Review Rd 1, 2019: Win vs Sydney - autopsy. 82-65

Remove this Banner Ad

Observations

• Lloyd was fantastic

• Bont best on. He’s ready to prove he’s the best young midfielder in the game. Maybe best overall (?)

•Naughton can dominate no matter where we play him.

•Duryea was absolutely pivotal in defense.

• Bevo’s game plan was fantastic.

•the hate for the Thor guernsey was overblown.

Great result, really dreaded the seemingly inevitable rush of goals in the last but it never eventuated. Great to see Buddy stuff up his set shot.

Major positives:
  1. Lloyd - cheap and effective
  2. Libba was back to his old self. A bit less clean and working back into it but good.
  3. Wallis was a bull, so was Dunkley
  4. Naughton was superb. Suspect he’ll go back if Schache fires and Boyd comes back but he could make a good career of it forward if needed
  5. Bont and Macrae were both very good

Less good
  1. Schache was seriously looking like being dropped until the last ten minutes when a few nice efforts saved him. No marks.
  2. English does nice things but has a little way to go
  3. Dickson looks cooked
  4. A general loss of composure for a lot of the fourth before cooler heads took control of the ship
The important thing is we are showing we have a bright future. We finished last year strong and can go forward from here. May not be good enough for finals but I think we can make this year very productive.

What a win. It shows that the JLT didn’t mean much. We structured up the same way but played in 2nd and 3rd gear, had bad skill and decision making errors yet didn’t lose by much.
Tonight we nailed it for 85% of the game and we looked like a dangerous team.
Our zone squeezed the swans hard for 3 1/2 qtrs to the point they couldn’t get any clean football out of their back half.
Our mids were on top for most of the game and our entries in to fwd 50 were in sinc with our fwds leads ( for large parts of the game )
Our defenders pressed high to make the zone work but worked hard to get back and defend the high ball with third man up.
Was so pleasing to see everyone play their role to a tee.
I’d go as far as saying that a lesser oppo wouldn’t have gotten close to us tonight. Swans are a good team with an A Grade defence yet we created so many chances. Their mids are also strong and that mixed with their strong fwd line almost won them the match when we ran out of steam at the start of the last qtr.
To our credit we cracked in again to win it.
So many things to like about tonight with only skill errors, bad decision making going inside 50 and the drop in gear, all during that 10 period in the last, the negatives.
Those things are all player driven. So I can see our game plan and structures causing havoc for most teams this year as it did the swans for 3+ qtrs, IF we implement for long periods, most weeks.

I will say though, that with such a young and inexperienced side we may struggle to play this way all season. But if we do... *in look out !!!

Last edited:
The English criticism is off the mark.

Yes, we can play Trengove now for a more consistent, maybe more reliable performance. However, there is more upside to persevere with an athletic 205cm beast who is not only good below his knees but has a solid skill set and has put the time in the gym to be close to what he and the team requires.

Patience friends, we have a good one in the making.

Great win tonight. Super happy. Just came home from the game and this is how I saw it. That no.10 umpire is shithouse, nearly cost us the game. English was great in the ruck and 2nd efforts tonight, Lloyd, match winner, missed a goal on the run early he shouldn’t miss, but won the game for us with his tackle that set up Bont’s goal, then kicked the sealer himself. Schache is getting better every week, love him long term. Naughton is the most exciting player for us since Chris Grant. Big call, but I’ll stand by it.

Libba was back to his best, absolutely buggered in the last. Caleb Daniel was everywhere, he does things in the air he has no right to at his height! Bont, all class apart from some terrible kicks. Duryea did some great things, but had to go harder at a few contests, love his left foot kicking. Dicko did some good things, but I think he’s past it unfortunately. Bailey Williams has a nightmare. Bailey Smith looked like he struggled to get the pace first half, but did some good things in the 2nd half, will be a player, not ready yet. Gowers goes hard early but fades in games, some consistency in his goal kicking would be nice. Dunkley throws himself at some ridiculous contests, hard as nails him.

Loved tonight’s game from the side, a lot to be positive about going forward. Go Dogs

Less good
  1. Schache was seriously looking like being dropped until the last ten minutes when a few nice efforts saved him. No marks.
  2. English does nice things but has a little way to go
  3. Dickson looks cooked
  4. A general loss of composure for a lot of the fourth before cooler heads took control

See people say I’m negative but some of this is just wrong and has to be called out

1- I’m no fan of Shaq but his attack on the ball tonight was the best it’s ever been and he worked his ass off. Couldn’t get many touches but his effort can not be questioned

2- he is a 20 year old ruckman what do people expect?

3- Dicko was cooked a year ago

4- compusure is alway lacking in young teams which we are, the concernin part for me was Hunter and Sucklings turn overs. They shouldn’t be doing that

Can’t deny the influence of one Aaron Naughton. Keen to see how the forward line develops with him as the threat.
Buys coffee at Alpha, Seddon

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The English criticism is off the mark.

Yes, we can play Trengove now for a more consistent, maybe more reliable performance. However, there is more upside to persevere with an athletic 205cm beast who is not only good below his knees but has a solid skill set and has put the time in the gym to be close to what he and the team requires.

Patience friends, we have a good one in the making.
So you're saying we should sacrifice consistency and performance right now for the sake of the future? If we were rebuilding, I'd be inclined to agree, but I think this team is more than capable of contending, therefore I believe we should be fielding the best possible team every week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My cat got into a fight on Fri. at 1.30 am with a local feral. I took Friday off to tend to him and he was not up to staring out the window so I watched the game

Frankly I don't think we are making a big enough deal about the performance of Matt Damon in securing the win tonight

We started playing like crap when Gil decided to slide up against him but as soon as Matt began to ignore him we came good

Thanks Matt!! And thanks channel 7 for providing us with such compelling vision of the moments that matter

Libba was as Libba does. Damn he was good

So you're saying we should sacrifice consistency and performance right now for the sake of the future? If we were rebuilding, I'd be inclined to agree, but I think this team is more than capable of contending, therefore I believe we should be fielding the best possible team every week.

The margin isn’t that big, is all I’m saying. English is improving, this will be his year that his performances become more to the level and consistent.

Patience. 3rd year now, signs are already showing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back