the same, especially if Fort fails to impress in JLT. If he were right in the mix for R1 then thats different due to potential cash generation, but if he still looks speculative then not worth the sacrifice.

I agree re the $$ and thats largely why Adams being out hurts so much more. I went from having significant free cash to none in no time (especially I if B Smith does look a starting option, if not that frees up a small amount, but not the 100k + I was comfortable having).

I think it was Hall I just switched on to see vision of getting injured though so that could change things for me yet again!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back